Mage ice talent build

For all discussions regarding World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Moderators

Mage ice talent build

Postby Setsuna » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:34 pm

I've been told the new patch, the mage becomes pretty powerful going into the ice talents...

Any insight into a good build for that?
Setsuna

Postby DE » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:09 am

Heres a pretty good BASE build for ice.

From here on out you can choose what the rest of the points are...Fire for elemental, go more into ice (ICE BARRIER FTW ZOMG), or a little arcane for PvE. Elemental Precision is really nice, too. Makes up for alot of gear you'd need...

This is mine currently.
DE

Location: Developing compromising photos in a red-room, of course.

Postby Serra » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:32 am

What are you looking to spec for? PvP, heavy raiding, or a mix of the two? The new patch added a bunch of survivability/burst for PvP with Elemental, and eased up the threat for raiding. How either of those concepts applies to your Mage depends on what it is you actually do. :P
Serra

Postby Annihil8 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:54 am

Thats my current build and id say for pvp imp counter spell is a need, and imp blizzard i heard is pretty good in AV, but i havent tried it in av yet. But my build id say is mostley for lvling cuz im still kinda low for MC and Blw
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/mages/talents.html?0000000000000000000000000000000005053200101051300#none
Annihil8

Postby Setsuna » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:39 am

Serra wrote:What are you looking to spec for? PvP, heavy raiding, or a mix of the two? The new patch added a bunch of survivability/burst for PvP with Elemental, and eased up the threat for raiding. How either of those concepts applies to your Mage depends on what it is you actually do. :P

I'm going for something that is more pve, but can deal with pvp to an extent...
Setsuna

Postby Serra » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:36 am

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=Rf0VZZiAG0oftAo
Is something I would do. Before Ice had an entire tree full of talents worth taking, this was a lot easier. :P

Improved Frostbolt is for those weird Mages that like to do damage instead of gazing at their glowing hands.
Frost Warding is a PvP facet I've found rewarding.
Elemental Precision is strictly late-game PvE but in those three points you can make up for months of raiding in effectiveness. If you're leveling, it also allows you to fight mobs 3-4 levels above you without being resisted extensively.
Frostbite isn't a talent I'm fond of, but in instances it'll save your life and for 3 points it's not a bad investment. I'd drop these in Permafrost if you group PvP at all.
Cold Snap is a no-brainer.
Frost Nova is for Shatter which is mandatory for PvP.
Frost Channeling went from the best PvE talent in the three to the best PvE talent in the game in 1.11, as far as I'm concerned.
Improved Cone of Cold is mandatory for PvP.
Winter's Chill is trash for PvP, but if you ever group with another Ice Mage, look out. O_o
Ice Block is the best mage talent in my opinion.
Ice Barrier is 4x better than it was last patch with a 30 second cooldown.

The Arcane Tree is simply for Arcane Concentration which rocks profusely for long fights and reducing downtime.

For some background on why my opinion is worth a damn, my (retired) Mage's profile is here, and as you can tell by the 3/2 Burning Soul talent, the profile hasn't been updated in a while. Build I currently use is here. It's a build based strictly on Scorch in PvP based on my high +fire damage (get some pretty ridiculous rolling Ignites with Combustion too ^_^). Since ZHC got nerfed, I just wear my Eye of the Beast too - profile doesn't reflect that.
Serra

Postby DE » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:57 am

Serra wrote:http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=Rf0VZZiAG0oftAo
Is something I would do. Before Ice had an entire tree full of talents worth taking, this was a lot easier. :P

Improved Frostbolt is for those weird Mages that like to do damage instead of gazing at their glowing hands.
Frost Warding is a PvP facet I've found rewarding.
Elemental Precision is strictly late-game PvE but in those three points you can make up for months of raiding in effectiveness. If you're leveling, it also allows you to fight mobs 3-4 levels above you without being resisted extensively.
Frostbite isn't a talent I'm fond of, but in instances it'll save your life and for 3 points it's not a bad investment. I'd drop these in Permafrost if you group PvP at all.
Cold Snap is a no-brainer.
Frost Nova is for Shatter which is mandatory for PvP.
Frost Channeling went from the best PvE talent in the three to the best PvE talent in the game in 1.11, as far as I'm concerned.
Improved Cone of Cold is mandatory for PvP.
Winter's Chill is trash for PvP, but if you ever group with another Ice Mage, look out. O_o
Ice Block is the best mage talent in my opinion.
Ice Barrier is 4x better than it was last patch with a 30 second cooldown.

The Arcane Tree is simply for Arcane Concentration which rocks profusely for long fights and reducing downtime.

For some background on why my opinion is worth a damn, my (retired) Mage's profile is here, and as you can tell by the 3/2 Burning Soul talent, the profile hasn't been updated in a while. Build I currently use is here. It's a build based strictly on Scorch in PvP based on my high +fire damage (get some pretty ridiculous rolling Ignites with Combustion too ^_^). Since ZHC got nerfed, I just wear my Eye of the Beast too - profile doesn't reflect that.

Personally, I'd take the two points out of Frost Warding and 1 point out of Winter's Chill (All you need in WC is 4 points if you have a good balance of Frost Mages, and Frost Warding only provides +168 armor) then take those 3 points and put it into Piercing Ice. With enough +Spell Damage, the Piercing ice REALLY makes a big difference - With a 700 damage Frost bolt (avg. damage for an avg +250 spell damage FB) thats +42 spell damage.
DE

Location: Developing compromising photos in a red-room, of course.

Postby Serra » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:19 pm

Fair enough, I did use Piercing Ice back when I was frost - but it really is more of a min/max talent. If you have good gear and are crunching numbers, no denying its necessity. I sure do like Frost Warding though. :P
Serra

Postby Zeuter » Mon May 19, 2008 12:16 pm

simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby mmmmmmmBacon » Mon May 19, 2008 9:42 pm

nice
mmmmmmmBacon

Postby erwtenpeller » Tue May 20, 2008 4:18 am

cloth is for pussies 8)
erwt.blogspot.com - Personal art exposé.
www.wc3campaigns.net - For all your modding needs.
erwtenpeller

Postby V1g0r » Wed May 21, 2008 2:52 am

If you want to raid serious 25 man content, I wouldn't go too deep in Frost if I where you. A good chunck of frost DPS depends on freezing your opponent and then using shatter. Almost all serious raid targets are unfreezable, except for some kitables.

Most of the mage sin my guild spec up to Icy Veins, and the rest in Fire.
V1g0r

Postby Zeuter » Wed May 21, 2008 3:14 am

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:34 am
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby V1g0r » Wed May 21, 2008 7:09 am

Zeuter wrote:Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:34 am

Very insightfull.