How did they make ToB 6v6?

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

How did they make ToB 6v6?

Postby Bontavius » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:43 am

Ive searched the first few pages and didn't find an answer and the search feature for the board appears to be broken. the search "tob" gives me zero hits.

anyways i've been working on an AOS and wanted to make it 6v6. ive got it set up players 1-6 + neutral hostile is team 1 and players 7-12 + neutral extra is team 2 and that works fine. except for 2 major problems.

1 - the computer AI runs when a structure (guard tower, cannon tower, etc.) reduces their health to a critical state.

and 2 - the computer AI will not attack structures who pose no threat. (town hall, barracks, etc)

ive looked around and thought it was custom AI scripts but those didn't work. i assume they are meant for campaign and melee maps only. I've searched all through the triggers and cant find anything that sounds that it would fix either of these problems.

please help! how did ToB do it!
Bontavius

Re: How did they make ToB 6v6?

Postby Kaz » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:27 am

The structures are actually units with extended vision (or whatever it's called) set to true in the object editor so they don't disappear in the fog. This is to prevent neutral from running away from towers and ignoring other structures. There's also an invulnerable dummy structure underneath with no model. This is for the ubersplat and the minimap structure blip. A simple trigger kills the dummy structure when the unit structure dies.

There's probably a better way to do it by now but it's how it was done 3 years ago.
Kaz

Postby Bontavius » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:27 pm

oh ok awesome. couple questions though.

ive seen the action for "ubersplat" but ive yet to mess around with it to see what it is.... what is it? lol

and i figured out that if i turn the structures into "units" that i will not have my problem anymore with agro and retreating however none of the "units" have collision sizes anymore. all units can walk thru the castles / towers/ etc. i assume the invuln structure under the unit fixes this.

but also another problem with the "unit" structures.... they are all shifted on their ground texture and it looks really bad. how did the tob devs resolve that?
Bontavius

Postby Kaz » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:52 pm

The ubersplat is the ground texture. Remove it from the unit and use the structure's instead.
Kaz

Postby Bontavius » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:49 pm

ok just got in and tried it out... at startup i have a trigger that places units on the map via preset regions.

so i made a trigger saying when X unit enters map create 1 X-dummy struct at the position of triggering unit.

i still have the problem with the ground texture being messed up.

do i need to make the "unit" flying or something? any important data fields i need to worry about?

also thanks a ton kaz!

ok i got it working for the most part. i took off the check fro the dummy structures of must be placed in "buildable"area... but the ground texture is still offcentered.. it's like the trigger is not putting the units in the center but rather center and a couple pixels to the bottom left :|
Bontavius

Postby Tirion » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:56 pm

I remember having that problem when I was trying to get this to work, but I ended up with a completely different method.
Tirion

Postby WatermelonMan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:01 am

I've used Tirion's method and it is pretty slick, I recommend it :D

Although, didn't we agree on using permanent immolation with a massive area instead of phoenix fire? By "agree" I mean you suggesting and me doing.
WatermelonMan

Postby Kaz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:13 am

The unit structures were manually placed to line up with their ground texture. No easy way about it. If you look closely you'll notice a few buildings in tob are slightly off center.
Kaz

Postby Drain_Pipe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:10 pm

no one looks that closely... btw, that true setting, how does it work so show units through fog of war? And a second question, could you use that in any way to show units without revealing them in the fog of war? (ie you see units moving through blackness and show up clear, like towers..)
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby Kaz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:05 pm

The field is Art - Use Extended Light of Sight. IIRC it's what makes the towers show up through the fog of war.
Kaz

Postby Tirion » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:35 pm

WatermelonMan wrote:Although, didn't we agree on using permanent immolation with a massive area instead of phoenix fire? By "agree" I mean you suggesting and me doing.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that.
Tirion

Postby Bontavius » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:17 pm

that's awesome Tirion and Drain Pipe..... i opened the map and looked at the triggers... how do you do this custom script stuff?

edit - i just found the custom script you have in the map.. awesome.

couple questions

1) what does this phoenix fire / perm immolate do? i see the tooltip says "pisses spawn off" but what is the purpose? just agro the group? and if i did this tactic will it mess other skills up that i have in the game that are based on perm immolate?

2) do i just copy paste the scripts into my map and it will work? (changing the dummy unit's ID though i see that part)
Bontavius

Postby Tirion » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:36 am

Well, the script takes care of this
Bontavius wrote:1 - the computer AI runs when a structure (guard tower, cannon tower, etc.) reduces their health to a critical state.

and permanent immolation fixes this
Bontavius wrote:2 - the computer AI will not attack structures who pose no threat. (town hall, barracks, etc)

Unfortunately, it looks like immolation doesn't stack and whichever buff was applied first will be the one that affects a unit. If you use permanent immolation with this you probably shouldn't use it anywhere else in your map (units will be immune to it near enemy buildings O.o). I'm sure there's a better way to force neutral units to attack buildings, but I still can't think of it.

EDIT: Actually, Building Damage Aura :lol: with 0.01 damage per second (Targets Allowed: Air, Enemy, Ground) might work just as well, as long as you ignore it in specific unit damaged events. It wouldn't interfere with any other abilities like permanent immolation would.

Bontavius wrote:2) do i just copy paste the scripts into my map and it will work? (changing the dummy unit's ID though i see that part)

You would have to copy and paste it in, change the dummy unit type and ability id, and call that function on every building in your map to have it work. If you don't know JASS just do a pick every unit matching is a building and use the custom script
Code: Select all
call FlagBuilding(GetEnumUnit())
inside it.

Loong post.
Tirion

Postby Bontavius » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:30 pm

tirion check your messages :D
Bontavius

Postby Red » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:26 pm

Bontavius wrote:How did they make ToB 6v6?

Search & lurk old threads.
Red

Postby Bontavius » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:40 pm

Bontavius wrote:Ive searched the first few pages and didn't find an answer and the search feature for the board appears to be broken. the search "tob" gives me zero hits.

reading ftw

edit - also the answer to the question has been answered. as well as a couple others. thanks for your input though, Red.
Bontavius

Return to Custom Mapmaking