Fun Hero Concept Showcase

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Fun Hero Concept Showcase

Postby Drain_Pipe » Wed May 19, 2010 11:35 pm

Just something I came up with after seeing the model. Took me a while to code (granted it's pretty inefficient).

Don't bother looking at the coding because it's atrocious, although i think the final product is visually appealing.

since it's too big to dl here, get it from the link:

http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?p=1125096#post1125096

Enjoy.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Re: Fun Hero Concept Showcase

Postby Mur » Sat May 22, 2010 10:25 am

Some fun stuff. Way too many Xs Ys and Zs going on in some of the heroes though.

And in general, they're just cool spells rather than well rounded heroes. But I'm guessing that wasn't really what you were going for anyway.
More like murlurk.
Mur

Postby Drain_Pipe » Sat May 22, 2010 1:51 pm

More or less, that's true. It's a shame that about half the concepts became un-usable, for now at least, because of the fix on the return bug. I had a system which used it a lot, so I'd have to go through and fix all those other spells. The heroes there were kinda the leftovers of the 15+ that I had, and most of them weren't really the favorites.

by the X Y Zs I'm assuming you mean the huntress. Her I was playing around with stat dependent skills and summons, just to see how dynamically altering summons as you go would perform. It's also her fan of knives skill that inspired me to create a dmaage display system that takes into account damage dealt from a hero in multiple strikes over a short period of time (for stuff like shotgun spells)

The one I kinda wanted to highlight was the gnome hero. Not only did I want to have a combo-esk theme, but I also wanted very smooth and exciting animations.

try casting his spells in quick succession, some variations yield different effects.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby Mur » Sat May 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Yeah, the gnome is an interesting idea. Uppercut is a little clunky, far too easy to just pick up a spawn instead of a hero.

In your average aos I think he'd be a little out of place, but if you had a whole map with heroes like this (High mobility, tough to aim/pull off spells) it could result in some interesting stuff.
More like murlurk.
Mur

Postby Viikuna- » Sun May 23, 2010 6:31 am

I kinda like that slam. That lightning effect should maybe grow bigger while channeling, to show that hes building up power, or something.

Fist Pump would probably work better, if it had a shorter range, and X number of casts without any refresh changes. ( To make it more spammable )

Dont really know, its kinda cool. With some cool custom effects it would look damn cool I think.
No Marlo, no game.
Viikuna-

Postby Drain_Pipe » Sun May 23, 2010 12:27 pm

Yeah that's a possibility for slam. I think I'm just gonna make a custom effect for the charging (so growing will be built in).

As for fist pump, what would you suggest for a range reduction? It's only 300 atm and he really has no good method for initiating or catching his target. That was supposed to be his short movement spell to close the gap between him and his enemies. The reason I didn't want to give him X number of casts was because of the full disable potential of all his abilities strung together. He's supposed to have high damage output, but only if you can react fast enough to the refresh procs in order to string his abilities together.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Return to Custom Mapmaking