Making a unit ignore input

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Making a unit ignore input

Postby Black-Templar » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:07 am

Basically I want a unit to ignore all input by the owner, but still count as that player's unit (kills count towards that players kills, selection circle is green, you hear soundset). The unit would still have to be able to do everything like attack, move, and stuff, but just not on the players command.

I tried thehiveworkshop, but it stumped them other than having 20 people yell CLASSIFY AS WARDS.
Black-Templar

Re: Making a unit ignore input

Postby Tirion » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Hahaha I tried to do this once, but it was for a turn based thing so it's not exactly what you'd want. If I remember correctly you basically pause the unit when it receives an order then immediately unpause it and order it to hold position. This would unfortunately allow the player to interrupt whatever the unit is doing, which seems like something you're trying to avoid (though you might be able to keep track of what the unit is supposed to be doing and reissue that order instead, but to me that sounds like a giant pain in the ass). Some orders like unimmolation are automatically issued for the unit upon pausing as well.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas.

EDIT: If you do something like this (pausing/unpausing/holdposition) be sure to ignore these two order IDs: 851973 and 851993.
Tirion

Postby Kaz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:10 am

Is there a reason you won't use ward classification? It hides the command card. The only remaining order the player can issue is "smart" which you can catch and override.

There could be another way. I remember seeing a hero with uncontrollable summons at wc3c, or perhaps it was just a spell. Maybe it was done differently.
Kaz

Postby Drobie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:30 am

I spent some time trying to work this all out before. Check this thing out. If I recall correctly I got it to work to my satisfaction.

http://www.2shared.com/file/4626213/d5c34000/BoyAndRobotHeroTest.html

EDIT: Maybe just to reminisce, I checked it out myself to see that orders on the unit itself does mess up its "unorderableness". But I guess I allowed for that because I set it up to only hinder the player if you ever did.
Drobie

Postby Black-Templar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:38 pm

How do I override the "smart" command? Forgive me for asking, but I know next to nothing about jass.
Black-Templar

Postby Kaz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:58 pm

When a unit is issued point order "smart" or target order "smart" and ordered unit type = your uncontrollable unit type, reissue the previous command your control trigger gave it. Or "stop".
Kaz

Postby Black-Templar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:54 am

Cheers
Black-Templar

Postby erwtenpeller » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:38 am

didn't vex write this whole uncontrollable summons thing?
erwt.blogspot.com - Personal art exposé.
www.wc3campaigns.net - For all your modding needs.
erwtenpeller

Postby Viikuna- » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:13 am

Yea he did.

Hes indiesummons system blocks smart orders by using a timer to issue new orders for unit every x seconds until units current order != smart order.

edit. Oh damn, did I just revive an old thread without even reading it trougth properly?
No Marlo, no game.
Viikuna-

Postby erwtenpeller » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:56 am

I do it all the time for funsies.
erwt.blogspot.com - Personal art exposé.
www.wc3campaigns.net - For all your modding needs.
erwtenpeller

Return to Custom Mapmaking