Page 2 of 3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:03 pm
by harveymudd
A few things.

1- Who smokes cigs and reads at the same time? You're not Bill Hicks. You will never look badass smoking, and reading at the same time. Especially reading steven king. You should just hang outside a thrift store smoking Kamel Reds and reading the latest issue of Shonen Jump. God that would be so badass and funny I'd shit myself.

2- Great Gatsby is a good book. I liked it. Does it matter that I liked it and you didn't? No it doesn't. That there is a matter of taste. Was it well written? Yes, that there is a matter of quality. You could like the taste of venison all you want (I'm not into it that much) but if it came to you undercooked, riddled with shrapnel and flesh eating bacteria you would question its quality. I would hope so, no opinion there...that Venison is pure shit.

3- Thank you Raven for proving to me once more that teenagers think the world revolves around them. Only a self-involved teenager would believe that an author would write a book to vicariously gain attention and sympathy through the main character. Fitzgerald didn't create Gatsby as an extension of himself, if anything it was in response to the events going on in America at the time.

4- This is just a note to everyone between the ages of 13 and 18. More likely than not, you are wrong. You are not a prodigy. If you were a prodigy you wouldn't be posting on this website, you'd be recruited into some NSA program at an early age and force fed government propaganda until you thought persian food was poison and indians eat giant dung beetles for dinner.

Oh wait, that last part was from Indiana Jones...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:19 pm
by Lordredeye
I hate the internet because I can’t really convey a message the way I would like to, I’ll leave it at that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:35 pm
by Turkey_Slayer
That either means you're lazy or you've seen that you're wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:56 pm
by Vladimer
Um, what?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:35 pm
by Lordredeye
Turky_Slayer Wrote:
That either means you're lazy or you've seen that you're wrong.


wrong about what?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:42 pm
by Gorbadoc
"Quality" is largely objective, and most of its subjective significance disappears if we're careful to discount anecdotal evidence (the fact that Kaz says it's elixer does not make it so). "Taste" meanwhile is the quintessence of subjectivity. If you insist on nitpicking over definitions, put your criticism in the form of a request for clarification. For example, "I'm not sure what the distinction is that you're drawing between 'taste' and 'quality'; please clarify."

Is your mom a sharp wit? Because I found that clever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:09 pm
by herbyhancok
Just wondering. Since when is 4 a couple? Or is this also a subjective matter?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:15 pm
by Zeuter
A couple of couples.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:26 am
by harveymudd
Alright, this raven fellow hates himself as much as a crab in a craw house. This is good.

Your next step is to drink yourself into oblivion. God I love my fucking advice. Maybe I could moonlight as the devil.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:52 am
by Kaz
TheRaven7 wrote:Kaz, quality is a matter of opinion. Some might consider a Lincoln or Lexus car high quality, while others driving their Roles-Royces might consider it mediocre.
Of course, the first group of people would rank a Roles-Royce higher than the Lincoln or Lexus, but consider experience. Someone who has bought their stuff at Sears for 20 years and never had any problems might consider the store's quality higher than one who has only received defective products.


No. They might prefer one car manufacturer over the other (in an educated manner or not) based on certain factors, but that's a question of tastes and preferences. The quality of these different aspects of their cars can be empirically measured. There are many people whose career is doing just that.

The Sears thing is just an example of dumbshits basing their opinions on anecdotal evidence. Speaking of which, are you going to argue next that opinions can't be wrong since they're subjective? Because it's about as dumb as "quality is subjective".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:04 am
by Dr.Mellifluous
And yet you still come back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:27 pm
by Cassiel
Gorbadoc wrote:Is your mom a sharp wit? Because I found that clever.

Word. That's much funnier than anything Raven himself has ever said. Then again I once asked a student if she knew what voyeurs and exhibitionists were, and she replied, in all seriousness, that they were people who went on voyages and expeditions.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:57 pm
by Dr.Mellifluous
Was this a student who wanted to slob on your knob?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:51 pm
by Dr.Mellifluous
So what is platonic conception? It's not a platonic reflection...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:34 pm
by Kaz
It's making babies by just holding hands.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:18 pm
by Dr.Mellifluous
Raven's mom already made that joke.

But I'm totally serial guys. Platonic conception like the twice divided line?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:45 pm
by Cassiel
The line is divided four times and yes, conception as in concept as in idea as in eidos.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:29 pm
by Gorbadoc
Melli wrote:But I'm totally serial guys. Platonic conception like the twice divided line?

Plate tectonic convection like the twice divided supercontinent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:06 pm
by Dr.Mellifluous
Cassiel wrote:The line is divided four times and yes, conception as in concept as in idea as in eidos.


Divided into four sections, or four times?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:37 pm
by Gorbadoc
4, 1+4, 2^4, or any integer in between. You feeling lucky?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:35 pm
by Bobwich III
I prefer Animal Farm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:51 am
by Turkey_Slayer
I prefer Animal Crossing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:55 am
by ScarLet Leviathan
harveymudd wrote:Alright, this raven fellow hates himself as much as a crab in a craw house. This is good.

Your next step is to drink yourself into oblivion. God I love my fucking advice. Maybe I could moonlight as the devil.


What if oblivion doesnt come fast enough?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:58 am
by Dr.Mellifluous
Fetynal.