Laptops

If you say Tech Support really fast and replace the first T with an S it's like Sex Support lolololol.

Laptops

Postby ProblemLyric » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:34 pm

So I'm looking for a laptop to use in school and to game with too since my pc is getting to old and rather then upgrade this I figure I'll just spend that money plus a little more for a laptop. I'm looking at this one http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/conf ... px?mid=290 but was wondering what you guys thought if I get that one I will probably get 4 gigs of ram in it instead of 2.
[16:41] TheShaxist: dude, i bet a penis cake would taste pretty good though
ProblemLyric

Re: Laptops

Postby Herosbane » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:42 pm

I'm in the same boat. I was actually thinking a Lenovo Thinkpad because tablets turn me on.
Herosbane

Postby Setsuna » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:20 pm

In all honesty, gaming laptops are not all they are cracked up to be...
The power is there, but the heat has to go somewhere, and it usually ends up wrecking the laptop. As well most being fairly heavy and large to be "on-the-go".

But anyway...

What you have so far is decent, it's a good deal for what you're getting. Get the faster RPM on your HD, it's minor thing that makes a difference...

2 gigs is really all you need. I use 2 gigs on my computer, given it's not a gaming computer (it's a iMac). I use it to render on After Effects and Maya, being dual core intel, and having the 2 gigs cuts down my render times, and the memory really helps a lot if you have a lot of rendering to do. But for gaming, (i haven't really been keeping up on the market, so I have no idea what requirements are like these days), but personally, I've never needed more than 2, even for the type of work that's pretty demanding on memory, and the need to render things.

My friends have never really needed more than 2 either, they are pretty big gamers as well...

As for the thinkpad, I don't know too much about the tablet... but... the T60 is a pretty good choice, it's more for work, but can definitly run some games fairly well, even for the type of laptop it is. A buddy of mine got one, he uses it for school, but he put CS:Source on it, and it runs pretty well...
Setsuna

Postby ProblemLyric » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:50 pm

I forgot how shitty Ibuypower was so I guess I am taking recommendations on a laptop. I want one that can get like 3 hours battery life in like power saving mode so I can take it to my classes, but also be able to play the newer games on like medium settings or something. Does Asus make quality notebooks? Because the new one I'm looking at is this one. I think it accomplishes everything I want but I still want to make a good purchase and I don't know how well asus quality is.
[16:41] TheShaxist: dude, i bet a penis cake would taste pretty good though
ProblemLyric

Postby windigo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:54 pm

That's a perfectly fine laptop, Lyric. I still would never really recommend a laptop for anything but light gaming.

I use a MacBook Pro from work - its pretty legit. T8300, 2 GB, Geforce8600 but it still suffers.

The problem is heat, hard drive speed (5400 rpm really can be a little factor), power use, etc.

Does it work for gaming? Sure. Just not the way a desktop would. I use a laptop to play lots of games - Diablo 2, Guild Wars, Civ 4 for example. Though I haven't play D2 or GW in a year or so.

Still though, I'd definitely consider a cheaper, smaller laptop for academic use and a mid range PC for gaming.

I just built my gaming PC for like 650$ (after MIR).

e8400, p45 mobo, 4 GB ram, radeon4850, case, psu, hard disk.

Its by no means a hardcore system but it runs pretty damn good for my use. I OC'd it to 3.6 and will probably buy a different cooler and run it at 4.0.
windigo
Site Admin

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:58 pm

My laptop has technically everything better for gaming than my PC, however, as Windigo said it won't compare. Decent games that run great on my shitty virus-full computer may run shitty on my laptop.

The equipment in my laptop is basically a one up on everything on my computer, too. So you may have to spend more than you originally thought for things to run smoothly.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby DE » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:11 pm

ProblemLyric wrote:So I'm looking for a laptop to use in school and to game withtoo since my pc is getting to old and rather then upgrade this I figure I'll just spend that money plus a little more for a laptop.

Well, there's your problem. Any laptop that is significantly good with gaming is heavy, extremely hot, and usually extremely pricey.

But, if all you plan to do is play WC3, Civ, and other games of that nature, just look for a decently built laptop that has minimum 2gb of RAM and an 8800GT-Mobile GPU. If you can find a system with an 8800GTM, it'll most liekly have a decent processor - most Intel Core-2-Duo's are good. Now, the 8800GTM is actually pushing it - you could probably live with 8600GTM and other cards of that nature. Just for the love of god don't get an ATi Mobile GPU based laptop.
DE

Location: Developing compromising photos in a red-room, of course.

Postby Herosbane » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:23 pm

Any recommendations of manufacturers? I need links man, links!
Herosbane

Return to Tech Support