Shadow Strike?

Back in affirmative action.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Shadow Strike?

Postby Boolerian » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:56 am

It seems that I won't be getting S2 after all.
Boolerian

Postby GraveI » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:33 pm

Cassiel wrote:I was thinking more of the i7 and motherboard. An X4 setup is comparable and half the price. The RAM is way overkill though, yeah.

The RAM was dirt cheap at the time, it wasn't necessary but it made sense (canadian newegg was selling 16 gigs of corsair dominator for 180 bucks).

X4 is AMD? I won't touch AMD nor ATI.
I said, YEAH BABY YEAH, I am the evil Midnight Bomber what bombs things at midnight!
GraveI

Postby Cassiel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:50 pm

Then you're a fool.
Cassiel

Postby GraveI » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:05 am

I dont like AMDs cause I personally have never had one that didn't run far too hot.

ATI has terrible multidisplay support and I'm currently using 3 with plans to add a fourth so.

If you can figure out how to make ATI have a super sharp picture on my Trinitron, by all means. I don't want to fuck with my TVs debug settings. Nvidia was more or less plug and play and the picture looks beoootiful.
I said, YEAH BABY YEAH, I am the evil Midnight Bomber what bombs things at midnight!
GraveI

Postby Cassiel » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:55 pm

Remember the screenshot I posted earlier?

Spoiler:

See the little "42" in the bottom right corner? That's my temperature while running the SC2 Editor and SC2 itself in windowed mode (which is heavier than running it fullscreen). It's the same temperature I get running Crysis or Dead Rising 2 or anything else. That's a 955 with outdated C2 stepping and a stock fan in an unventilated room, but in a case with great airflow and well-managed cables. The C3 revision would turn in about 38 degrees--less if properly undervolted.
Cassiel

Postby Fledermaus » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:33 pm

OH GAWD MY CODE IS TERRIBLE AND CAUSES PEOPLES COMPUTERS TO BLOW UP! :<
ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus

Postby GraveI » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:55 pm

GraveI wrote:I dont like AMDs cause I personally have never had one that didn't run far too hot.
GraveI

Postby Cassiel » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:00 pm

The sample size of you personally is too small to draw any conclusions from. If you had a problem in the past it's most likely because you applied the thermal grease incorrectly, mounted the CPU fan incorrectly, etc. Or maybe you just had a Dell.
Cassiel

Postby GraveI » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:40 pm

The only conclusion I drew was that I didn't want to go with an AMD this time due to issues I've had in the past, with various AMD processors. Dunno why that seems to be so personally offensive to you.
GraveI

Postby Cassiel » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:19 am

It's not personally offensive to me. It's personally offensive to logic.

You're being a brand whore. By your reasoning nobody should ever buy Intel because they made the Pentium 4, aka one of the most ridiculously hot CPU families ever. Nothing AMD's ever made can compare to the P4's heat output.

That doesn't matter now, though. The only thing that matters is the price-to-performance ratio of specific CPUs. At the moment, the X4s are the clear winner. But if Intel happens to have taken the lead when next I build a computer, I'll happily buy Intel instead.
Cassiel

Postby -Y- » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:17 pm

Cassiel wrote: The only thing that matters is the price-to-performance ratio of specific CPUs.

Nope. The only thing that matters is the thing that matters most. Price-to-performance is one metric (and a very generic metric at that), but there are lots of others - quietness, stability,etc.
-Y-

Postby Cassiel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:26 pm

All of which are part of performance, dumbshit.
Cassiel

Postby Johs » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:49 pm

Can you even play on the lowest settings?

Not only can I, I prefer it. It makes sc2 look cartoony and I like it. I dont turn the lighting effects all the way down though, just the models. Sure, I like the way sc2 looks as well, but when playing graphics intensive custom maps I turned it all down, and now I'm actually quite fond of it. Makes it look like a comic book.
Johs

Previous

Return to Tides of Blood