Help With Custom Skinning

For discussions regarding skinning and mapmaking for Warcraft 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Help With Custom Skinning

Postby YnEoS » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:13 am

I recently made 2 custom skins for mountain king, a regular one and one for his avatar form. I imported them into the map, but only the avatar one works for some reason. I checked the path name on the other one many times to see if it was correct, and it matches the same path in my Image Extractor.

Just incase there was something wrong with the image, I tried switching the paths of the avatar and normal skin, and the skin for his normal form now worked while he was in avatar, but the avatar one would no longer work on the normal form.

Is there something weird about the Mountain King's skin path where it doesn't match the path in the Image Extractor? It would be lots of help if someone could tell me whats wrong. Here are the 2 paths I used for the skins.

Units\Human\HeroMountainKing\heromountainking.blp
Units\Human\HeroMountainKing\heromountainkingAvatar.blp
YnEoS

Postby desitear » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:09 am

ReplaceableTextures\HeroMountainKing\HeroMountainKing.blp
desitear

Postby YnEoS » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:48 am

ok thanks for the help it works now. I have a second problem now though. Whenever I give archmage a custom skin, he gets realyl screwed up in the game editor. Certain parts of him are pitch black and as you move the camera around they switch between being pitch black, the custom skin I made, and sometimes his beard goes completely red. It's really weird and I've tried re-doing the skin in a bunch of different way but he always comes out messed up. Does anyone know how to properly modify the archmage skin?
YnEoS

Postby erwtenpeller » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:59 am

like any other skin? You must have trouble with the alpha channels or your wc3, i really wouldnt know any other explanation. In all my skinning days, i've never seen a broblem like the one you describe.
erwtenpeller

Postby YnEoS » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:26 am

Here's something messed up, I just tried importing the regular archmage skin to see if that would still work and it still glitches up.
YnEoS

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:52 am

erwtenpeller wrote:like any other skin? You must have trouble with the alpha channels or your wc3, i really wouldnt know any other explanation. In all my skinning days, i've never seen a broblem like the one you describe.

Less pro skin talking, more War3.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby YnEoS » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:29 am

Crap, more problems. Just made a custom skin for Tauren Chieftan, but everytime I try to save it as a BLP I get the error "Runtime Error: 9: Subscript out of range". I'm beginning to think some of these problems are caused by Wc3 Image Extractor II. Does anyone know of a program that works bettter than this for custom skinning?
YnEoS

Postby YnEoS » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:48 am

Hate to double post but now death knight is glitching out just like the archmage is. Does anyone know what image extractor was used when making Tides of Blood? Since Tides of Blood uses a custom Tauren Chieftan Skin, and a Death Knight skin theres got to be a way to fix this.
YnEoS

Postby LordOfBunnys » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:24 pm

Thats interesting...

Though I haven't skinned much, I have tried these models.
I haven't had any problems with uploading them either.
LordOfBunnys

Postby YnEoS » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:39 am

It seems I'm having more troubles yet again with skinning. Now I can't find any of the heros that were added from patches(Alchemist, Tinker, Firelord) in my Image Extractor, does anyone know what to do to extract these?
YnEoS

Postby Kain » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:03 pm

A lesser man would have given up by now. Godspeed.
Kain

Postby Mengde » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:38 pm

YnEoS wrote:It seems I'm having more troubles yet again with skinning. Now I can't find any of the heros that were added from patches(Alchemist, Tinker, Firelord) in my Image Extractor, does anyone know what to do to extract these?

The program I use by default accesses whateverdirectory/War3.mpq, so it may work the same way for the Image Extractor. You need to manually open whateverdirectory/War3x.mpq. That has the expansion stuff. Failing that, there should be a War3patch.mpq or something along those lines.
I know the pieces fit, 'cause I watched them tumble down.
No fault, none to blame; it doesn't mean I don't desire
To point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over
To bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication.
Mengde

Postby YnEoS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:51 am

They don't appear to be in War3x.mpq and War3patch.mpq gives me an error message "Couldn't open the lisfile 0". Just curious what program did you use to extract images just because I'm thinking that the problems might be caused by my image extractor.

On another note, more problems. My lich displays it's custom skin in the editor but in-game it goes back to the default skin.
YnEoS

Postby Mengde » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:45 am

I use the Warcraft 3 Viewer. Here's a link.
I know the pieces fit, 'cause I watched them tumble down.
No fault, none to blame; it doesn't mean I don't desire
To point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over
To bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication.
Mengde

Postby YnEoS » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:52 am

Okay so Warcraft 3 Viewer helped a lot. All my glitchy skins now work fine, but I still have a few problems.

1. I can save Tauren Chieftain as a blp now, but it doesn't seem to work. I think the problem might be the file path, I tried Textures\HeroTaurenChieftain.blp, ReplaceableTextures\HeroTaurenChieftain\HeroTaurenChieftain.blp, and Units\Orc\HeroTaurenChieftain\HeroTaurenChieftain.blp and none work, does anyone know the propper path?

2. Lich still doesn't display in game but it does display in editor. Not sure about this one but the Path is Textures\HeroLich.blp

3. Still can't find the patch skins for some reason. If anyone could show me a place to download skins for Alchemist, Chem Rage Alchemist, Tinker, Robo Tinker, and Firelord that would help a lot. And I will probably need their filepaths too.
YnEoS

Postby EzekieL » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:57 am

Waaaay back in the day Draco from wc3campaigns posted 2 list files with every unit path from RoC and TFT respectivly. I still have the files i can mail them to you if youd like Yneos. Just PM me with you email address. All you have to do when you open the file is hit Ctrl+F and type in the name of the hero untill you find the correct path.

For the tinker/firelord/alchemist your going to need to get the War3patch.mpq.
EzekieL

Postby KStolen » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:58 am

The correct path for the TaurenChieftain is Textures\HeroTaurenChieftain.blp

What you can do (If you have the space on your HD) is extract all the files from War3.mpq and War3x.mpq with an MPQ extractor. That way, its easier (and quicker) to navigate around that knida stuff.

A good program to use for Model Viewing/Editing is War3ModelEditor by Magos. It can import and export MDX,MDL and most picture formats (BLP,TGA). It also has a vertex editor included (not as good as OinkerWinkles, but not bad) and the ability to manage geosets, nodes, materials and sequences. It views animations as well.

IMO, its better than the War3Viewer (though it occasionally makes the ialmrnt driver crash on my PC. Another thing is that it won't render a model it can't find a texture for, so you'll have to use FileConverter to make a MDL and edit that texture.

I havent seen a better model viewer.
You can probably find it here http://Magos.TheJeffFiles.com/.

Hopefully thiswas helpful :D
KStolen

Return to Custom Mapmaking