Hard Drive crash?

If you say Tech Support really fast and replace the first T with an S it's like Sex Support lolololol.

Hard Drive crash?

Postby gandalf37 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:04 am

Ok I had the weirdest thing happen to me last night:

1. Computer was idling with nothing running (not even msn) for a couple hours, walked into the room to find it had blue screened.
2. Restarted computer, windows wouldn't start, instead I got some Hard Drive configuration error message.
3. Shut off computer completely including hard switch in back. Turned it back on and got a new error message that System32/Hal.dll was missing or corrupt.
4. Tried putting in windows cd to repair, it wouldn't completely boot into the cd for some reason.
5. Now this is where it gets interesting. I put in a Western Digital hard drive testing program (I've used this before) and it didn't even see my main hard drive. It saw my second one, but my windows hard drive wasn't even on the list.
6. I opened up my case, disconnected the hard drive, replugged it back in and then everything was ok. I didn't even need to repair windows or anything.

So my question is....wtf? Does anyone have any ideas as to what happened and if I should be concerned? Thanks.
gandalf37

Re: Hard Drive crash?

Postby Ensabahnur » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:26 am

Did it come with a diagnostics cd for the hard drive? If you have one you could try running that.

TBH I wouldn't worry about it until unless it happens again.
Ensabahnur

Re: Hard Drive crash?

Postby gandalf37 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:40 am

gandalf37 wrote:5. Now this is where it gets interesting. I put in a Western Digital hard drive testing program (I've used this before) and it didn't even see my main hard drive. It saw my second one, but my windows hard drive wasn't even on the list.

That's what this program is. I ran it again after it started working and it had no errors.

Yeah, I'm not going to worry about it too much, I was just wondering if someone had an idea of wtf happened and how physically unplugging the hd from the computer and plugging it back in would fix it.

Thanks.
gandalf37

Return to Tech Support