Creating a space ontop of an already occupied space

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Creating a space ontop of an already occupied space

Postby Drain_Pipe » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:39 pm

So I was just wondering if it would be possible to make it so that you could create a secondary space on an already existing space that was treated like another independent portion of the map....

Ie in terms of the simplest form.

Hero traps X units in an alternate dimension. Here, everyone else looks like spectral ghosts and the ground is made up of a different terrain and everything looks weird for the units affected. All the units in this realm can interact normally with others but not with units of the other "realm". To all other units in the regular game, the units look nearly invisible and are untargetable.

I dunno if this is good enough explanation but I basically wanted to use the idea to setup stuff like digging a tunnel underground and having walking through it change everything to look like a tunnel and remove your vision of other units and stuff... Hopefully this can make a little bit of sense to somebody. It's kinda hard for me to explain...
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Re: Creating a space ontop of an already occupied space

Postby Kaz » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:24 am

There's no way easy. You need to double up the size of your map with one of the halves being your ghost world. There are funcs to control what part of the map the minimap shows
Kaz

Postby Drain_Pipe » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:20 pm

Wait so Would I basically have to create a ghost world portion of the actual map and use functions to just move my unit to that side of the map? Or do you mean I'd need to double the size of my map so i could store the second "ghost world" on top of the origional playing field?
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby Drain_Pipe » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:22 pm

On a completely unrelated note, how do you make actual paths that you can only run through underground and via certain access points. I've seen it done in an old campaign (DoD I think it was) where some maps had caves you could use to traverse to certain parts of the maps. do you know what sort of setup i need to do that? I've looked at invisible platforms but I'm not really sure how to use them.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby Kaz » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:36 pm

Yes, you make a hidden side of the map that you move your units to when appropriate. Functions can be used to restrict camera and minimap movement to one half or the other.

The underground tunnel stuff is done the exact same way.
Kaz

Postby Dragon_Blade » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:42 pm

I once played an AoS that did something similar, except it was above and under water. It looked surprisingly good, too bad the heroes weren't very good or I'm sure it would have become fairly popular.
Dragon_Blade

Postby KStolen » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:49 am

Download link to the map Drag's talking about, no idea if it's protected or whatever but take a look anyway, it's kinda cool.

http://www.epicwar.com/maps/4195/
KStolen

Postby Drain_Pipe » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:37 pm

Kaz wrote:Yes, you make a hidden side of the map that you move your units to when appropriate. Functions can be used to restrict camera and minimap movement to one half or the other.

The underground tunnel stuff is done the exact same way.

The thing about the tunnels is that it wasn't a sectioned off portion of the map, it was a space on the origional map (though it was pre-existing). My unit was selectable but underground, and other units couldn't target me, not that I was invulnerable though. I have to find the map to show you but it was pretty interesting. The paths were even visible on the mini map, denoted by a slight change in color.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby Bontavius » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:33 pm

WOW i played that water war map before the submerge thing... that's incredible!
Bontavius

Postby WatermelonMan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:03 am

Dragon_Blade wrote:I once played an AoS that did something similar, except it was above and under water. It looked surprisingly good, too bad the heroes weren't very good or I'm sure it would have become fairly popular.

dude thats the map me and you played together <3 <3

we should play it again, if you weren't too cool for wc3, me and turk play b&b every night for several hours, you should join us also. But again, you're too cool for wc3
WatermelonMan

Return to Custom Mapmaking