How did they do that?

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

How did they do that?

Postby Drain_Pipe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:55 pm

I was playing an aos called ninjas on battle.net, it's pretty meh with some creative stuff, but what cought my attention was that they had an attribute system which added an icon which had the small number attached on it as well to your hero after you surpassed level 18. What I'm curious about is how they got the small sub-number (like when you can upgrade a skill and whatnot) displayed on the icon. From what I remember of the map editor, the only abilities that would show that are flare and sentinel, and both have to target things. And I'm still not quite sure how those abilities work, but perhaps I'm missing something here. Is there some other way to get that display other then custom making the damn icons (which I'm pretty sure they didn't do it that way)? I'm pretty sure the base skill was from the spellbook ability, and I know there are some weird tricks you can do with that so...yeah i dunno.

On a side note, does anyone have the testmap for abberate with the nice attack blur? I had a copy but my comp crashed (hard drive shit out and i hadn't backed up any wc3 stuff) and now I don't have the map anymore.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Re: How did they do that?

Postby TheBigMole » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:48 am

As far as I know, the only way to show a number at an icon, expect for items, these two abilitys (and imported icons) is selling a unit. It´s instant and works quite well. However there are no natives, to manipulate the number of units of unittype x aviable for sale at merchenary camp y. You could workaround, by creating one dummyunit with the matching value in max units for sale for every possible amount of points to spend. And make all unittypes, but the matching disabled for that player. Of course this won´t work with shared unit control, unless you make not only a extra unit for each point, but also for each point for each player. But that would be a rediciolous high ammount of 100 units, for 10 player and max 10 points to spend...

So if you don´t care for shared unit control it´s quite easy by turning your hero into a merchenary camp :)

Blur
Multi
TheBigMole

Re: How did they do that?

Postby Drain_Pipe » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:21 pm

i see, thanks.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Return to Custom Mapmaking