Software suggestions.

If you say Tech Support really fast and replace the first T with an S it's like Sex Support lolololol.

Software suggestions.

Postby Myth » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi guys. For work, I need software that turns pdfs into Word or *.doc files. Preferably free. (As in, this is for work and I am not spending money on it.) Suggestions?

I am looking for something easy and free, as I am working from home for the next few weeks while campus is shut down and I have no access to this stuff in the libraries or my office. Thanks in advance.
Myth

Re: Software suggestions.

Postby Kaz » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:05 pm

I'm assuming the pdfs contain text that isn't actually text (selectable, copy-pastable, etc.) but some sort of text image or scan?

What you're looking for is OCR software. There are free programs but the good stuff is usually pay. Still, if the source text isn't lopsided and full of noise I've had reliable luck with the free stuff.
Kaz

Re: Software suggestions.

Postby Myth » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:42 pm

Kaz wrote:I'm assuming the pdfs contain text that isn't actually text (selectable, copy-pastable, etc.) but some sort of text image or scan?

Yes.

I'll try the OCR software. It just has to enable me to get SOME work done to email to a post-doc who's about to be breathing down my neck. Thanks, Kaz. :)
Myth

Return to Tech Support