Rescuing a hard drive

If you say Tech Support really fast and replace the first T with an S it's like Sex Support lolololol.

Rescuing a hard drive

Postby Gorbadoc » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:27 am

Some time ago, a friend's PC refused to start. She couldn't figure out the problem and the computer was an old piece of crap (BIOS claims it's from 2004), so she simply bought a new one. Because I'm entirely too nice, I offered to try to rescue the old hard drive so she could have her data.

Main objective:
Assuming the hard drive isn't outright broken, should I be able to get the data from it if I simply hook it up to another PC as a slave device?

Optional objective:
What might be wrong with it? I give the computer power; it comes up with the "Windows failed to start; How do you want to start? Normal Mode/ Use Last Successful Settings/ etc." page. No matter what mode I select, it thinks about it a little, acts like it's starting to load, then restarts.

By mashing Delete after picking a startup mode, I was able to get the BIOS to come up, but I didn't figure out anything from it.
"Oh, you have promise. But wait until you have more years fall upon you, and you will see what a shell your heart will become."
-Kreia
Gorbadoc

Re: Rescuing a hard drive

Postby Ensabahnur » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:49 am

Main objective:
Assuming the hard drive isn't outright broken, should I be able to get the data from it if I simply hook it up to another PC as a slave device?

This should work, assuming the hard drive itself isn't significantly damaged. I've also heard you can freeze the drive - literally put it in a plastic bag, seal it and stick it in your freezer overnight then take it out and put it in a PC that should give you enough time to get the data off of it.

Otherwise if that doesn't work try this:

DL a Linux Live CD and burn the ISO to the CD. Insert CD. Go into BIOs and tell it to boot to the CD first, follow what it tells you.

When it comes up the bad drive should show up on the desktop from there copy/paste what you want to a flash/usb drive.
Ensabahnur

Re: Rescuing a hard drive

Postby Gorbadoc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:53 am

The Live CD worked. Good call. Saves me some physical tinkering.
Gorbadoc

Return to Tech Support