World editor, coding Q & A

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

World editor, coding Q & A

Postby Drain_Pipe » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:04 pm

Pretty simple, there are a lot of editor things I don't comprehend and I have questions, maybe some of you guys have answers.

1) Using splats/ubersplats.
a) what portion of a model can I edit so that it generates ubersplats/splats?
b) I know that footprints are splats, is there a way to remove them from units easily?
c) Can I detect if there is an ubersplat on the ground such that I could use them to create triggered events (i.e. units who walk over take dps or are slowed etc.)

2) Model animation
a) ok so I've figured out how to set model motion by adjusting the quaternions but I still don't understand the point of the "intan" "outan" lines and if they're even necessary. I know it's to smooth out the animation but i'm not sure how I can manipulate these simply without the use of a modelling program to actually animate the models rotation/movement etc.
b) how do you create 2D effects like the "pwnt" effect that always face the player?

3) WC3 engine
a) I know that there are some in-built functions in the editor which also induce miss rates. I was wondering if there's a way to completely eliminate this chance such that there are 0 random generated miss events (want to create custom evasion and don't want weird quirks getting in the way)

I'll start with that for now, if anyone else have questions (productive questions) please feel free to ask.

I know we could be using this for other things but if the forums still alive and people know some of these answers I'd like to find out.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Re: World editor, coding Q & A

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:15 pm

If you go to Advanced > Gameplay Constants and go to Combat - Chance to Miss you can change it for moving units/units with difference heights. I don't believe misses are generated otherwise.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Fledermaus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:48 am

I think there's also "Combat - Attack X - Range Motion Buffer" in the unit editor for unit attacks. I think it makes attacks miss if the unit moves that far before the projectile hits them.
ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus

Postby Drain_Pipe » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:08 pm

Thx for the responses, I've got a few new questions.

I know they said that TOB was mad about not having constantly updating tooltips but I'm wondering if this is a huge use of memory to have 2 abilities per hero ability. 1 is the dummy hero ability that is learned and 1 is the activatable ability with enough levels to simulate x number of levels of hero abilities with the max range of damage adjustment. Does 1 ability with 1-200 levels create a lot of room? (i.e. if we allowed for up to 200% bonus spell dmg and increased it in increments of 1% for instance) I can lower the count to something like 20-40 levels (accuracy to 5% or 2.5%).

I know this essentially doubles your abilities but when you have 24 heroes at most, that's just shy of 200 spells if each hero has 4 abilities, which feels like a lot but then again I'm not sure if it really is.

Thoughts? I already know that the tooltips update as the ability levels so you can have dynamic tooltips, just somewhat limited.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby Fledermaus » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:17 pm

It makes the map load a lot slower. Not sure if it would still be as much of an issue these days though.
ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus

Return to Custom Mapmaking