Old fans of tob

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby KStolen » Sat May 31, 2008 12:42 pm

Drainpipes computer doesn't allow him to type upper case Gs without ending the previous sentence.
KStolen

Postby Time-for-cheese » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:28 am

I would be intrested in Beta testing if you need an opinion. You can contact me on bnet
User name:Time-for-cheese
Realm:Us(east)
Time-for-cheese

Postby Drain_Pipe » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:53 pm

Kaz wrote:GUI means graphical user interface it's not a file extension

oh. I saw someone use it once and thought it was some sort of format, my bad :/
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Re: Old fans of tob

Postby Iam2good4u2c » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:58 am

I'd like to beta test, if you don't just holla at me. If you want my email or anything just pm me. My east and west account name is 2good4u2c
Iam2good4u2c

Beta testing

Postby I_dohknow » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:25 am

I would be intrested in Beta testing if you need an opinion. You can contact me on bnet
User name:I_DohKnoW
Realm:Us(east )
I_dohknow wat to say
I_dohknow

Postby Iam2good4u2c » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:07 am

Lol.
Iam2good4u2c

Postby I_dohknow » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:14 am

I was too lazy to write so i edit cheese's one
I_dohknow wat to say
I_dohknow

Postby o » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:32 am

lol @ .GUI file extension?
o

Postby WatermelonMan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:42 pm

WatermelonMan

Postby o » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:35 am

blah, that doesn't count. I thought it was common knowledge what a GUI was. Or at least a UI.
o

Postby KStolen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:39 pm

Sure, but English ain't everyone's first language..
KStolen

Postby V1g0r » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:45 am

DKC-Arthas wrote: Their abilities with synergize with other heroes forcing team gameplay.

The keyword here is force. You shouldn't be forcing anyone. Poor players, can they please decide how they want to play for themselves? You should give players rules, not commands.

That being said, it would be pretty hardcore if you could let different spells actually truely synergize with eachother. Like, waterguy casts tidlewave, ice guy casts frostbolts, and the wave gets FROZEN. The naturegay casts entangle, the fireguy casts fireball and the vines catch FIRE. Yeah.

Even better is if they would actually yell out their combo attack in little text bubbles.

With explosives.
V1g0r

Postby erwtenpeller » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:16 am

Y E S
erwt.blogspot.com - Personal art exposé.
www.wc3campaigns.net - For all your modding needs.
erwtenpeller

Postby V1g0r » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:30 am

It would be cheesy like this:

Person A: WATERFALL!
Person B: FROSTBOLT!
Together: WATER-ICE COMBO STYLE: THOUSAND YEAR TUNDRA!

Oh yeah.
V1g0r

Postby Herosbane » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:40 am

Hah. Only if a chinese man screams it at the top of his lungs.

TOUSAND YEAH TAHNDRA!
Herosbane

Postby Dr.Willy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:20 am

V1g0r wrote:Person A: WATERFALL!
Person B: FROSTBOLT!
Together: WATER-ICE COMBO STYLE: THOUSAND YEAR TUNDRA!

Person A: BLIZZARD!
Person B: RAIN OF FIRE!
Together: ... RAINSHOWER!!! (of doom)
Dr.Willy

Postby erwtenpeller » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:51 am

I'd be a healing move though ;)
erwt.blogspot.com - Personal art exposé.
www.wc3campaigns.net - For all your modding needs.
erwtenpeller

Postby Dr.Willy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:31 am

Thinking about it it'd be pretty funny if you could counter spells like immolation with monsoon or something like that :D
Dr.Willy

Postby Rising_Dusk » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:48 pm

The only problem with it is how much hard-coding you'd have to do to adjust for every possible spell combination in the game. Even with only 5 heroes per team it'd be a pretty daunting task.

And yeah, fuck week old topics, I wanted to say something.
Rising_Dusk

Postby Drain_Pipe » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:40 pm

Well if you think about it, if most spells gained their powers from buffs, then it'd be pretty simple to create a system that takes all the given buffs into consideration and goes from there. I actually had a similar idea for an aos project that I'm mapping out, where certain buffs cancel eachother out, certain bypass others, and certain deal bonus effects and such. Ie a "wet" buff and a "fire" buff would cancel out. This is a simple way to get a lot of different interaction with spells, whilst keeping triggering to a low. You just look for the buffs, and not the skills individually.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby V1g0r » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:36 am

Rising_Dusk wrote:The only problem with it is how much hard-coding you'd have to do to adjust for every possible spell combination in the game. Even with only 5 heroes per team it'd be a pretty daunting task.

Obviously this concept is for the promised land of modding, Starcraft 2, where everything is possible. We thirsty and desperate modders will migrate to the promised land, seeking ways to turn our most wicked fantasies into truths.

For anyone who is remotely interested in similar casting systems, they should check out Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for the gamecube. This game is a total milkmachine to sell more GBA-Gamecube connectivity cables, but if you get a chance to play it with four players you will actually notice some pretty sly casting mechanics.

You charge up your spell, freezing your character and granting you control over a casting circle. When you release the casting button, you will release the spell. Now here's the catch: your friends can also charge up a spell and move their cursor onto your circle. When you both release your spells at the same time, you can get a combo spell. For example, two times fire would be "Super fire". Or something similar.

I got the chance to play this with three friends the other day, and we had barrels of fun. You actually would count down to release the spells, and communicate with eachother what spell combos you would use for each enemy. Obviously, different enemies would have different weaknesses. Zombies should be tackled with "Holy", which is a mix of "Light" and "Fire" spells.

Another funky feature was that you don't actually learn these magical spells, you have to collect them in each dungeon you enter. That way you really have to think carefull about whom gets what spell, and should distrubute them accordingly. The "Healers" and "Nukers" would be different each time you played the game.

I've always thought that this could translate in to interesting AoS gameplay, but even this airhead realised that it is pretty much impossible to make. Adding ways to neutralise your enemies spells adds even more fun to the mix. You could have a few characters that each resemble an elemental affinity, or you could have neutral characters that can choose elemental affinities as the game progresses.

I'll shut up now.
V1g0r

Postby Cassiel » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:18 am

V1g0r wrote:Obviously this concept is for the promised land of modding, Starcraft 2, where everything is possible. We thirsty and desperate modders will migrate to the promised land, seeking ways to turn our most wicked fantasies into truths.

It's quite doable in WC3, it just, like Dusk said, requires a ton of coding. SC2 won't make it much easier, if it makes it easier at all. In fact SC2 may even wind up making this sort of thing harder to do, at least initially, since we won't have the benefit of any of the WC3 tools we've accumulated over the years.
Cassiel

Postby V1g0r » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:20 am

I was trying to be witty/sarcastic

Obviously I failed.
V1g0r

Postby Cassiel » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:22 am

No, your 'promised land of modding where everything is possible' hyperbole was loud and clear.
Cassiel

Postby V1g0r » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:41 am

Well, I guess I wouldn't know much about whatever is possible and what is not, coming from the guy who frequently asked "the impossible". Even though that "impossiblity" border is expanded every few months. I remember back in the day when our jaws dropped from seeing the custom abilities in the first few RoC Dotas. Magnetic force was like magic to our eyes. (Magnetic force being the ability that pulls all enemies towards the caster)

What am I saying? Well, that you are most certainly right about future SC2 modding. We'll have to get used to the new enviroment, which creates both new challenges and opportunities. In warcraft 3, you can't have an AoS without at least one warden and one demon hunter. Who will be the demon hunters in SC2?
V1g0r

PreviousNext

Return to Custom Mapmaking