New (I think?) Idea for custom projectile manipulation

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

New (I think?) Idea for custom projectile manipulation

Postby Drain_Pipe » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:55 pm

Hello there to any who might remember me.

I've recently starting playing around with WC3 to make a custom map as a hobby/escape/something to keep me from going crazy and I'm revisiting some of the quandries that I could never really tackle before in a new light.

One such thing that I've come across which I thought was quite interesting (maybe not 100% new but I can't find anything similar on forum searches) was a "trick" to that I could use to manipulate what I would use as projectiles in my map.

Now we all know about the SetUnitLookAt command and what it does and to some extent they've tried using it to create responsive projectile tracking but nothing has gone past being able to instantly set the projectiles initial facing using this method. Every instance after that appears to cause issues, so real time adjustment was not considered to be an option.

BUT, I was playing around with this and I "discovered" that if you lock the head to look at another unit and manipulated that unit, the head motion tracked the unit movement perfectly. The only limitation/inefficiency seemed to be from the model head motion itself (some model heads provided a better tracking for some reason).

What's even more interesting is that this tracking is instantaneous, or as close as I can tell.

Currently the best way I knew how was using the dummy model available to best track arcs (i.e. see animation to mimic a certain angle so you can simulate the missile moving in a certain trajectory, i.e. an arc) and other vertical motions and to adjust unit facing angle for horizontal. We all know this is sluggish and limited at best so things like reflecting a projectile this way would look bad (the missile needs time to turnaround).

However, with this new setup of having the missile unit and tracking unit, you can achieve a response that's essentially instant and what's more you can completely control the motion through the wc3 editor to do anything you want.

I've attached a testmap to showcase this with 2 test spells.

1) the first creates a rotating object that the head tracks to show that this can be used at any angle and still be accurate

2) the second shows that this is 100% responsive as there is no lag or "freezing" which would result from the setups slow ability to adjust instantaneously (there's no smooth blending or moving from one orientation to another).

In any case, I'd like to know if this is in fact news to anyone, and if indeed it would be a viable way to control projectiles in an AOS style map similar to TOB or other similar map sizes. I understand you need 2 units for every projectile so this severely reduces the number of projectiles on the field but I figure there can't be more than 100-200 units at most at one time and even if they all attack at once, that's around 200-1000 projectiles, maybe (if attack speeds are godly fast on all these units) so I figured it would be ok.

Anyone have any thoughts? Does this seem like a promising method or a waste of resources? (keep in mind I mean in the context of making the map, not in the use of my personal time)
Attachments
TestMap.w3x
(40.43 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Re: New (I think?) Idea for custom projectile manipulation

Postby Cassiel » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:28 pm

People used other techniques because WC3's scripting engine is slow. You couldn't have doubled the number of projectiles (objects and calculations) in O, for example, without it becoming unplayable on the hardware of 5-10 years ago.

Were reflections in O not instant? I don't even remember.
Cassiel

Postby Drain_Pipe » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:07 pm

I'm not sure if they were instant. Pretty damn close. Did you guys use that dummy unit Vex referenced in his caster system or something else?

If that's the case then dang.... I thought there might have been something there... oh well.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby Cassiel » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:07 pm

I believe so, modified with additional attachment points and some other stuff.
Cassiel

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Fix that bug, Cass.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Cassiel » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:14 pm

Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
Cassiel

Return to Custom Mapmaking