New computer smoked

If you say Tech Support really fast and replace the first T with an S it's like Sex Support lolololol.

New computer smoked

Postby TheRaven7 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:50 am

Yeah so last night I finished building a new computer and when I plugged it in there was a moment of joy followed by the horror of seeing a slow waft of smoke coming out of the front panel. I turn it off and unplug the ODD, thinking that's what was burning. Well I take it out and there's no evidence of fire. I turn the computer on again, and it runs without any smoke or anything, so I turn it off again and reconnect the ODD. Turn it on again and it still runs no problem.

At this point I realize running it is risky but after checking the connections and realizing there's no obvious cause of the smoke I decide to run the BIOS to see how the voltages and temps were. The only difference is that the LEDs on the two front fans won't work. I suspect these burned out because of the retarded way they're wired (by Corsair). The two fans are each connected by a splitter to a cord that goes up into the front panel, where there is a button to turn on/off only the lights (the fans are always on and are still working). Then another cable comes back down the case with a molex connector. I checked to make sure the molex was connected correctly (it was) but the light button isn't working. I do not know why the lights burnt out, and am afraid that even though everything else seems to be running properly now, that long-term use of the computer might cause problems.

I am inclined to return or get a new case, but then I would fear it would do the same thing. Everyone in the house is all like RMA EVERYTHING OR THE HOUSE WILL BURN DOWN. They suggest I just order the build off Cyberpower, but I have only read bad things about them (although my dad's latest PC was from them and he loves it). What should I do?
TheRaven7

Re: New computer smoked

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:32 am

That's so Raven.
Turkey_Slayer

Re: New computer smoked

Postby TheRaven7 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:35 am

That's so helpful.

Spoiler:

I contacted Corsair and they're sending me a new panel. That's nice, except now I have to figure out how to access that part of the case.
TheRaven7

Return to Tech Support