Projectile system

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Projectile system

Postby Drain_Pipe » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:33 pm

I wanna make a projectile system which basically takes all the frustration and tediousness of doing it per spell, and throws it into a nice little system that takes care of all projectiles currently in motion. Basically I want to store everything in the projectile itself so that I can just run 1 timer for all of them, and not have to worry about any values or stuff like that.

Now my question is, would this be better to create a global array for the projectiles, or is there some way i can do this with locals? Since I want everything stored with the projectile, I figured the easiest way would be to create a missile, give it all the info required, then add it into the array and simply use a loop to control all the projectiles on one timer. It seemed to make sense, but that's how I would have done it in .GUI, and since I'm still not aware of everything JASS has to offer, I'm not quite sure how to set it up to work better than what I previously mentioned.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Re: Projectile system

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:41 am

Don't bother making it, it already exists on wc3campaigns
Kaz

Postby Drain_Pipe » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:39 pm

link? BTW, if something already exists, do you simply use it, giving credit to the creator, or is everything in TOB coded by you guys?
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby theboogleman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:43 pm

Are you kidding?
theboogleman

Postby Cassiel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:20 pm

Drain_Pipe wrote:link? BTW, if something already exists, do you simply use it, giving credit to the creator, or is everything in TOB coded by you guys?

If it's out there hell yeah we'll use it. Nothing up to N was taken from anywhere else, but only because the shit people uploaded was, well, shit. That situation has improved a bit in the last 4 years.
Cassiel

Postby Drain_Pipe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:32 pm

theboogleman wrote:Are you kidding?

about what? the link, or them making the systems themselves? Both are valid questions, so don't try and be "cool".
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby theboogleman » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:06 pm

They've been messing around with the spell system for a long time now and I can't see how they would use it in ToB, let alone the fact the attitude is always "There's nothing exactly like what we want so we made everything". But yes, using stuff someone else has made is standard practice, you just got to reference it. Even my lecturers and tutors tell us to do it constantly.
theboogleman

Postby Drain_Pipe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:45 pm

Well I know when it comes to writing and such, or whatever sort of work you're on. But I figured everything would be coded a certain way, and even though some "systems" seem to work, they might not support the type of setup you want specifically, and therefor you make your own.

The fact that kaz told me not to bother would suggest the system was sufficient enough on its own as is, so I was curious if they would simply add in other systems if they already exist. My reasoning is that I was under the impression that everyone made their own stuff, and very little was actually outsourced. Then again, like Cassiel had said, a lot has changed in 4 years so coding has come a long way.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby Kaz » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:24 am

Try vexorian's spell system, or maybe there's a better one now
Kaz

Postby Drain_Pipe » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:33 pm

From what I saw, he's working a new setup, in which you only download and add on modules that you require aside form the main code, i think. As for what I want, maybe I'll start with something basic. I don't necessarily require that much of a system. All I'm requiring is a buff system, which they already have, a damage one, which dusk made and seems to be pretty good after some addition, and an inventory system, which I plan to make. The projectile system I was thinking of was gonna be mainly for my map, and the caster system has a lot more than I need in it...still I suppose I should check it out.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Return to Custom Mapmaking