Socket to me

Back in affirmative action.

Moderator: Moderators

Socket to me

Postby Cassiel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:45 pm

It goes a little something like this.
Attachments
SocketToMe.divx
(3.44 MiB) Downloaded 1023 times
User avatar
Cassiel
 
Posts: 5087
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Socket to me

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:57 pm

That's awesome, and it works even smoother than I could have hoped for.
User avatar
Turkey_Slayer
 
Posts: 2323
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:40 am
Location: Ft Lauderdale

Re: Socket to me

Postby unwichtig » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:25 pm

Aaaaaaaaah awesome! These peeks are so freaking tantalizing

The only random thing I saw was that the colon after intelligence was on a separate line and it looked a little off. Obviously a critical issue (and I'm not sure if that happens in regular wc3, it's been a while)
unwichtig
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:28 pm

Re: Socket to me

Postby Cassiel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:38 pm

That's from running in window mode instead of fullscreen so I can have the editor and game going at the same time without the whole thing crapping out on me so often.
User avatar
Cassiel
 
Posts: 5087
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Socket to me

Postby Ensabahnur » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:50 pm

Holy shit.
User avatar
Ensabahnur
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Socket to me

Postby Cassiel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Whew. I thought I was going to have to nix the voidstone but der Maus saved the day. We're definitively at 10 gems and 1-4 sockets, depending on the item.
User avatar
Cassiel
 
Posts: 5087
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Socket to me

Postby Viikuna- » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:04 am

Hushblade with magic gems. That stuff is simply awesome.
No Marlo, no game.
User avatar
Viikuna-
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:27 am

Re: Socket to me

Postby Boolerian » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:28 am

Whoa Nelly!
It looks so easy to use, yet I can't think of what way you've done that. I mean, for just 1 item with 4 sockets and 10 possible gems, that is too many combinations to code and make in the item object editor.
Like the icon btw, and the name, Hushblade-awesome!
User avatar
Boolerian
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:06 am

Re: Socket to me

Postby Merlin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:19 am

Very impressive, as always.

Were you planning on adding 'socket bonuses' or 'socket colors'?
User avatar
Merlin
 
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: YUL

Re: Socket to me

Postby Viikuna- » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:22 am

Haha lols.

I didnt realized until now where that "SocketToMe" -name comes from.

:lol:
No Marlo, no game.
User avatar
Viikuna-
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:27 am

Re: Socket to me

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:56 am

Will certain gems have extra effects for certain items? For example, I have some item that is somehow associated with the sea. Would adding a seastone increase the benefits? It'd be pretty cool, but mildly overcomplicated as well.
User avatar
Turkey_Slayer
 
Posts: 2323
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:40 am
Location: Ft Lauderdale

Re: Socket to me

Postby permanencer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:48 am

i though i'v seen it all :cartman: but socketing it is just ...i don't know man, seriously with this stuff you will go way top and i can belive it that is just a "simple map".

verry good, i'm crawling for more updated :D


i'm glad that "iceassfrog" never though about this socket thing :twisted:

you guys need help on something? beta testing, ... or anything else?
User avatar
permanencer
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:02 pm
Location: planet Char

Re: Socket to me

Postby TheEmeraldAngel » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:46 pm

Sexy, thanks for the update
TheEmeraldAngel
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:55 pm

Re: Socket to me

Postby Viikuna- » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:43 pm

Im sure that many people have thought of socketing before, and found it too hard thing to do.

Its just that Cassiel and others are too damn crazy to stop figguring out some ways to do all kind of seemingly impossible stuff.



And I dont really think that seastone giving more bonuses for some sea themed item -thingy is a good idea.

That would just mean that getting this stone for that item has already some advantage over other options, instead of you only having to think which stone benefits you most in this particular game situation, which is what these sockets are all about, right? ( At least thats pretty much how I pictured it in my head )

It would be another story if each item would react differently to different stones, like hushblade getting longer silencing duration from seastones and blood stone would do some other shit and stuff like that, but that sucks too, because it would become way too overcomplicated, and if most items only have like one thing they do, it would be kinda impossible too.

Anyways, thats what I thought.
No Marlo, no game.
User avatar
Viikuna-
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:27 am

Re: Socket to me

Postby Kaz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:53 pm

Cass made a program to generate all possible variations created by socketing there's no way he'd be making them by hand.
Kaz
 
Posts: 2984
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:04 pm

Re: Socket to me

Postby permanencer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:11 pm

what !? that hushblade is for real?

it has a CD or something like 0.01 when beeing hit, and like str heroes attacks are much slower, the defender should be able to cast something when the attacker swing his blade.

and i don't know. if they think about it (soket), why they didn't make it ... dota has about ...i don't know 5 years?
dota is all about the money i tell you, that's why it has been ruined. icefrog became lame and he could never work his ass to make this socketed shit, because all he did in those years ... was to put thumnails FROM WOW to dota items, and the screen is made by fans ... he is a lazy fucker and now he is in valve with a team to develop "a new kind of dota game"
User avatar
permanencer
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:02 pm
Location: planet Char

Re: Socket to me

Postby Viikuna- » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:24 pm

Even if IceFrog knew how to make that stuff, he would not do that, because DotA community would hate change of that scale.

Repices are what they want. They dont care about how good idea this whole repice system is, because they have get used to it over those years.
No Marlo, no game.
User avatar
Viikuna-
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:27 am

Re: Socket to me

Postby Herosbane » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Nice one, Cass. I like what I see.

Are you just right-clicking to pick up and right-clicking to drop on the item?
User avatar
Herosbane
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:36 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Socket to me

Postby Zeuter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:33 pm

permanencer wrote:because all he did in those years ... was to put thumnails FROM WOW to dota items


Doesn't the hushblade have a WoW icon..?
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
User avatar
Zeuter
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:07 am
Location: オランダ

Re: Socket to me

Postby Cassiel » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Merlin wrote:Very impressive, as always.

Were you planning on adding 'socket bonuses' or 'socket colors'?

No to colors, if you mean the WoW way. I think it makes the whole idea a bit pointless. You can justify it in terms of balance, but it's still overwrought.

Yes to bonuses, and the goal is to focus them on active item abilities, not just extra attribute bumps. For example you might have a Mirrorblade that gives you the ability to create a single mirror image, but when the sockets are full it's two images instead.

HyperActive wrote:Whoa Nelly!
It looks so easy to use, yet I can't think of what way you've done that. I mean, for just 1 item with 4 sockets and 10 possible gems, that is too many combinations to code and make in the item object editor.
Like the icon btw, and the name, Hushblade-awesome!

I googled Hushblade and it's also used by a M:tG card. =\. Those of you who WoW know where the icon's from.

Turkey_Slayer wrote:Will certain gems have extra effects for certain items? For example, I have some item that is somehow associated with the sea. Would adding a seastone increase the benefits? It'd be pretty cool, but mildly overcomplicated as well.

No, but recipes for sea-themed items would involve sea gems and other items made with sea gems. The idea with socketing is that it will be dynamic enough that we can do recipes without needing tons of incremental items. We'll see, though. I did the system because I was tired of looking at terrain. We haven't designed an item tree or anything yet (and like the old element threads, it's something I'll post here for input before actually making it. This won't be until after we get some alpha testing going though. I'm going back to terrain today).

permanencer wrote:i'm glad that "iceassfrog" never though about this socket thing :twisted:

you guys need help on something? beta testing, ... or anything else?

Lots of games use socketing, although oddly I've never actually played any. Diablo 2 and WoW are the ones I'm aware of. The reason other WC3 maps don't do it is because it's rather complicated.

All beta testing will be open to everyone. We're going to do some preliminary alpha testing to make sure things actually function, but beyond that we'll be throwing it to you guys.

permanencer wrote:what !? that hushblade is for real?

it has a CD or something like 0.01 when beeing hit, and like str heroes attacks are much slower, the defender should be able to cast something when the attacker swing his blade.

Its cooldown is something like 1 + your attack cooldown, so as long as you're continuously attacking a unit it cannot cast spells. If the unit starts to run away, it will easily be able to get casting back.

permanencer wrote:and i don't know. if they think about it (soket), why they didn't make it ... dota has about ...i don't know 5 years?
dota is all about the money i tell you, that's why it has been ruined. icefrog became lame and he could never work his ass to make this socketed shit, because all he did in those years ... was to put thumnails FROM WOW to dota items, and the screen is made by fans ... he is a lazy fucker and now he is in valve with a team to develop "a new kind of dota game"

ToB is actually older than DotA, although the last new release was in 2005 and that was of material from 2004. And hey, artistic fans are great. That's how we got erwt, Yak, Jacinthe etc.

Herosbane wrote:Are you just right-clicking to pick up and right-clicking to drop on the item?

Left-clicking to drop. If right-clicking works the same then you can use that too.
User avatar
Cassiel
 
Posts: 5087
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Socket to me

Postby Merlin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:41 pm

Cassiel wrote:
Merlin wrote:Very impressive, as always.

Were you planning on adding 'socket bonuses' or 'socket colors'?

No to colors, if you mean the WoW way. I think it makes the whole idea a bit pointless. You can justify it in terms of balance, but it's still overwrought.

Yes to bonuses, and the goal is to focus them on active item abilities, not just extra attribute bumps. For example you might have a Mirrorblade that gives you the ability to create a single mirror image, but when the sockets are full it's two images instead.


Good. Socket colors are silly.

Unlocking additional abilities through gemming is <3.
User avatar
Merlin
 
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: YUL

Re: Socket to me

Postby permanencer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:21 am

Cassiel wrote:Lots of games use socketing, although oddly I've never actually played any. Diablo 2 and WoW are the ones I'm aware of. The reason other WC3 maps don't do it is because it's rather complicated.

All beta testing will be open to everyone. We're going to do some preliminary alpha testing to make sure things actually function, but beyond that we'll be throwing it to you guys.


yes diablo was the one who inveted socket items :D but it ruined it when the 1.10 patch came up .... WOOOAHH i have an ideea ... you make items? you want oppinions ... maybe we could think on some weapons... of course with parameters, like :

low level: no more than "4+ to all" and it has to have maximum 2 bonuses like agility and intelligence with no str. => and you say to make up with item name and other shits after you give an example of item to be certain :P

thx. we wait BETA :))


Zeuter wrote:Doesn't the hushblade have a WoW icon..?


i don't know i haven't played wow for a long time, but even if it is look what this hushblade has on it: SOCKET ABILITY! ... you don;t see that often :)) [not meaning to be rude]


Viikuna- wrote:Even if IceFrog knew how to make that stuff, he would not do that, because DotA community would hate change of that scale.

Repices are what they want. They dont care about how good idea this whole repice system is, because they have get used to it over those years.


yap, your right!
User avatar
permanencer
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:02 pm
Location: planet Char

Re: Socket to me

Postby Death » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:28 am

What happens when someone wants to change inventory slots though?... That won't work too well.
User avatar
Death
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:37 pm

Re: Socket to me

Postby erwtenpeller » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:05 am

That all works perfectly fine. The entire thing is even sellable for the price of all of its contents combined.
erwt.blogspot.com - Personal art exposé.
www.wc3campaigns.net - For all your modding needs.
User avatar
erwtenpeller
 
Posts: 3238
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:29 am

Re: Socket to me

Postby Cassiel » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:37 pm

Death wrote:What happens when someone wants to change inventory slots though?... That won't work too well.

Then drop the item on the gem instead of dropping the gem on the item. Or if the item has no more empty sockets, do either.

erwtenpeller wrote:That all works perfectly fine. The entire thing is even sellable for the price of all of its contents combined.

I am le sad that nobody noticed the price go up each time a gem is inserted (even though the numbers are off because I haven't decided what gems will actually cost yet).
User avatar
Cassiel
 
Posts: 5087
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 2:12 pm

Next

Return to Tides of Blood

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron