Network Issues

If you say Tech Support really fast and replace the first T with an S it's like Sex Support lolololol.

Network Issues

Postby Tirion » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:34 pm

So I'm on a network with about 30 other people, with around 3 different lines. Our whole setup is a giant clusterfuck and nothing works right. Does anyone here know of any good online sources that could teach me how to properly network this many computers? I'm googling the googles, but if someone could point me in the right direction that'd really help.
Tirion

Re: Network Issues

Postby Kaz » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:40 pm

What network hardware do you have?
Kaz

Postby Tirion » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:16 pm

We have two netgear switches in a closet, one with 24 ports and another with 48. Ethernet cables running from that closet to every room. Five netgear wireless routers scattered around. The three modems, and a few more routers in there with them I think.

I hope that's what you meant?
Tirion

Postby Kaz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:27 pm

I assume you want to be all connected together but with each your appropriate internet line? There's no easy and clean way to do this with consumer hardware. You'd need smart switches and real routers (consumer routers are just dumb switches + gateways.)

You definitely need to deactivate DHCP on every router. Everyone makes sure they're in the same subnet with no conflicting addresses and assigns themselves their proper gateway. That won't do at all if your hosts change often and different folks keep hopping on the wireless.

Have a computer run a DHCP server and assign a reservation to every known host (this will take a while) with a default gateway for people hopping in and out.

You probably also have a physical bottleneck. Do your switches have 1000 mb ports? They should be connected together with those, and ideally the routers as well.
Kaz

Return to Tech Support