computer fail scare

If you say Tech Support really fast and replace the first T with an S it's like Sex Support lolololol.

Re: computer fail scare

Postby Ensabahnur » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Did it POST?
Ensabahnur

Postby gandalf37 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:18 am

If the case has power then it sounds like your mobo is fried. Or at least the power connection to it.
gandalf37

Postby gandalf37 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:17 am

A mobo I had fried without so much as a pop.

There is no way to know for sure what it is unless you either try a different power supply or hook your power supply up to a different mobo. Either way, it is one or the other.
gandalf37

Postby Ensabahnur » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:46 pm

There is no way to know for sure what it is unless you either try a different power supply or hook your power supply up to a different mobo. Either way, it is one or the other.
Ensabahnur

Postby gandalf37 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:08 pm

TheRaven7 wrote:Hopefully the problem is the CPU shutting down due to overheating and the new paste will fix that.

There is no way the CPU will overheat high enough to prevent anything from coming on instantly when you push the power button. You'll at least have a couple seconds of power and post before it shuts down to protect the CPU and in this case everything will shut off as if you flipped the power switch. I can tell you from what you describe, 99.99999% certain it is not overheating.
gandalf37

Postby Ensabahnur » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:19 am

I agree with Gand with what your describing it's most certainly not overheating
Ensabahnur

Postby Ensabahnur » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Doesn't matter alcohol or water will do just fine. Put it on a cloth, don't spray or dump it on there lol.

Whatever you do don't take a vacuum to it.
Ensabahnur

Postby gandalf37 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:21 am

TheRaven7 wrote:There's a PWR_FAN connector on the motherboard but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to plug in there

Didn't your new mobo come with a manual? In there it usually says what things are for. It is probably connection to power a fan, not to do with your power supply fan.
gandalf37

Postby gandalf37 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:23 pm

I have an asus and the manual it came with is actually pretty good. Guess it depends on the mobo.

I didn't know that. I got a pretty main stream PSU (Corsair) and it doesn't have it. Good to know, thanks!
gandalf37

Postby Myth » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:19 am

This is going to seem like a really, really dumb question, so forgive me in advance.

You DID take a can of air to everything, right? And really gotten in there and cleaned everything? Fans, connections, tops and bottoms, etc?

The only reason I ask is because I was having massive issues with my old jet engine. It got to the point where all her fans were going, and I had her side off and a big box fan blowing on her, and I was like, "Noooo, motherboard, don't die yet, we can't afford a new computerrrrrr" Then one day I had an epiphany and went to Best Buy and bought two cans of air, and went crazy. And then suddenly she ran like new and had no problems. And I put her back together again.

I'm sure you've done this. Just offering my idiot two cents.
Myth

Postby windigo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:31 am

My last ASUS ran hot too - it would go a little above 40 at times. It never lead to any problems I was aware of though.

Unrelated - that board died when I put the video card from hell into it (testing for a friend of a friend). Smoke came out - motherboard and CPU killed. Cost me a lot of money. Last time I test shit for people :(
windigo
Site Admin

Postby Ensabahnur » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Get a new PSU bro.
Ensabahnur

Postby windigo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:42 pm

Certainly test it with a diff. PSU but I don't think it'll be that.

Take out/unplug everything non-essential. Could be a mobo problem. Also re-seat everything and put the board on a different surface to see if the bottom might be grounding weird. I've had that happen once to me - something on the mounting was causing a problem somehow - probably not directly but with whatever combination of shit that was going on.

Basically try it with a video card you know works and 1 stick of RAM. reset the CMOS, etc.
windigo
Site Admin

Return to Tech Support