what is wrong with this?

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

what is wrong with this?

Postby Bontavius » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:56 am

i've got an item in my map that makes an illusion of the target... but it doubles every item they have.... so every item over the amount of inventory space they have gets dropped on the ground for people to pick up ._.

any idea why that happens??

EDIT - NEVERMIND lol i have another trigger that gives units items when they enter the map.... i forgot to put a check on there to make sure they weren't an ILLUSION so it was giving 1 item because they were illusions...and another item because they were "entering the map"

:D
Bontavius

Re: what is wrong with this?

Postby Kaz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:34 am

Before you get too far ahead, you should pretty much never use a generic unit enters the map event. Your trigger events should be as specific as possible.
Kaz

Postby Bontavius » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:13 pm

why not? what's the problem with it?
Bontavius

Postby Kaz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:21 pm

It's slow and inefficient, especially in an AoS with lots of spawning/summoning. It's way too broad which forces you to have a bunch of conditions to exclude everything you don't want it to trigger for. Every time you add or change something to the map you'll have to go back and edit the conditions of all those generic unit enters map event triggers.
Kaz

Postby Bontavius » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:37 am

eh i dont make the conditions for which units NOT to trigger the event.. i make the conditions for which units WILL trigger it. so i only edit it once :p... except this time i had to edit it twice.. once to add the original units and again to add in "is not an illusion"
Bontavius

Postby Drain_Pipe » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:00 pm

later on you might have to edit it again for dummy units, or summons or wards or any kind of unit.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby Bontavius » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:48 pm

i still don't think you guys fully understand what i did lol... the conditions say "triggering unit type is footman, swordsman, enforcer, archer, etc etc(8 total i think .. 1 for each unit type i want to fire the trigger)" and "triggering unit is not an illusion"

i don't think there is a spell that would make a copy of one of those units and turn it into a ward :p

i don't have to put anything else because if a dummy unit enters the map and it's not either a footman, swordsman, or enforcer then the rest of the trigger will not fire. :)
Bontavius

Postby Drain_Pipe » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:49 am

the only thing we're saying is that the method you're trying to do is very inefficient and the biggest problem is that it limits things that you might want to do later on is all.

when you want to add more units, or cast the ability on a summon, or something you'll have to constantly update it, which, when you go higher up, takes much longer.

The thing about inefficiency in coding is that it doesn't become apparent until you actually do something big and complicated. Right now it seems fine, but the more things you do by making a general setup with a ton of conditions, the slower the map will turn out.

that's all we were trying to explain.

BTW why don't you just give those units the item to begin when you spawn them, instead of checking to see when they enter the map. That way you don't ever need to worry about what kind of unit it is when you use the illusion ability...
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby Bontavius » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:01 pm

because i have the units spawning in 4 locations per team (2 teams) so that would be 8 times as many copy pastes i'd have to make. where as this way i cut down on a lot of hassal.

not to mention if i just stuck the "give item" trigger underneath the trigger that spawns the units... if i were to edit the item or change something in the way i want it to work that would be 8 times as many edits i'd have to make.

if i add a new unit into the map that's 1 condition ill have to add to the give item upon entering map trigger.. that's not a hassal considering if i add a new unit to the map i'd have to make a new trigger somewhere or another anyways ya know :p

got a new question though.... how come this

Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area)) and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Unit - Remove (Picked unit) from the game

does not pick units with locust?
Bontavius

Postby Kaz » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:17 pm

Because it doesn't. It also doesn't pick up units with 0 collision size.
Kaz

Postby Bontavius » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:45 pm

oh i didn't know that about the collision.. i dont have any units with 0 collision but if i have to use a unit with 0 collision ill know why the game's not selecting them if i need to do that.. good to know :)
Bontavius

Postby Kaz » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:30 pm

You can select them but not with a pick all units in range of X or area.
Kaz

Return to Custom Mapmaking