Warcraft 3 remake incoming

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Warcraft 3 remake incoming

Postby BloodPrince » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:22 am

Does this mean we all come back now?
BloodPrince

Re: Warcraft 3 remake incoming

Postby Myth » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:42 am

Checking in.
Myth

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:19 pm

lmao. sup.

but wasn't that rumor a couple months old, and then it turned out to be just that big patch? Anything new now?
Nein, nein, nein! Do not be so little! When I say answer it, I mean respond to it, to Them.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby BloodPrince » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:35 pm

RageAgainstVoid wrote:lmao. sup.

but wasn't that rumor a couple months old, and then it turned out to be just that big patch? Anything new now?

Yeah, Blizzcon today.

Warcraft 3: Reforged
BloodPrince

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:00 pm

okay, that is some crazy fucking shit, yo.

Nein, nein, nein! Do not be so little! When I say answer it, I mean respond to it, to Them.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby yale_homo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:50 pm

Reporting for Booty.

If this means we are all coming back, BRING IT ON. Daddy works for a living now.
yale_homo

Postby o » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:10 pm

lol it's funny how many people had the same thought of checking in here.
o

Postby BloodPrince » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:13 pm

o wrote:lol it's funny how many people had the same thought of checking in here.

your last post was 3 years ago, mine was 6 - right when i started playing league of legends.

edit: I now realize that we had a Drayven long before League had their Drayven.
Last edited by BloodPrince on Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BloodPrince

Postby Zeuter » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:18 pm

:D
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Zeuter » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:38 pm

simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby yale_homo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:47 pm

BloodPrince wrote:
o wrote:lol it's funny how many people had the same thought of checking in here.

your last post was 3 years ago, mine was 6 - right when i started playing league of legends.

edit: I now realize that we had a Drayven long before League had their Drayven.

I'm now in my mid 30s and by what most people consider "objective" measures of success, doing pretty well.
Playing TOB with this group of people (and somewhat EOTA with this group and Shortling thrown in) was by far the most enjoyable, systematic influence in my life. I would pay greatly to have more time with this group of folks in games like we used to play.
I have so many wonderful memories...

Like the time KCL dropped three mAge towers instead of knights because ABOMS. Like the absurd forum post about the DOTT squad (was that Zeut?) Using hoist on Dray's malf, casting crabs and trapping him, and then watching him die at lvl 3, then typing "PRAWND" in all chat. Any game where Julez got sylv. (Her micro was maphacks....). Bitching about, and contributing to, tides of consumables. Pluck yew. Vault smashes. 6 rings on blood mage. Honestly.....really miss them good times. And all of you.
yale_homo

Postby BloodPrince » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:15 pm

yale_homo wrote:I'm now in my mid 30s and by what most people consider "objective" measures of success, doing pretty well.
Playing TOB with this group of people (and somewhat EOTA with this group and Shortling thrown in) was by far the most enjoyable, systematic influence in my life. I would pay greatly to have more time with this group of folks in games like we used to play.
I have so many wonderful memories...

Like the time KCL dropped three mAge towers instead of knights because ABOMS. Like the absurd forum post about the DOTT squad (was that Zeut?) Using hoist on Dray's malf, casting crabs and trapping him, and then watching him die at lvl 3, then typing "PRAWND" in all chat. Any game where Julez got sylv. (Her micro was maphacks....). Bitching about, and contributing to, tides of consumables. Pluck yew. Vault smashes. 6 rings on blood mage. Honestly.....really miss them good times. And all of you.

honestly, same. It's been a long time since I was the annoying fuck on this game. I'm 29 now, moved from my state to canada, wrapping up my adv degree. But those days were the best. I've been reminiscing about it since the announcement. It was so long ago and honestly, this could have been league or dota if things were even a little different.

edit: thinking about too yale, where I grew up was all white bread suburbia. without some of my early online groups I wouldn't have any exposure to any diversity until after university. you were probably the first gay person I had any interaction with

I remember being absolutely floored by Jascinthe's art for the moon mage and infernal scarab. Never found out what RBM stood for. I found a lot of music and anime from here too, I think mostly from Cass. I think it was Baruberry? Pulsating vagina definitely, introduced me to my favorite game breath of fire 3. Shit was a long time ago.
BloodPrince

Postby yale_homo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:16 pm

BloodPrince wrote:you were probably the first gay person I had any interaction with

:D :) :twisted: :roll: :king: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:
yale_homo

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:44 pm

A problem right now is that the forum's broken for a long time, no new accounts can be created. So old-timers from 10 years ago better still know their pass or have their old e-mail.

I have no idea how this remaster will behave with old mods/maps. With War3, even if the game logic would stay compatible, which I don't know,
we got the issue that many better maps had custom textures/models, which would look out of place now with all the new high quality assets,
and re-doing all that shit to the new standard would be costly, to say the least.

Aside the fact that Cass is a freaking director of a high tech security company now, learned advanced coding environments,
(hahaha, can you imagine, the dark net thug who "couldn't tell his ass from a function" when starting out doing maps.)
and god knows what would bring him back to wrangle with any version of War3 now.

But I'd say no matter what, no matter how, we make something happen, guys, some cuddly come together.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:10 am

owners of Warcraft 3: Reforged will be able to play against owners of the original Warcraft 3

oh wow... hrrrrm... that's a good sign for compatibility, but I do still wonder if that's only about vanilla play, or if that also covers custom maps. Exciting stuff anyway.

Man, it's crazy how much production effort they put into this. It sure is a weird market situation as well for that kinda game at this point, hard to estimate how that plays out.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Ryzel » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:05 am

Came back for the hype!
Ryzel

Postby o » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:46 am

ToB blew my mind when I was like 14. When I first saw the custom character textures I had to find out how people did it. That lead me to this forum where I posted horrible hero ideas and terrible textures. I was an extremely immature ass and probably bothered a lot of people. Well if it wasn't for ToB I wouldn't be working at Blizzard for the last 7 years as an artist. I owe a lot to this little game.
o

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:33 am

Fun times! :mrgreen:

If you got time to burn, Grubby did a live stream playtest of this remaster, you can watch the recorded version here.

From what I hear, importing and running old maps should well be possible.
You can also switch between old graphics and new graphics in this remaster, kinda like with the Starcraft1 remaster.
That would somewhat address the problem with the existing library of community created content.

The old WC3Campaigns community seems pretty dead nowadays, but in the Hive Workshop they are discussing this.
- Same engine as classic WC3, current engine upgraded (confirmed),
- On Battle.Net Launcher (confirmed),
- Crossplay between Reforged and Classic (confirmed),
- In options, you can choose to play with old graphics (confirmed),
- Classic mods compatible on Reforged (confirmed),
- Reforged includes ROC & TFT campaigns (confirmed),
- "Skins" and cosmetics, Paladin can be either Arthas, Uther, Arthas /w Frostmourne... (confirmed)
- Released in 2019 (confirmed),
- Founding of Durotar "revamp" (confirmed) and probably more (not confirmed),
- New editor can import old maps (confirmed),
- Old map will load HD models (confirmed),
- Animated trees (confirmed and seen),
- Frozen Throne getting remastered as well (confirmed),
- Audio will be upgraded, in every language Classic had and even more (re-recording with the same old actors) (confirmed),
- Old audio will still be in the game (confirmed),
- Achievements system (confirmed),
- New editor will be an improved version of the current editor (confirmed),
- Melee gameplay *mostly* unaffected (confirmed),
- New races ("Can't comment."),
- Balancing will continue to happen post-Reforged (confirmed),
- System requirement can't be said yet, due to the game still being in dev. (confirmed),
- No subtitle / textbox in cinematic-mode ?
- Inventory size being looked at (more than 6) (confirmed),
- Old cheat codes work (confirmed).
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:06 am

Huh, Blizz getting a lot of negativity now, most of all for their newly announced mobile version of Diablo.
They get like 99% downvotes on youtube, hundreds of thousands. Blizz desperately trying to delete comments and votes to damage control the situation, which of course doesn't work.
Personally I'm not sure why people get so worked up. I mean it's not my thing either, but why so negative? I guess people are disappointed because they expected more content for the PC versions of the games, maybe a fully fledged War4 or D4 rather than remake/mobile, or something entirely new. Anyway, despite the nerd rage, the mobile thing should end up doing well.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:03 am

I mean these. People are getting so upset and cranky about it, to a point I find weird.

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:02 am

Anyway, here some throwback to good ol' ToB, in all its low poly glory. Man, still looks freakin badass, yes sir.

At this poly count, since you are forced to bake most of the geometric detail into the texture, you have more leeway strongly changing a model's character just by swapping the texture, which is cool for modding.
There's probably still plenty you can do by just textures now, but I think modelling skill becomes much more important with the Reforged edition, to the point you might as well do entirely new models from scratch for new characters.
However, the talent pool of skilled modelers with 3dmax/Maya/Blender should be a lot higher today than it was 15 years ago. Plenty of contractors too if you got some spare money.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:28 am

Classic games was started to preserve these iconic Blizzard games.
It was a natural progression to move to Warcraft III after their work on Starcraft.
It was hard to keep the remaster under wraps because of the updates that were happening to the original game.
It is not unfair to say that the art of the original game does not hold up as well as the gameplay has. This is why the graphics are getting updated.
They originally went with a more cartoony look for the new graphics, but it seemed too much like a lot of other games.
The team looked to the Mists of Pandaria cinematic as a base for what orcs and humans should look like in Warcraft III: Reforged.
The same engine is being used for Warcraft III: Reforged as the original game with some minor tweaks.
The tools used to create the new art will also be available to the community with the world editor.
The community is what has primarily kept this game alive and the team wants to give back for that.
The team has learned a lot of lessons from other RTS games they have made and can use these lessons in Warcraft III: Reforged.
The team wants the locations you know from World of Warcraft to be better showcased and look more like they do in WoW for this remaster.
The team has been trying to roll out a lot of quality of life improvements for the current game to prepare for the remaster. This includes patching and lag issues.
The team wanted to get rid of limitations that no longer pose an issue in modern gaming.
Opening Port 6112 to play custom games will no longer be a thing!
Warcraft III: Reforged will be added to the Battle.net Launcher.
At the end of the day, this is an evolution of Warcraft III. The graphics that you see are actually being added on top of the existing engine.
World of Warcraft's engine is based off of Warcraft III. The team took the changes and lessons that WoW has had with its engine and incorporated it into Warcraft III: Reforged.
All of the animations and attack swings are from the original engine.
The team doesn't want to break apart the original community and so are trying to keep the game anchored to the original.
The team can add a lot more personality to the game with new infrastructure as long as the core gameplay stays the same.
The artists are slightly constrained by the old game's animations.
All of the maps created over the years on the original game need to be able to load up in Warcraft III: Reforged with the new art assets.
The team wanted to lift up the lesser used heroes to reach the power of ones like the Demon Hunter.
The team has communicated with competitive players all over to address the changes that have been made to the game.
The team wants to continue to communicate with the community to build the game in a way that pleases players.
They have taken modern gaming steps to get the game released faster.
They have partnered and hired people from the community to make sure the game stays true to the original.
The UI is decoupled to allow the map makers to customize the UI in a way that they could not in the past.
The team wants to have as many created maps to work with the new editor from day 1 of release.
If maps take advantage of bugs or are broken they will be addressed.
They will release the tools that they use and guides on how to use them.
The original graphics and audio will still be available and can be used on command if you desire.
The original SD models and textures will also look much better.
There will be functionality to merge your current account into Battle.net to keep your win records and achievements.
The team doesn't want to tell you how to play the game. This is your game!
The team wants to improve the join functionality. There is a possibility you will be able to que as a group of 2 and matched with 2 strangers for a 4 v 4.
The focus right now is getting the existing game right, but there is potential for new stories and campaigns in the future.
They moved Arthas's entrance to the Culling of Stratholme to the southern entrance to showcase the familiarity to the WoW dungeon version from Wrath of the Lich King.
The community needs to work together to teach new players about the game.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Moose » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:42 pm

Aw shit.
Moose

Postby Fledermaus » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:56 pm

hi
ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:40 am

STILL WAITING FOR THE NEW NIGHTELF MODELS!!! HOW DARE THEY NEGLECT THIS FAN SERVICE! I AM SO ANGRY I WILL WRITE HATE MAIL!
RageAgainstVoid

Next

Return to The Fast and the Spurious