Allies=douches: is it server specific?

For all discussions regarding World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Moderators

Allies=douches: is it server specific?

Postby Valhalla » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:51 am

When I started playing WoW, I picked Horde for the sake of two of my brothers being in the game on it. They told me all this crap about allies always camping and ganking low levels and what not, and I figured it had to be the same both ways. Turns out that it wasn't nearly the level of gankage from Horde to Ally as it was from Ally to Horde.

As a druid, one of my first stops was Bloodhoof Village. Only about an hour into the game and I saw my first allies: /3 Bloodhoof Village is under attack! Lo and behold, these guys were decked out in epics, even though it was only about four of them, 2 would have been enough to wipe the whole village if anyone made any bad moves and attacked them.

Since then, I've gone on to see allies gank 30+ levels below them. To date I've only killed one ally that was more than 5 levels below me, mostly because she both gank'd one of my bros and had a 55 war try to get me. Allies on Azshara are pricks through and through, and I just wanted to know if this kind of problem was the same on other servers.
Valhalla

Postby DAN THE SCARY VAMPIRE RAR » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:02 am

Obviously it's just a product of the people. There can be fags on Horde that are just as bad. But as far as tendancy goes, I'll agree.

In all my playing, I've consistently found allies to be far more ganktastic. My reasoning is that the look and feel of being a "good guy", a human, an elf, is more conducive to younger players. So if you think about it that way, a pre-teen dominated side would definitely be more "douchey".

But yeah, I've played Horde and Alliance on probably 10+ servers, and the Alliance is always more annoying.

...RAR
DAN THE SCARY VAMPIRE RAR

Postby NaturalAffinity » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:56 am

This is the exact opposite on my current server. As an alliance player, I always have the constant fear of getting ganked which can be contributed to the 3:1 horde to alliance population ratio. Horde rogues would ambush you even after you left the battlegrounds (camping around the battlemaster). Many people dub stv as the ganking capital and Un Goro its neighbor. So throughout my leveling experience I had to avoid those areas despite them having great quests. The only way you could get things done were if you came with a group of 3+ and Balnazzar being one of the lowest populated servers doesn't help accomplish this. Oh and do not get me started with the level 60 battlegrounds. None of the top alliance guilds frequently pvps except one. However, all it seems with Horde is pvp. So what you get are long wait times for games that end in 8 minutes or your money is back guaranteed. Why'd I choose this server? Not much of a choice but rather a promise to friends that I'd have to get to 60 with them this time. Anyways, anyone know any good servers to transfer to? :)
NaturalAffinity

Postby Valhalla » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:24 pm

STV's just as bad for us. When I was the level range for the Nesingwary's quests, there was always a 60 camping to make sure some allies could get quests turned in. That's what pisses me off the most; the allies will never 1v1 within 5 levels unless they're a pally (which are all arrogant; guess I would be too if I was playing WoW on easy mode). It's pathetic.
Valhalla

Postby Mr Anthrax » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:12 am

On my Frostmane, Alliance camped every Goblin town, Blackrock Mountain and Thorium Point/Kargath. At least 5 guilds would do this non-stop 24/7. Yet on Barthilas, the ganking and camping is limited only to hunters and any group with a warlock.
Mr Anthrax

Postby erwtenpeller » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:55 am

I play alliance, and i must say a lot of my guildies take great pride in taking down any horde, regardless of level. As long as it has a red name floating above them, they'll kill it.

From horde side i've never had too much ganks, with one exception:
Undead Rogues.

They are by far the wost thing i've seen, ever. Its like theres thousands of them constantly patrolling to kill any alliance player... ugh.

(Jaedanaar, Europe)
erwtenpeller

Postby Valhalla » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:40 am

Well, rogues in general are the worst. Especially UD and NE; though I hate the NE, 'cause I'm pretty sure that about 98% of the Nelfrogues are 12 year olds with the ninja complex.
Valhalla

Postby Ramius » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:39 am

Same on my server. Alliance camp the fuck out of BRS, Silithus, and STV.

The most annoying shit ever for me must be NE hunters in goblin towns. They think they're so godamned cool when they scatter shot me and FD to drop guard aggro.

I sit there staring at them wondering what the fucking point of that was.
Ramius

Postby NaturalAffinity » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:16 am

Gadgetzan = Hunter gank zone.
Trying to enter ZF might have been worse.
NaturalAffinity

Postby GraveI » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:32 am

The grass is greener on the other side - I've always seen both sides complain and whine.

Obviously the server pops can affect this, but really. If you don't like it, get off a pvp server.
I said, YEAH BABY YEAH, I am the evil Midnight Bomber what bombs things at midnight!
GraveI

Postby Valhalla » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:55 pm

Grave, you must be having some trouble understanding what the complaints are about. I love PvP. I love the awkwardness of questing some raptors only to see some dwarf warrior doing the same quest, then we both go at it. That's what PvP is supposed to be; that's why there's an honor system. When douchbaggity allies start killing some 30 levels below to brag about how they just one-shotted a newb, that's when it gets out of hand. PvP is a great idea, and it works really well within levels, but you shouldn't be able to call on 10 of your 60 friends from the guild to stalk me just because I killed you once (happened at Thorium point).

Great story with that, btw. I was 49 at the time, saw a 47 lock running around near the same area I was. Stealthed and ravaged, shredded once, then she was all up ons. Lasted for a little bit before I managed to kill her (thank goodness she wasn't Demon spec'd), and I left her at that. Mourned the body and left. Some 10 minutes later, a 60 druid killed me and /rofl'd my body about 30 times. I revived, he did it again. Waited 10 minutes before I revived and another druid from the same guild was on me. Spirit rez'd in town and stealthed to see that 5 of her friends from the guild were there, then complained to my guild that female Nelves can get anyone to do anything just because they have the model for it; and sure enough, she unequipped everything and danced for them all. It's pathetic.

Allies probably have an average age of 16, accounting for all the 40+ gamers, whereas Horde is probably around 20. Little kids piss me off as much as parents that let their kids buy teen games. Same deal on here as in Halo 2; I'm pretty sure the rating isn't there to protect the kids from the content, it's to keep the kids from pissing off players by being little kids.
Valhalla

Postby pix » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:34 pm

Killing people 30 levels below you is a cycle. They did it to you, now you do it to them. It's still part of PvP. A large group of 30s can take down a 60. No matter how annoying or pointless it is, 60s will always be killing 30s, so get used to it. And Alliance has no more complete morons than Horde does. If anything I'd use Dan's logic but say Horde has more, because being Undead is way fucking cooler than being a human.
pix

Postby Ramius » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:23 pm

I am fully cognizant of my own biasness when I say alliance are retarded on my server.
Ramius

Postby mmmmmmmBacon » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:27 pm

I can agree though that i'm a douche, killing BRS groups alone can be so fun and very epeen enlarging.
mmmmmmmBacon

Postby GraveI » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:27 pm

Valhalla wrote:Allies probably have an average age of 16, accounting for all the 40+ gamers, whereas Horde is probably around 20. Little kids piss me off as much as parents that let their kids buy teen games. Same deal on here as in Halo 2; I'm pretty sure the rating isn't there to protect the kids from the content, it's to keep the kids from pissing off players by being little kids.

It has nothing to do with faction. Grass is greener on the other side.

Anyways, the 60 thing is to be expected, if you play on a pvp server not expecting it, DONT play on a pvp server. Cause it was always a part of it, and always will be. There are even all sorts of warnings made by Bliz that if you choose a pvp server, you WILL be corpse camped, and you WILL be picked on by 60s, and to buck up and quit whining about it.
I said, YEAH BABY YEAH, I am the evil Midnight Bomber what bombs things at midnight!
GraveI

Postby erwtenpeller » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:53 am

i like it when one gank couses a guildwar. Its fun. You know, you get ganked, call a 60 friend, take revenge, the other guy calls a 60 friend too... and before you know it, hillsbrad is at open war once again.
erwtenpeller

Postby EzekieL » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:30 am

erwt less WoW more wc3. But i like your point it is fun how it escalates that far.
EzekieL

Postby mmmmmmmBacon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:27 am

erwtenpeller wrote:i like it when one gank couses a guildwar. Its fun. You know, you get ganked, call a 60 friend, take revenge, the other guy calls a 60 friend too... and before you know it, hillsbrad is at open war once again.

we had some guys mess us up on emeriss by taking off their gear and turning into mushrooms, so, 4 of us went and wiped them out on Lethon. Mindcontrolled the main tank and sent the tank to attack their main priest (too bad this can't be done with a mind control hat anymore). from that night on, our guild purposely scouted out the dragons just to camp that guild, not so much as trying to kill the dragons for loot.
mmmmmmmBacon

Postby Ramius » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:51 pm

Thats harsh. Bring back the days when I could fear people off ledges.
Ramius

Postby Sciz » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:25 am

Well as you can see its quite different on each side. I am a 60 Pally on Smolderthorn.
On smolder there is about a 3:2 horde:alliance pop. When I was still lvling, like said above I got ganked a shitload by 60s in stv, arathi, hillsbrad etc,(not ungoro that much), but either way the whole time I was just thinking "horde are gay."

So now that I am 60, I just feel its time to return the favor, even though I know they aren't the same people. And yea I go out alot and gank people 20+ lower lvls than me. Its also really fun pissing them off, like you've shown above lmao.
Sciz

Postby Shirushi » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:30 pm

Level 23, questing in stone talon as a tauren warrior. This was my first experiance with alliance, and I was camped horribly untill I had a 5 minute rez timer. I will always remember this because I was running past the grimtotem compund and adds had spawned on top of me and they watched me run away dazed like a wounded stag and then put me down. Every time I see an alliance player, I think of sparing them, and then this thought comes to mind and I two shot them.
Why so serious?
Shirushi

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:41 pm

DAN THE SCARY VAMPIRE RAR wrote:
In all my playing, I've consistently found allies to be far more ganktastic. My reasoning is that the look and feel of being a "good guy", a human, an elf, is more conducive to younger players. So if you think about it that way, a pre-teen dominated side would definitely be more "douchey".

Oh sorry for a non-MMO guy to burst in but that was most interesting. There is another thing that could be alluded from this that silenced me for a moment.

Could it be that not only being a good guy and hero for the light is more alluring for pre-teens, but that as the Alliance players see themselves as the good and rightous guys, it reinforces a feeling that giving crap and purging the evil Horde players at all times is a good thing, even if it means ganking -30 level players? On the other hand a Horde player doesn´t necessarily see himself as evil and even less so the alliance and thus feels more bad about ganking completely underleveled people, as it would feel wrong giving crap to a good and upright guy? Kinda like beating up a priest just feels wrong, but beating up that punk is ok for many people? This would, of course, only explain a certain tendency and not by case examples.

Ah well, perhaps far-fetched.
Nein, nein, nein! Do not be so little! When I say answer it, I mean respond to it, to Them.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby Zeuter » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:20 am

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not sorry at all when I kill a priest when he's trying to rape me.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby BenTheCarotte » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:47 am

Well, I am Horde, and I gank some alliance when I cross them once in a while. Especially since I am a warlock, I can just cast 1 DoT and /dance until they die. I often do a /sorry afterwards, but I never corpse camp anyone. Unless he corpse camped me first, then he'll see that I can stay dancing on his body for a good while.

However, PvP servers are very fun when evcen fight happens. I remember once, when I was lvl 30ish, a hunter around my level was killing stuff somewhere near where I was, I let him finish his mob and heal up and we fighted, was very tight fight and I won. He later rezzed and congratulated me and went questing elsewhere.
BenTheCarotte

Postby Mr Anthrax » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:39 am

Zeuter, do you play as an altar boy?
Mr Anthrax

Return to World of Warcraft