Hi babes

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi babes

Postby Zeuter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:41 pm

I'll be road tripping through Cali late Feb through mid March. Anyone care to meet up for a beer?
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Re: Hi babes

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:19 am

oh that's cool. Have a good time, man.
Nein, nein, nein! Do not be so little! When I say answer it, I mean respond to it, to Them.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby Cassiel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:26 pm

Let me know if you make it down to Newport Beach.
Cassiel

Postby Zeuter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:55 am

I'll probably be there around the 15-19th of March, I'll PM my phone details.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Zeuter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:48 pm

Any recommendations for areas to stay in? City’s big.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Zeuter » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:17 pm

I’m leaving tomorrow and Cass won’t respond! Shameful.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:33 pm

Busy life is busy.

It's so cool you're doing this, man. Adventure time!
Nein, nein, nein! Do not be so little! When I say answer it, I mean respond to it, to Them.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Cassiel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:50 pm

Aw damn. In my defense, you responded over a month later! My bad though, been busy traveling around for work and haven't kept an eye on the site.
Cassiel

Postby Zeuter » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:28 am

Welp, I'll be back in a month, we got an interview with YC. :?
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Good to know you haven't been murdered by some crazy. =p

What kind of interview? For a job? Planning on staying in the US for good?
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Zeuter » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:10 pm

It's a startup accelerator that Cass indubitably hates, because startups are scams for most parties involved.
If you get in, you're in a fairly good place though re: connections and career.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Sounds exciting. Give it a go, man, figure out how it works first hand. Another cool story to tell. You can try a more conservative road later, you still young enough. You give it your all while it lasts, but limit the time of commitment. Basically, either you make it work in the next two or three years, and when you hit your thirties it's time to become serious about making a decent living whatever way is most reliable. You can keep trying alternate opportunities after-hours then and see if you can still jump from being a so called "corporate drone", or keep switching work places every 2 years to see if you catch a place with cool co-workers and atmosphere. You got options man, you figure this out.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Cassiel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:00 pm

I have nothing against YC. Been posting to HN for 7 years, actually. Pg is overrated, but I don't think he has much direct involvement at this point, and even if he did, overrated != bad. If you're still doing games, though, I'd consider their (YC's) inroads carefully before giving up equity. The closest thing to a successful gaming company they've had is Mino Monsters, last I checked. Actually I don't know that they've had any real success in general since ye olde days of Dropbox and Airbnb.
Cassiel

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:08 am

Can you tell me more about this? I can only guess YC means that Y-Combinator you were mentioning once, but I haven't looked more into it ever since. What is HN and Pg?
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Zeuter » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:57 am

HN = hacker news
PG = paul graham

We dismantled our games company over 2 years ago. Instead I gathered a team for doing AI in agriculture.
California is a major agricultural hub so the location is nice too.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Cassiel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:42 am

Well shit, we should've talked sooner. Data science is still my jam. I don't have connections at YC, but I do at Greylock, Battery, etc. Relocated to Newport for a director gig overseeing data science at a security company heavy on ML. Send me your play when you've got it together.
Cassiel

Postby Zeuter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:58 pm

Sweet, I'll message you when we're ready. I rolled into this during going back to university for a MSc. in CS (actually valuable in Europe), taking mainly data science courses and teaching myself deep learning over the summer.
Would you care to skype? We're dealing with super interesting problems, but our strategy is a bit turbid, I could use some feedback.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:01 pm

Some time ago, I was taking an interest in a sort of indie scene for Farming, which is generally called Micro Farm or Urban Farm. It seems quite a big trend right now, in that people are trying to get serious about farming in their little backyard garden. They do this either to become more self-sufficient in their own food, or even make a small business from selling the produce, enough to pay the bills. It's a very interesting scene, and there is a lot of knowledge in there. They have to come up with new methods, because they must be much more efficient and high intensity than even industry, to make it work. Now what may be interesting for you is, how to make the scaling work. A method that works reasonably well in one kind of scale, sometimes does not work well in another. What is typically done in industrial mass production often does not work so well on ultra small space farming. So how about the other way around, improving efficiency of big farms, by taking lessons from micro farms. After all, if you can have 5 times more produce on 5 times less space, like the Micro Farms often manage to accomplish, then you'd figure these lessons would also benefit big farms. However, once again, the high intensity care of micro farms is not necessarily effective on a 100 acre space, because the workload may not scale linearly but exponentially. However, what happens if you factor in automation/AI/robotics which basically offer unlimited work force. It changes the game. You can have a huge land micro managed as if it were a micro farm, so many practices from that scene might apply. Well, I don't really know. But maybe take a look into that scene. Maybe there is some inspiration in it for you. It could also be an alternative market for your product, because these guys also are always looking for cool new little gadgets to become more productive. Just search for "Micro Farm" on Youtube to get started. Many of those videos have several hundred thousand views, so you know large interest is there. A lot of that knowledge could also benefit people in poorer countries with limited means.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Zeuter » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:22 pm

RageAgainstVoid wrote:After all, if you can have 5 times more produce on 5 times less space, like the Micro Farms often manage to accomplish, then you'd figure these lessons would also benefit big farms.

Sounds like the average number Dutch greenhouses hit, 15-35x less water, 20x more production per unit of area. See this article.
I don't see why you'd want to decentralize climate control and water management though, smaller systems are much more unstable.

Also, what you're talking about already exists, from the above article:
From his perch 10 feet above the ground, he’s monitoring two drones—a driverless tractor roaming the fields and a quadcopter in the air—that provide detailed readings on soil chemistry, water content, nutrients, and growth, measuring the progress of every plant down to the individual potato. Van den Borne’s production numbers testify to the power of this “precision farming,” as it’s known. The global average yield of potatoes per acre is about nine tons. Van den Borne’s fields reliably produce more than 20.

The nearby future of agriculture is looking pretty wild.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Cassiel » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Zeuter wrote:Sweet, I'll message you when we're ready. I rolled into this during going back to university for a MSc. in CS (actually valuable in Europe), taking mainly data science courses and teaching myself deep learning over the summer.
Would you care to skype? We're dealing with super interesting problems, but our strategy is a bit turbid, I could use some feedback.

How about WhatsApp? You're UTC+1?
Cassiel

Postby Zeuter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:05 am

Sure, you have my number. UTC+2.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Return to The Fast and the Spurious