Old fans of tob

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Old fans of tob

Postby DKC-Arthas » Sun May 25, 2008 2:35 pm

Warcraft Aftermath is an aos set between the first and second war of azeroth where legendary heroes fight to claim azeroth. Fight as the orchish horde or human alliance, with such heroes as Anduin Lothar, Uther Lightbringer, Gul'Dan and Grom Hellscream!

- Features include 9 balanced heroes with their own roles and unique old school esque abilities on each side, including Unholy armor, Fireball and more!

- Varied unit statting, orcs are slower more powerful with more hp. Humans are faster with high armor, goes with heroes and units of the races.

- Five creep types that spawn; melee, ranged, heavy melee, magic, seige.

- Progressive conquest, destroy an enemy expansion and make your own along the way for faster a to b movement.

- Old school ability and interface icons from wc2, including those made to look wc2.

- Capturable Goldmine and Lumbermill for increased income as an ever existant side quest.

- Phsyical/Magical damage spell system for normal dps and magic, phsyical taking from armor and magic taking from magic reduction!

- Unique items to fit well, including a legendary item for each hero to give them a fifth ability!

- Upgrading "creeps" and towers that level their damage/armor/health with heroes, making it so they are never mere farming fodder.

- Hireable mercenaries including goblin sapper and dwarven demolition squad and more!

- Anti underleveling system, buy a scroll of knowledge if you are 2 levels or more under an enemy hero and you will get a 40% experience gain boost to catch up! You cant exceed their level during this time.

- Classic wc2 sounds unit quotes and stories giving an even greater new school wc2 feel to it.

*UPDATE* Terrain, triggers and baseline units done. All thats left are heroes abilities that are 30% done, open beta testing this weekend if anyone would like to participate ill make a list!

Orcish Horde

Grom Hellscream - primary tank
Blackhand - melee dps/suppoort
Dentarg - offtank/support
Kargath Bladefist - melee dps
Zuljin - ranged dps
Deathwing - ranged dps/support
Gul'dan - magic dps
Teron Gorefiend - summoner/healer
Cho'gall - magic dps/support

Human Alliance

Anduin Lothar - primary tank
Turalyon - offtank/melee dps
Admiral Proudmoore - melee dps/support
Alleria - ranged dps
Danath - melee dps
Kurdran - ranged dps/support
Antonidas - summoner/support
Khadgar - magic dps
Uther Lightbringer - healer/support

I know its been a long time since I've updated or even replied. My computer crashed and pretty much everything was lost and i wasnt the happiest of campers. I've been remaking it with different ideas in place, the remake is near completion and if anyone even has the slightly interest in beta testing it by this weekend ill be hosting it for testing.
Last edited by DKC-Arthas on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Death to dota :)
DKC-Arthas

Postby Drain_Pipe » Sun May 25, 2008 4:44 pm

I'm on board. I've limited myself to a testmap at this point to keep me occupied, but being a beta tester might be a lot funner.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby DKC-Arthas » Sun May 25, 2008 5:27 pm

Glad to have ya on board! Heres a sample screenie to see how the terrain looks and most of the units that are used for "creeps" that all have different properties, neither side are the same, but entirely balanced out. Along with one of the heroes nearing completion beyond the last skill, an older screen shot but works. [img][img]http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8255/wc3scrnshot052508180911qi7.gif[/img][/img]
DKC-Arthas

Postby Kaz » Sun May 25, 2008 6:54 pm

Nice watermark.

Take screenshots with print screen in game and convert the TGAs using irfanview.
Kaz

Postby DKC-Arthas » Sun May 25, 2008 7:30 pm

See that could work too, but i figured it was a way to semi hide the spells? lol
DKC-Arthas

Postby WatermelonMan » Sun May 25, 2008 7:50 pm

I've never seen that terrain before.
WatermelonMan

Postby DKC-Arthas » Sun May 25, 2008 8:28 pm

Hehe cause I never posted anything with it till now
DKC-Arthas

Postby Drain_Pipe » Sun May 25, 2008 8:44 pm

well if you need any ideas for heroes I'm bored atm so any kind of abilities that need to be replaced or thought up just ask. That's mainyl my specialty, thinking up new effects and spells and such. I can send you some of my older work and you can take a look if you want.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby DKC-Arthas » Tue May 27, 2008 7:39 pm

Well, if you knew how to help me with making this skill itd be great lol. Attempting to make a buff skill, that when the buffed unit is attack it has a 15% chance to deal 10% of the dmg dealt and heal the unit for that amount.
DKC-Arthas

Postby Drain_Pipe » Tue May 27, 2008 8:23 pm

well it's very simple, depending on if you JASS or not. Basically, you'll need a damage detection system. So something that registers when any unit takes damage, there's a simple but leaky one for .GUI which works ok, or you have to make 1 for JASS.

Then in the same trigger, you have to add a condition, that the damage source has the specific buff and if they do, do the actions. There's an action to recall the damage dealt and then it's just a little bit of math, and add the 10% on to the damaging unit's health.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby DKC-Arthas » Tue May 27, 2008 8:27 pm

Yeah I dont jass, ive made quite complicated unleaky spells without it. Never attemped one like this before however. It'll be the new school unholy armor, if I can figure it out heh.
DKC-Arthas

Postby DKC-Arthas » Thu May 29, 2008 8:17 am

Heroes featured in the map:

Orcish Horde - Grom Hellscream the Berserker, primary tank.
Blackhand the Bombardier, offtank dps melee.
Teron Gorefiend the Death Knight, healer support caster
Cho'Gall the Ogre Magi, supportive melee.
Gul'dan the Warlock, dps caster
Zul'jin the Troll Warlord, primary ranged dps.
Deathwing the Black Aspect, supportive ranged dps.

Human Alliance - Anduin Lothar the Knight, primary tank.
Daelin Proudmoore the Admiral, offtank melee dps.
Uther Lightbringer the Paladin, healer support melee.
Antonidas the Conjurer, support caster.
Khadgar the Archmage, dps caster.
Kurdran Wildhammer the Storm Rider, supportive ranged dps.
Alleria the Ranger, primary ranged dps.

Each hero has a role, a way to be countered by another and ways to work together with another, takes strategy :). More will be added, but as it stands they are it.
DKC-Arthas

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Thu May 29, 2008 11:54 am

You are without humor in your hero names.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Cassiel » Thu May 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Obviously the "old ToB fan" angle was a smokescreen.
Cassiel

Postby Drain_Pipe » Thu May 29, 2008 4:51 pm

indeed. Then again, it takes skillz to be witty yet still relevantwhen it comes to names.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby WatermelonMan » Thu May 29, 2008 9:50 pm

Turkey_Slayer wrote:You are without humor in your hero names.

fof much?
WatermelonMan

Postby Tirion » Thu May 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Fast old farts whozawha?
Tirion

Postby Justitia » Fri May 30, 2008 7:26 am

I would Beta test as well, whenever I am not busy working on my own map.

Contact info is located in my signature.
I may be contacted on BNET USEast server, in Clan KotB, or by whispering the account Justitia.
Justitia

Postby DKC-Arthas » Fri May 30, 2008 6:33 pm

Well, update on the hero situation, the last hero concepts are done, making it 9 on each side, 3 int agi and str. And the names are subject to change lol, I havent quite decided yet, theyre just about done..

Groms been bumped from main tank to melee dps adding...

Orcish Horde-

Kilrog Deadeye the ???(still thinkin of that.. lol) - Main tank
Dentarg the Magi Apprentice - Melee dps

Human Alliance-

Danath the Mercanary Captain - Melee dps
Turalyon the Crusader - melee dps, support
DKC-Arthas

Postby Drain_Pipe » Fri May 30, 2008 9:08 pm

So when can we try testing this? and BTW, is this all in .GUI/custom script?
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby DKC-Arthas » Fri May 30, 2008 9:24 pm

Most likely unless girlfriend entanglements occur, next week. and yes gui/custom script, but ive perfected non leaking. And btw saw your post before, a damage/knockback system is entirely possible with gui, for ive done it in this one with a certain spell.
DKC-Arthas

Postby Cassiel » Fri May 30, 2008 10:45 pm

Theoretically anything's possible in the GUI if you're just abusing the custom script line. It's really fucking pointless to being using the GUI at that point though, besides being insanely inefficient.
Cassiel

Postby Drain_Pipe » Sat May 31, 2008 9:13 am

Indeed. That's why I've started doing JASS. Honestly at this point , if you made an entire map with .GUI/custom script, you might wanna learn JASS for future projects, because there's a lot more interesting stuff that you can do. and BTW I know knock backs are possible in .GUI, but those are mainly isolated cases. If you really want something you need a system that can be called upon that takes care of all knockbacks, because when you have every hero who can potentially have a knockback spell, then you don't wanna be creating custom triggers for each one. Ideally, you want everything not specific to a spell to be dealt in a system, ie buff timers, damage detection, knockbacks, projectile motion, etc. If everything of this type is controlled separately, then it just 1) adds a lot more work for you, and 2) slows down map performance, i think. If your .GUI takes care of all of this, then it's probably to a limited degree to save time and energy, but JASS is basically .GUI without the interface and with no limitations besides what the program originally had (ie i mean JASS is the program, but .GUI is the limited form of JASS).

A simple example, destroying triggers when they are no longer needed, is something that .GUI cannot do. Using local variables, again something .GUI cannot do. There are some inefficient methods of getting around this (mainly through use of dummy units/abilities) but in the end, if you want to create an intuitive and easily modifiable system, that allows for updates, changes, upgrades, and doesn't limit itself (ie every time you make a new hero, you shouldn't have to add a ton of exceptions to make it work) to anything.

That's where JASS surpasses .GUI.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby Kaz » Sat May 31, 2008 10:42 am

GUI means graphical user interface it's not a file extension
Kaz

Postby DKC-Arthas » Sat May 31, 2008 12:36 pm

Oh I know it has its limitations, but I've yet to run into reaching them with my weird ideas for things. I do plan on eventually converting everything into jass to reduce some clutter, but for now meh, itd be more of a pain to redo everything ive done in jass at this point. Sratch that, some spells are done in jass because i did reach the pinicle of what i couldnt do in gui. But not in all cases, more of a pain for me actually to do it in jass.
DKC-Arthas

Next

Return to Custom Mapmaking