Netbooks.

If you say Tech Support really fast and replace the first T with an S it's like Sex Support lolololol.

Re: Netbooks.

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:34 am

You'll be stuck there for nine cycles.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Bobwich III » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Making my semi-annual trip to this forum, did you end up buying a netbook? I bought an Asus Eee PC 1005-HA and really liked it.
Bobwich III

Postby Myth » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:52 pm

I did not, yet, but I probably should. And when I do, it will likely be an Eee. :)
Myth

Postby Cassiel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:55 pm

Eee is my favorite name for anything ever.
Cassiel

Postby Myth » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:57 pm

I say it with a smile at how silly and delightful it is.
Myth

Postby Bobwich III » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:17 am

Just a heads up on a few negatives I've had with it. The finger scrolling isn't really as smooth as my Acer laptop but turning down the sensitivity a lot helps. Even with that, for some reason it doesn't feel as smooth as my laptop. The reviews I've seen also seem to bring up that issue.

Also a potentially bigger issue, is when I bought mine (October 09), the battery charger had a supposedly high chance of overheating and breaking. And apparently customer support is abysmal in trying to get a new one. I never had a problem with mine and I would assume they would have fixed that issue since then. I pretty much only plug in my adapter when I need to charge it and then pull it out when it's charged and it works fine.

Everything else about it is lovely (8 hr battery life, comes with a case, 3 lbs, looks nice for a netbook, fingerprints though). I bought a 2 GB ram stick (~$40) and threw it in, which was ridiculously easy.
Bobwich III

Postby diab knows his password » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:24 am

Fuck the iPad haters. It is a really nice device if you want a "netbook." If I had to pick between my laptop (Toshiba Qosmio F55-Q502) and my iPad, I'd pick the iPad.

Web browsing? ipad
Email? ipad
Chat? ipad
Documents? ipad with the keyboard addon.
Games? OK... why would I play games on a netbook?
Netflix? Xbox 360

Looks like the ipad wins.
diab knows his password

Postby Cassiel » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:50 am

That could be the single weakest argument for the iPad I've ever seen. I can get a device to do every single thing you just listed for less than half the cost of the cheapest iPad. This device would also be able to do the million things an iPad cannot do.

Fail.
Cassiel

Postby theboogleman » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:43 am

iPad wins if you chose to be a total douche.
theboogleman

Postby Myth » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:15 am

Yet AGAIN I must REITERATE that I am purchasing said netbook to take to class and take notes on, rather than lugging my 18 pound monster to and from every day.

HAVING TO BRING A SEPARATE KEYBOARD WITH ME DEFEATS THE PURPOSE. This is one of the MANY reasons the iPad is not a solution for me. Also I have no idea what the iPad costs - it appears that the 64G model says 3G would run me over $700 - but that is more than I want/need to spend to meet my needs.

I am not buying an iPad. There is another thread in TFatS for the iPad debate. I was after netbook brand suggestions, ie the superiority of the Eee over, say, an HP machine.
Myth

Postby diab knows his password » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Cassiel wrote:That could be the single weakest argument for the iPad I've ever seen. I can get a device to do every single thing you just listed for less than half the cost of the cheapest iPad. This device would also be able to do the million things an iPad cannot do.

Fail.

Except a laptop is bigger and bulkier, lower battery life, etc. Even netbooks are compared to an ipad. What device are you talking about anyway? I'm assuming a small laptop? I have a laptop and an ipad... and I'll take the ipad anytime. It all comes down to personal preference.

If you want a "cost-effective" device then yes, there are better alternatives like PC Netbooks. The ipad is worth its price tag IMO. My ipad's battery life generally lasts 12-13 hours with some heavy work... and if it's idle, it can last for days. I love the fact that I can keep it unplugged for hours upon hours and have 'net practically anywhere I go - AT&T's network is huge. It's a mini-tablet hooked up to one of the US's biggest wireless networks. It's my opinion that the iPad has a good potential to replace data communication and some content creation that we currently do on laptop/PCs.

But yes, for cheapskates, there are better options. You're right on that one at least.

People bashed the iPod when it came out. But yet, today, it's still a popular device. There will always be haters for every device and I'm OK with that. From what I've seen the haters of the iPad are usually techies and the fans are usually regular folk. The bottom line is that I find myself doing typical everyday work on my ipad rather than my laptop or PC.

That being said... if you really want a PC netbook, I'd check out Toshiba ones. I've always been a fan of their laptops because it's fairly easy to swap out parts with them and they're fairly durable. I haven't bought a Toshiba netbook, but I do have a Qosmio F55-Q502 laptop and have had a few Satellite models and they've been amazing. If I were to actually buy a netbook from Toshiba, it'd be a NB305.
diab knows his password

Postby DE » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Myth wrote:Yet AGAIN I must REITERATE that I am purchasing said netbook to take to class and take notes on, rather than lugging my 18 pound monster to and from every day.

HAVING TO BRING A SEPARATE KEYBOARD WITH ME DEFEATS THE PURPOSE. This is one of the MANY reasons the iPad is not a solution for me. Also I have no idea what the iPad costs - it appears that the 64G model says 3G would run me over $700 - but that is more than I want/need to spend to meet my needs.

I am not buying an iPad. There is another thread in TFatS for the iPad debate. I was after netbook brand suggestions, ie the superiority of the Eee over, say, an HP machine.

I just like Asus better than the rest. It just works, it does its job well, never lagged too bad, and fuck me the battery life is great.
DE

Location: Developing compromising photos in a red-room, of course.

Postby Myth » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:27 pm

I'm really happy with my beast Asus laptop, which makes me lean towards an Eee, but my previous laptop was a Toshiba and that sucker went through some bullshit like you've never seen and came out 90% clean. So I'm torn.
Myth

Postby heroicraptor » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:08 pm

Anyone have experience with Acer netbooks?
If fire fighters fight fires and crime fighters fight crime, then what do freedom fighters fight?
heroicraptor

Postby Merlin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:04 am

Do not buy anything from Acer. Everything they make will explode or melt immediately after the 1-year warranty expires.

I'm looking at the Toshiba Satellite A660, and L630, but those aren't netbooks. My sister bought an MSI Wind about a year ago and it worked fine until she spilled something on it. Pretty ugly little thing, though. I'd probably buy an Asus Eee 1201N, or a Toshiba Mini NB300 if I were looking for a netbook right now.

edit: Bought a Sager NP2180.
Merlin

Postby Cassiel » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:12 am

Cassiel wrote:When Steve Jobs dies, which I hope is sooner than later, I'll be at his funeral like those asshole religious protesters who berate the families of fallen soldiers. I'll dance on his grave and talk shit to his family. Fuck that guy and his exploitative business.

So where's the funeral?
Cassiel

Postby Zeuter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:56 am

simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:56 am

Looks like you may have to turn up a notch, Cass. I say shit on his grave and dance on his family. Personally, I've never had that much animosity towards the man, but the thought "what a cocksucker" did pop into my head earlier while I was watching CNN as my truck was getting fixed. It seems to me that he said the same fucking thing at every product unveiling.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Myth » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:45 am

The day he died I was out to lunch with some Volition guys and we were all like, "Yeah, Jobs is a douchebag." Then he died, and I felt the tiniest bit bad.
Myth

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:27 pm

So what are some good netbooks?
Turkey_Slayer

Previous

Return to Tech Support