I'm f'ed

If you say Tech Support really fast and replace the first T with an S it's like Sex Support lolololol.

I'm f'ed

Postby StrikeRaider » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:37 am

My laptop keeps automatically shutting down. It does not blue screen or even leave an error in event viewer. I've also had it shut down on me while in BIOS. I'm pretty sure it's fucked.
StrikeRaider

Re: I'm f'ed

Postby Ensabahnur » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:49 am

PCs will shut themselves off if they are overheating, is the fan working? Anything blocking the airways?
Ensabahnur

Postby gandalf37 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:31 am

If it shuts down in BIOS it is most likely either an over heating issue as Ensa says or a power issue. Can't be RAM or HD as in BIOS it's not using those things yet. Could be the mobo but it likely wouldn't boot up at all if it was fried.

One thing you can do is find the temperature read out in your BIOS and watch it for a while to see how high it is climbing.
gandalf37

Postby StrikeRaider » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:53 pm

If it was the temp I think I'd be able to feel it. It idles at 55.
StrikeRaider

Postby Ensabahnur » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:21 am

It's possible this is a motherboard or power issue like Gandy said. Not sure how technical you are but if you have a warranty on the laptop I probably wouldn't open it up.

Otherwise I've run into similar problems on desktops, open it up and look at the motherboard - check for blown or leaking capacitors if you see anything like that your motherboard is ****'d.

Assuming you haven't installed new hardware in your laptop then it's possible that your power supply/controller is failing - I also assume this problem happens when the laptop is running on the battery alone and when it's plugged in.
Ensabahnur

Postby gandalf37 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:36 pm

55 is pretty hot, but not hot enough to shut down to protect itself.

Pretty much what Ensa says, hopefully you can send it in.

I have had this problem with every single one of my desktops and in every case it was either my PSU or overheating.
gandalf37

Postby StrikeRaider » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:56 pm

So they sent a tech out to look at it. Apparently it was the fan after all, but it was a defective one with electrical problems. Wonder why it took 8 months for it to act up though.
StrikeRaider

Postby GraveI » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:45 pm

Maybe it's different for laptops but for a computer to be idling at 55 is nothing these days.
I said, YEAH BABY YEAH, I am the evil Midnight Bomber what bombs things at midnight!
GraveI

Return to Tech Support