Getting groups to follow around you like locust

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Getting groups to follow around you like locust

Postby Drain_Pipe » Mon May 12, 2008 6:59 pm

Trying to make a summoning spell that has summoned units patrol around you, attack other units, chase them if they run away but return if they venture too far out, and not look shitty. Any ideas on how I should set this up?
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby Kaz » Mon May 12, 2008 8:05 pm

Locust swarm or triggers that do the same thing
Kaz

Postby Drain_Pipe » Mon May 12, 2008 9:25 pm

Well I tried triggers, but it's very very choppy.

I was more wondering if there's a good/better setup to things than what I'm doing, which is basically ordering th units to attack-move to, random points around my hero...
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby WatermelonMan » Tue May 13, 2008 12:15 am

I did something like this but it's horrible bad and not done with JASS.
WatermelonMan

Postby Drain_Pipe » Tue May 13, 2008 6:05 pm

actually i got it to work rather nicely. The problem's now fixed somewhat. The thing was that igave the units the ward stat in the unit editor and it conflicted with things.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby WatermelonMan » Fri May 16, 2008 5:16 pm

how did you get them to do it?
WatermelonMan

Postby Drain_Pipe » Sat May 17, 2008 10:54 pm

it's a bit messy but the main code was to have very short intervals, but only order them to attack-move in random spots in an area if they didn't have the current proper order. Ie current issued order of unit not equal to "attack"; this order triggers when a unit attacks another unit, or is order to attack/attack move etc. It's also really good to do it this way because you can still control your spawns to focus fire on a unit or move to a certain location without it resetting. The only bitch was getting them to return if they were too far away, while still attacking a target, which I couldn't manage to do (they started acting weird and wouldn't respond unless I clicked on and order them back in which case, i manually triggered their movement back into the appropriate bounds. For the most part, it looks relatively natural so I'm satisfied.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Postby WatermelonMan » Sat May 17, 2008 11:13 pm

oh yeah, that's what I did. Except every time you ordered them to do something (like moving to a random spot) I had it check to see if they were X distance away, and if they were, I'd increase their movement speed and order them to move to the controlling hero and once they got in within adequate range I'd revert them to normal speed. I used the speed changes cuz they were flyers so it looked kewl = )
WatermelonMan

Re: Getting groups to follow around you like locust

Postby Justitia » Sun May 18, 2008 1:52 am

Drain_Pipe wrote:Trying to make a summoning spell that has summoned units patrol around you, attack other units, chase them if they run away but return if they venture too far out, and not look shitty. Any ideas on how I should set this up?
Ask Rising_Dusk@USEast; he made the spell years ago.
I may be contacted on BNET USEast server, in Clan KotB, or by whispering the account Justitia.
Justitia

Postby Drain_Pipe » Sun May 18, 2008 6:21 pm

I'd have to see how his differed. Mine works quite well atm so I'm gonna leave ity anyways, but i might ask him just to see the difference.
-Drain Pipe Out-
Drain_Pipe

Return to Custom Mapmaking