Damn you TOB...

Back in affirmative action.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Damn you TOB...

Postby Kant » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:54 am

Looking forward to see if you guys go on with is :)

Was thinking, what about items? The new Dota in SC2 has simply thought of upgrades you can buy at a store, but I don't think I've seen any custom map with inventory room in characters.
Kant

Postby Viikuna- » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:24 am

This one DotA clone has a old good 6 slot wc3 inventory. ( With repice items. God I hate repice items )

The interface was quite bad though. There was this tiny very little and unnoticeable button above your minimap you had to click to see your inventory.

I guess one could make pretty cool looking inventories and thingies with those UI editing features, though.
No Marlo, no game.
Viikuna-

Postby Kant » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:14 am

Oh I see what's going on in here.
Kant

Postby Viikuna- » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:00 pm

link

What you think?
No Marlo, no game.
Viikuna-

Postby Cassiel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:30 pm

Contest rules that say "we own your submission forever" are awesome.
Cassiel

Postby -Y- » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:44 pm

Cassiel wrote:Contest rules that say "we own your submission forever" are awesome.

I like this part best:
you acknowledge that Sponsor shall have the right to use, modify, reproduce, publish, perform, display on all forms of media, distribute, make derivative works of and otherwise commercially and noncommercially exploit the Entry Materials in perpetuity and throughout the universe

There goes my hope of transmitting to Mars and starting an underground modding community.
-Y-

Postby Galefury » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:15 am

And that's not already in the editor EULA? I'm disappointed.
Galefury

Postby Cassiel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:26 am

The best part is that Activision Blizzard has three different contests going on right now, one through Activision and two through Blizzard. Now, everyone hates Activision and loves Blizzard, but the Activision contest is the only one that doesn't say "we own your shit, noob." Both of the Blizzard contests require you to surrender the rights to your work--completely, in the case of the creative writing contest.

Rules wrote:Sponsor Use of Entries. All entries and materials submitted to Sponsor in connection with the Contest (collectively, "Entry Materials"), along with all copyright, trademark and other proprietary rights associated therewith, become the property of Sponsor upon submission, including the right to use your name, voice, bio, and likeness if requested by Sponsor.

You know something's wrong when Activision is the good guy.
Cassiel

Postby Ensabahnur » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:34 am

Doesn't the EULA say something similar about custom maps?
Ensabahnur

Postby erwtenpeller » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:05 am

Yeah everything you make in the editor is theirs anyway, right?

So what if they own your shit, the prize is awesome and its a GREAT thing to be able to put on your resumé.
erwt.blogspot.com - Personal art exposé.
www.wc3campaigns.net - For all your modding needs.
erwtenpeller

Postby Cassiel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:10 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:So what if they own your shit, the prize is awesome and its a GREAT thing to be able to put on your resumé.

If you want to be exploited by megacorporations then go right ahead. I'd rather watch Al-Qaeda fly a plane into Blizzard's headquarters.
Cassiel

Postby gandalf37 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:12 pm

*FBI descends on Cassiel's house*
gandalf37

Postby Myth » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:18 pm

I was just thinking that.

I volunteer to sit around and look pretty and hear all the secrets long before they happen. And also do whatever else needs doing by someone with no game design skills.
Myth

Postby Cassiel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Seriously, Blizzard is evil and has been for a while. I'd rather work for Bobby Kotick than Mike Morhaime.

Too bad there isn't a players union. If you could organize a million customers and guarantee that they wouldn't buy a game until a TOU agreement was reached with the developer, you might actually get somewhere with these thugs. Until then we're back to Project Mayhem.
Cassiel

Postby erwtenpeller » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:35 pm

I really think you're blowing this waaaay out of proportion.
erwt.blogspot.com - Personal art exposé.
www.wc3campaigns.net - For all your modding needs.
erwtenpeller

Postby Cassiel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:00 pm

There's no such thing as blowing unethical practices out of proportion. These kinds of things ruin people's lives. Just because it's not my life or your life doesn't mean it's not important.
Cassiel

Postby -Y- » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Cassiel wrote:These kinds of things ruin people's lives.

Such as...
-Y-

Postby -Y- » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:57 pm

Still fails to show how an EULA/TOU similar to one Blizzard uses caused that much grief. Your example was mostly about Activision screwing IW through a contract not an EULA or a TOU.
-Y-

Postby Stexe » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:48 am

windigo wrote:Actually on average we play boardgames very little (less than once a week) because I can NEVER GET PEOPLE HERE!!! That said, I'm trying to play a game of BSG today. I'll have 4 people if all goes smoothly but I need a 5th.

Last week we tried playing on Tuesday as well but Travis flaked and Marius can't make it. So I watched the Fantastic Mr. Fox with Chris instead (luckily it just came in the mail). Actually a very awesome movie.

I just got a game of BSG together with my dad, my friend, and his parents... Cylons won (I was a human) but it pretty much came down to the last 2 or 3 cards.

Last night we played Dominion: Intrigue and Galaxy Trucker and I'm hoping on getting a game of Space Alert in before the end of this week.

Board games rule! By the way, what is your BGG profile?
§†è×é is God
Stexe

Location: near Philadelphia, PA, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe

Postby gandalf37 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:56 am

-Y- wrote:through a contract not an EULA or a TOU.

EULA or TOU are both contracts you accept to abide by, even if you don't read them and just scroll to the bottom and click accept.
gandalf37

Postby -Y- » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:23 am

gandalf37 wrote:

EULA or TOU are both contracts you accept to abide by, even if you don't read them and just scroll to the bottom and click accept.

From what I've gathered in the article in the linked thread, Activision didn't honor their part of the agreement with Infinity Ward (or used some Hollywood trick to make the money disappear). They weren't duped as in they didn't read the fine print, they were duped as in the other party didn't honor its part of the bargain. And Activision was sued.
-Y-

Postby Ensabahnur » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:29 am

Too bad there isn't a players union. If you could organize a million customers and guarantee that they wouldn't buy a game until a TOU agreement was reached with the developer, you might actually get somewhere with these thugs. Until then we're back to Project Mayhem.

This would be awesome.
Ensabahnur

Postby Kaz » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:14 pm

gandalf37 wrote:

There is plenty of precedent where click-to-accept EULA/TOS were found by courts to be unenforceable in part or in whole. Willingly submitting original content to a contest that takes ownership of everything upfront is something else entirely.
Kaz

Postby Cassiel » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:25 pm

-Y- wrote:From what I've gathered in the article in the linked thread, Activision didn't honor their part of the agreement with Infinity Ward (or used some Hollywood trick to make the money disappear). They weren't duped as in they didn't read the fine print, they were duped as in the other party didn't honor its part of the bargain. And Activision was sued.

That's not what the linked thread is about at all. West and Zampella deserved to be fired if they were really negotiating out of turn with another publisher. The media and fanboys may automatically blame Activision, but nobody knows what happened. The firings certainly had nothing to do with bonuses.

The issue is work for hire and creator ownership. If you make maps for one of Blizzard's games, you're essentially paying them for the privilege of being their employee. Blizzard benefited enormously from DotA, and what did DotA's creators get? A line on a resume and another job where they'll have no ownership of their work? Whooptie fucking doo.
Cassiel

PreviousNext

Return to Tides of Blood