ToB Hero Selection

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

ToB Hero Selection

Postby Fung » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:54 am

I'm currently creating a map that is a mix bag of ToB and King of the Hill. When it's complete it should be a lot of fun. I was hoping someone on here could help me with the hero selection triggers ToB uses. I've tried searching thehelper.net for how-to's, but with no luck. My problem is how a single click selects the hero and making the non selected heroes be removed from the center.

If this is the wrong forum I'll gladly repost it in the appropriate location.

Thank you
Fung

Re: ToB Hero Selection

Postby Kaz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:09 pm

There's a "a unit is selected" event. Don't remember if it can be generic or not.

Simplest way is to change ownership to the selecting player and move its position. Make sure to check the hero doesn't already belong to someone.
Kaz

Postby Herosbane » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:56 pm

I'm torn between a post just saying "I tell you what." and trying to express my doubt in such a map with the following emoticon:

>:/
Herosbane

Postby Fung » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:44 pm

I'd love to hear constructive feedback. It's easy for the designer to think the game will be fun and enjoyable because when playing it out in their head it all makes sense. However I feel it's important to hear what others are thinking.

If you're interested I have more details on the map but off the top of your head what do you think? Where can this go south?
Fung

Postby DE » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:59 pm

Keeping players who are relatively new to the genre interested. They need to have a desire to invest time into the game to get to all the juicy stuff - meaning a strong opening for the game. Thats why DoTA and ToB became so popular.

I've seen good AoS maps go to the dumps cause the first half hour or so was just a grind.
DE

Location: Developing compromising photos in a red-room, of course.

Postby Fung » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:50 am

DE wrote:Keeping players who are relatively new to the genre interested. They need to have a desire to invest time into the game to get to all the juicy stuff - meaning a strong opening for the game. Thats why DoTA and ToB became so popular.

I've seen good AoS maps go to the dumps cause the first half hour or so was just a grind.

You make a very good point. I want the game to be quick but not over before the player reaches level 5. It's definitely something I'm going to consider more heavily. Thanks.
Fung

Postby Herosbane » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:11 pm

Um, so, I re-read your post and I get what you're doing.

For some reason I was thinking it was like... King of the Hill Maul with Bobby and Hank and Peggy heroes.
Herosbane

Postby Tirion » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:25 am

Herosbane wrote:Um, so, I re-read your post and I get what you're doing.

For some reason I was thinking it was like... King of the Hill Maul with Bobby and Hank and Peggy heroes.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I am relieved.
Tirion

Postby DE » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:33 am

Fung wrote:
DE wrote:Keeping players who are relatively new to the genre interested. They need to have a desire to invest time into the game to get to all the juicy stuff - meaning a strong opening for the game. Thats why DoTA and ToB became so popular.

You make a very good point. I want the game to be quick but not over before the player reaches level 5. It's definitely something I'm going to consider more heavily. Thanks.

Most of it comes from simplicity coupled with originality. If you can jump into the game, understand the terrain and pathing, know where the vendors are, and understand how to get into the thick of battle immediately, yet at the same time be visually pleased with the art and the level of originality in the heroes, then by god you've got yourself a map.
DE

Location: Developing compromising photos in a red-room, of course.

Postby erwtenpeller » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:36 am

You could also just download vexorians hero selection. Its basically the same as tobs, with the exception of tooltips that are shown on hover-over.
erwt.blogspot.com - Personal art exposé.
www.wc3campaigns.net - For all your modding needs.
erwtenpeller

Postby Fung » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:27 pm

DE wrote:Most of it comes from simplicity coupled with originality. If you can jump into the game, understand the terrain and pathing, know where the vendors are, and understand how to get into the thick of battle immediately, yet at the same time be visually pleased with the art and the level of originality in the heroes, then by god you've got yourself a map.

That's the challenge of game making. It's something I'm enjoying very much. For all game designs I write the first thing I do is create philosophies so while I'm designing gameplay, enviroment, etc I know it's in the context of the map. Here are mine for this particular map.

1. The game must be fun and easy. At no point should there be a massive learning curve for any aspect of the game.

2. At no point should the game feel calm and static. This is an epic battle type game. Not in terms of time, but based on objectives and enviroment.

3. The lore should make you laugh.

erwtenpeller wrote:You could also just download vexorians hero selection. Its basically the same as tobs, with the exception of tooltips that are shown on hover-over.

Very nice. Thanks for the link.
Fung

Return to Custom Mapmaking