Crappy Wireless Crap

If you say Tech Support really fast and replace the first T with an S it's like Sex Support lolololol.

Crappy Wireless Crap

Postby Mur » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:57 am

Hey guys.

For a week, this little wireless thingie I've got worked fine. then suddenly, over a few days, it's gone to pieces. No matter what network I connect to (A few of my neighbours don't secure their networks) it's shite.

I literally changed nothing. But for 3 days it's been useless.

I'm using a Linksys Wireless-G USB Network adapter.

I would just say it was wireless being wireless, but for a few days it was fine.

It's a pretty cheap piece of equipment. Would coughing up a few more coins get me a more stable connection?
More like murlurk.
Mur

Re: Crappy Wireless Crap

Postby Ensabahnur » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:34 pm

1. XP or Vista?
2. Assuming this is one of those USB things your just plug in, does this happen when you plug it into a different USB port?
3. How far are you from your router?
4. Have you updated the drivers?
5. Are these those $25 ones?
Ensabahnur

Postby Mur » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:40 pm

1. XP
2. Some days it seems to work better in different USB ports. I haven't found a pattern really.
3. 2 floors away, most of the time I have a stronger connection from nextdoor neighbours.
4. I looked, but the updated drivers seem to be for vista. Didn't find any xp ones.
5. It was pretty fucking dirt cheap. About £20 I think. So...$35? I suck at exchange rates.
More like murlurk.
Mur

Postby Ensabahnur » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:56 pm

From how it sounds I'd say its just wireless being wireless. I've heard those cheap ones either don't last long or are unstable.

Do you have another PC you could try using it in? If it does the same crap in another PC this would confirm that it's a problem with the device itself and not a problem with your PC.

Laptop or desktop?

Edit:

If you want to replace it with another cheap one I'd try:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833166037

Otherwise simply installing a wireless card is usually better - I did this a few years ago and mine still works great, although it'll cost you more.
Ensabahnur

Postby Mur » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:25 pm

Desktop..no alternative pc about.

I think I have a wireless card gathering dust somewhere, just cba with it atm, and it isnt much better than my current.

I've been told PCI connected thingies work well. With antennas.
More like murlurk.
Mur

Postby gandalf37 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:27 pm

I got a linksys PCI wireless card (G, not N) for my desktop a couple months ago. Haven't had any problems with it on XP or Windows 7.

Seeing as they aren't your networks and you have no idea what is happening on them, there is the possibility that they are downloading or doing something to interfere with ur connection and when you have had successful connections, they weren't home or whatnot.
gandalf37

Postby Ensabahnur » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:22 am

This is possible but highly unlikely.

If they aren't smart enough to secure their wireless network I high doubt they are capable of tampering with your wireless connection.

The wireless card I use is a PCI with an antenna as well.
Ensabahnur

Postby Mur » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks for the help so far guys. Here's some updates :P

Well, my network seems to be stable most of the time, but then some nights is awful. I don't really feel like going on an inquisition to find out which one of my 10 housemates (some of whom I don't even know the names of) is downloading something.

And then a neighbours connection is usually just too weak to keep me online.

So thinking of just paying for something more expensive. seems to be the best solution. I found a PCI card avec antenna lying around, that is also bottom-of-the-range. And that gave me a worse connection than my other thingy.

Either that or try to get a wired connection. I do have a socket in my room that I believe still roughly ends up in the room with the router, but they replaced it all with wireless so really dont think that is an option :<
More like murlurk.
Mur

Postby Ensabahnur » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:45 am

If you had the ability to log into the router you could adjust the bandwidth being used by each user.
Ensabahnur

Postby Mur » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:41 am

Heya, sorry, been a busy week.

How would I go about logging into the router?

My student loan has come through now so I might just buy something new. =D Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch for all the help btw :)
More like murlurk.
Mur

Postby Ensabahnur » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:28 am

1. Plug your PC directly into the router.
2. Type in 192.168.0.1 in a web browser.
3. Log in (often times people leave the default username/password alone, look up the make and model of the router and find out what it is, chances are it'll let you in).
Ensabahnur

Postby windigo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Do you have a strong enough signal? If possible test your connection to something on the local network and see if that's consistent. That'll narrow down the problem to either being your setup or the pipe coming in.

Also - if it is your signal being shitty - try moving your wireless to another channel. If you and your neighbors are all on the default channel it can cause problems. (this will require logging into your router - google the model of your router).

You can also take a Pringles (a tall can of chips - aka crisps where you're at) can and make it work like a directional antenna - it actually work really well.
windigo
Site Admin

Return to Tech Support