Damn you TOB...

Back in affirmative action.

Moderator: Moderators

Damn you TOB...

Postby joshx0rfz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:01 pm

And I mean that as a compliment. I've been playing RTS for years and really enjoyed all the custom maps. I've also been lurking around on this forum intermittently since I started playing ToB way back when.

I started playing SC2 and looking at the new maps coming out that were similar in style and I have to say, damn you, damn you all. Every time I play one it is a clone of DotA which I can't stand. The balance is terrible, the gameplay uninteresting, uninspired, and horribly repetitive.

So, good job on ruining all these terrible custom maps for me forever. I may have to go reinstall WC3 just for old times thanks.

Seriously though, thanks for putting it out, I had tons of fun with it.

-joshx0rfz (PetOverlord)
joshx0rfz

Re: Damn you TOB...

Postby Cassiel » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:23 pm

I really wanted to continue on to SC2. I planned to have a release ready to go on July 27, and even got as far as porting over basically everything but ToB's projectile system. I had a whole strategy mapped out to make it the biggest thing since cotton panties. It's just that the SC2 editor is a cumbersome pile of crap, and after a while I couldn't take it anymore.
Cassiel

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:53 am

Cassiel wrote:I really wanted to continue on to SC2. I planned to have a release ready to go on July 27, and even got as far as porting over basically everything but ToB's projectile system. I had a whole strategy mapped out to make it the biggest thing since cotton panties. It's just that the SC2 editor is a cumbersome pile of crap, and after a while I couldn't take it anymore.

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Turkey_Slayer

Postby erwtenpeller » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:29 am

Way to make us all hate you cass. Just make the damn thing. You know i've got a great art team ready to go if it pops off.
erwt.blogspot.com - Personal art exposé.
www.wc3campaigns.net - For all your modding needs.
erwtenpeller

Postby nooK » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:25 am

so this would be like tob but with sc2 theme? or just reimporting the old models?
nooK

Postby erwtenpeller » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:52 am

Don't be daft.
erwtenpeller

Postby Viikuna- » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:10 am

A little Tides of Blood -AoS, in search for new home....

There was too many bugs in his old apartment. And now this new place where he was gonna move simply sucks.

:(

Where can ToBy find a new home?
No Marlo, no game.
Viikuna-

Postby windigo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:06 pm

I'm in if we do things old school. Meaning face to face contact more than once per year.
windigo
Site Admin

Postby Cassiel » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:54 pm

No you aren't. Kaz isn't either.
Cassiel

Postby windigo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:09 pm

That's only because I can't drag you over here. I might just take a crack at it myself to get the ball rolling.
windigo
Site Admin

Postby Cassiel » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:18 pm

I'll give you +1000 betting odds on that.
Cassiel

Postby windigo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 pm

I'm in the editor right now. It's a pain in the ass. Is there a basic model / animation set viewer in here?

Edit:

Oh, and I give you +1001 betting odds on leaving your house and coming over here.
(and I don't even know what that means)
windigo
Site Admin

Postby Cassiel » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:17 pm

Yes, there's a built-in model viewer. It sucks, like most everything else in the editor. If you don't clear out the current model before loading a new one it just stacks shit on top of other shit in a giant model clusterfuck.

And all you do at your house is play board games.
Cassiel

Postby erwtenpeller » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:12 am

You two are elitist whiners, that's what you are.
erwtenpeller

Postby o » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:03 am

Everyone loves a little Puerto Rico....Acquire...Carcissone...Settlers of Catan? Not a fan of board games Cass?
o

Postby windigo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:39 am

Actually on average we play boardgames very little (less than once a week) because I can NEVER GET PEOPLE HERE!!! That said, I'm trying to play a game of BSG today. I'll have 4 people if all goes smoothly but I need a 5th.

Last week we tried playing on Tuesday as well but Travis flaked and Marius can't make it. So I watched the Fantastic Mr. Fox with Chris instead (luckily it just came in the mail). Actually a very awesome movie.

Yeah, I was playing with that 'model viewer'. The way that tool was titled made it sounds like a movie creator or something. Anyways, as a model viewer its a huge pain in the ass to use. In terms of sequencing animations it might be handy if I wrap my head around it.

In all seriousness, if you can come by in the next week or so and show me what you know about the editor. I have some ideas for a starting point but we basically starting from scratch when it comes to stats, leveling up, damage types, armor types, resources, items etc. I'm sure you have a lot of ideas.
windigo
Site Admin

Postby Cassiel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:47 pm

o wrote:Everyone loves a little Puerto Rico....Acquire...Carcissone...Settlers of Catan? Not a fan of board games Cass?

Actually I hate Puerto Rico, because it's called Puerto Rico.
Cassiel

Postby Bartoneus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:24 pm

Joshx0rfz is a friend of mine, and I have to concur that not only do all of the DotA clones on SC2 right now suck balls, but also that it's almost entirely because of ToB that I realize they suck.

I had a pretty damn refined build of an AoS map strongly inspired by ToB done for SC2 in beta, but they started changing a LOT of stuff around and broke half of my custom actors and abilities. Pretty soon I'll be jumping back in to remake it, though I'd be even happier to work with you guys on a map. :D
Bartoneus

Postby Cassiel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:06 pm

If you want to handle the object data I'd consider getting back into it. The editor is flawed in a lot of ways, but my biggest gripe is that object data is handled by a clunky GUI instead of scripting. This isn't always a big deal, since most of the data is at least accessible in Galaxy. It's ridiculously easy to script Chain Lightning, for example, whereas building it in the editor requires a whole mess of objects. But there's also a lot of object data that isn't (or wasn't, when I last checked) visible even within the object editor, never mind open to Galaxy.

Unfortunately, all the scripting I already did is lost. Whoever wrote the beta uninstaller was completely incompetent--it deletes everything in the installation directory and bypasses the Recycle Bin. By the time I realized this and went in with a file recovery program it was too late. One Against Many, Godspeed and the systems they were built on are gone. Although you can't really see it in the videos, those underlying systems were a few weeks worth of work. I even learned logarithms for them, since SC2, for some strange reason, handles % bonuses additively =\.
Cassiel

Postby Bartoneus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:37 pm

UGH, yea the SC2 beta uninstaller almost nabbed my map as well, thankfully I'd copied a back up just in case. (who knows how I had the foresight for that...)
Bartoneus

Postby o » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:02 pm

do it.
o

Postby Cassiel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:04 pm

I have a backup of Godspeed from before I set up all my enrichments. It looks like:
Code: Select all
ActorSend(actor[0], "AnimPlay Godspeed Walk PlayForever -1");

Instead of:
Code: Select all
actor[0].anim = "Walk";

Which reminds me: the actor implementation is pretty awful. I wonder if it's been documented at all yet, or if they added damage natives.

I suppose it would only take me a week to remake it all, since most of my time was spent deciphering ridiculous behaviors* the first time around.

* Like the fact that animations are forced into the same 0.0625 interval as everything else, which is why WC3 does those motion trails so much better than SC2.
Cassiel

Postby o » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:17 pm

It's a good time to strike while the iron's hot. I just looked, some game called Nexus Wars had over 16,000 games in the last hour.
o

Postby Cassiel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:25 pm

It was a good time to strike a week ago. We could easily power something out in a few weeks though, with the right people. SC2 is still young.

You know o, you should look into the terrain editor.
Cassiel

Postby Viikuna- » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:59 am

Its actually kinda cool how you can blend those tiles now.

Whats the state of Andromeda anyways? Does it have all the important stuff working more or less bugglesly? I mean is it usable?
No Marlo, no game.
Viikuna-

Next

Return to Tides of Blood