sup

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: sup

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:24 am

Jesus. Earthquakes and tsunamis rocking New Zealand again. How's Fled doing?
Wut ohne Ziel. Wut ohne Folgen.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:05 am

Living on the Pacific's Ring of Fire. Totally metal, man.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Fledermaus » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:17 am

I'm fine, bit shaken up (no pun intended). We'll see what the damage is like today.
ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:36 am

Here some reality escape:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Gotta love visionary space opera.

Hrrrrmmm. Live action Ghost in the Shell. Gotta love cyber punk. Not sure about GitS though. It's hit and miss.

Looks alright. All that psychodelic reality warping existential stuff, eh. Still gotta watch Doctor Strange.

Man, do I look forward to the Cyberpunk rpg that the Witcher guys are cooking up.

Speaking of RPGs...

Make your will law, Fate Binder!

Gawd, I love this kinda tricky language and socio philosophic cheekiness. Old games and movies had this clever stuff more often. It could be as simple as the Material Defender in the Descent shooter. A simple term or slogan that totally sucked me into it. And go as high as the factions in Alpha Centauri. Brilliant. But there's been some good upticks lately with the classic rpg revival. Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numerana. Haven't played any yet though.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:54 am

uh, that crap doesn't exactly have uplifting vibes though, huh. ;)

Tell you a secret sauce. I noticed when I need some upliftin, watching some random bullshit Anime Music Video clip often works like a charm. I don't know why. is magic.

Butch lesbian prison escape! If only the gay officer in command wouldn't slap them into submission!

What's this?! Ass bounce wrestle your boobilicious opponent in tight swim suits for serious sports.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:21 am

woah, woah, woah, what's going on here! Looks like our club house also got a bit shaken up.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Fledermaus » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:06 pm

Looks like you've got some competition as well!
ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus

Postby windigo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:13 am

Yeah, I got an overdue bill on the server and found out they were charging me hella money because it was running some ancient version of PHP. So I upgraded it but it pretty much broke everything. Frankly, I'm surprised I got it working again after the failed updates.

I'm going to try again upgrading to phpBB 3.1 and if then probably have to hack the nosebleed theme back on if it doesn't exist.

I deleted the spam bots and disabled registration - there might be some admin settings that are all fucked up, I had to pretty much wipe stuff to get it working. If you notice anything broken, go ahead and fix it :D

See you guys in 8 years. :wink:
windigo
Site Admin

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:27 am

@Fled
Oh noes! I hate competition! Shut em down! Shut em down!

@Windigo
Thank you. for everything.

I find it very hard to justify any further expense and effort at this point.
My continued activity here is ridiculous, and so is anyone still visiting.

No one's life depends on this. It just so happens to continue. If for whatever reason you still want to keep this up, I'm fine with pretty much whatever compromise.
Pick the setup and theme you like and is most convenient. If I were to make a suggestion, it's adapting the embedded youtube for a more contemporary viewing standard.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby windigo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:15 pm

The cost will be very low once I adjust the plan. The problem was the provider bumped up the cost over time and put surcharge for old php version. It was around 30$ / mo which is nuts. I'll probably be able to knock it down to like 5$. Won't hurt me any to leave it up.
windigo
Site Admin

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:23 am

Okidoky.

I'm a bit surprised how much I like that live action GitS trailer really...

Tried to remember some cool fantasy sci-fi trailers I also liked. I liked the one for Chronicles of Riddick from 2004. The actual movie not so much. The first Pitch Black before that was cool though.

RageAgainstVoid

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Send help.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:07 pm

Too late.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Cassiel » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:48 pm

$30/month? Fucking Christ.
Cassiel

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:38 pm

Directed by Martin Scorsese, based on the Japanese novel by Shusaku Endo from 1966:

my god. looks intense.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Zeuter » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:34 pm

Didn't quit grad school yet. It's a going to be a 2 year period of drudgery, misery and having mostly unenlightening conversations with other students.
Still make it a habit to grab coffee with people after each class.
I missed over half of the lectures, studied for 3 days for an exam covering 2 months of machine learning, and aced it. There just isn't much to it anymore.

Though I do realise that I should just purely make it into a period of networking and working on my own projects, it's frustrating. It's so, so frustrating.
I can't properly work on other things without an office. My peers aren't ambitious/smart/experienced enough. I'm too old for this shit.

(whydontyouquit->personalreasons)
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:18 am

By that same notion, I haven't quit life yet. But yeah, I can just imagine how nauseating and miserable school is.

You know what champs say: "If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room."

But quitting is only a real option if you got another plan. It's like when people have this awesome job offer, or their absolute dream project going, and school just slows them down, so they choose one over the other.
Alternatively, they may not know yet, but feel super adventurous, and go on a crazy world tour. Whatever it is, something needs to happen, you gotta make your time worth, a decision that's good for story telling.

If nothing else, it's going balls-out over-achievement. Consider the junk they give you in school the barest minimum, just first couple pointers. You gotta get mad and work through all the literature that not even they know. Forget networking. forget people. I mean, be nice, but face it, if you're really looking for something smart there's only books. Books are what people pour the best of themselves in. When you get tired of books and being smart, that's the moment people are for then. or any other stupid shit. to blast your brains out. Then back on books. And if it's not books, it's project practice. play, practice, play practice. Show and share. Find a place, find a way. And seriously check what kinda meetings and clubs your city offers. you might be surprised. You gotta hunt those cool people down if there is any.

Now stop reading my crap, go on Youtube and search for every speech of Les Brown. And every day you listen to one until you believe it. And then whatever it is you need to do, you. can. do.

RageAgainstVoid

Postby Cassiel » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:58 pm

Zeuter wrote:I missed over half of the lectures, studied for 3 days for an exam covering 2 months of machine learning, and aced it. There just isn't much to it anymore.

Academic training in this area appears to be worthless in practice. I work with a machine learning Ph.D. from Stanford and have had to coach him on the most basic things. For example we have a pretty standard SGD SVM + random kitchen sinks classifier in one product, and I asked him to apply Platt scaling to calibrate the posterior probabilities. Rookie shit. After a few hours I check in and he's stuck because the test model he trained returns 100% confidence in the same class every time. A few seconds looking at the code shows he hasn't scaled the features ... and it's not that he forgot. Oh no, that would be forgivable. It's that he, a machine learning Ph.D. from Stanford, doesn't already know that you need to scale features for an SVM, and has no intuition about why such a thing might be prudent for an SVM as opposed to, say, decision trees. Oy.
Cassiel

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:38 am

The title did get him the job though, right. Now he can start the real learning while getting paid good money for it. ain't that clever...
That's the thing. That's why I'm never quite sure who's the real fool, them or I. That's why I can't quite bring myself talking people out of it.

From my understanding, the logic of the graduation titles for industry employment is more like:
"That person proved able to learn things, and has the knowledge base to learn more".

Ideally, school and university would be about learning how to become knowledgeable and skillful in a subject matter.
School should teach you how to use a book. University should teach you how to use a library.
That is how to methodically work with information, rather than casually skim through whatever.
To come to your own conclusions, accomplish a goal, generate new knowledge,
as an independent person with critical judgment, able to take responsibility,
capable to get your things done and effectively grow your skills a life long.
In short, how to step up your game play into maturity without supervision.

But it seems, the lesson most students take home is, How to please your teacher, and how to get around the system.
So yeah, I see that all the time, too: People coming from all kinds of engineering, and often you wonder what are they doing there at school.

Here's where it goes wrong, It is the simple matter of life that there is this huge spectrum of ability, not only across society at large, but even among peers. Usually, people look at the official qualification and say, oh that guy has a PhD and the other doesn't, so that's that, one knows his stuff, and the other doesn't. But even among two guys with each a PhD, there's this huge difference in skill. Two people having been to the same school, one exceptionally bright, the other dull. There can be many factors for why that is, and people always want try fix that. But whether that is even possible or not, in the end it just comes down to that somehow one person is highly motivated in doing the craft, never much reliant on external factors, you don't have to persuade or coerce him, he's always hungry, always looking for more action, always taking charge, far beyond what is required. The other guy is a drag. Always having excuses, always a reason, for not being able to do more. If anything, doing the minimum of what he can get away with to pass. Rather spending time networking with people, partying, family, games, whatever. Okay fine. Maybe that's good too. But of course, falling short of hands-on work, the outcomes will be vastly different. This cannot be fixed. No system ever will. This is life. This is the last barrier of inequality. One person wants it, the other doesn't. One person gets ahead, the other doesn't. And so selection occurs. According to priorities and performance. Born from self direction. Not even the best school can teach and test everything. Basically it teaches nothing, since the real learning happens when you do it, when you work with it. School just provides basic coaching. But it's all on you, what you make out of it, how far you go with it. No one else can do this for you. Prepare yourself for life after school.

It starts even before university. One kid burning for the subject matter even at high school. Having it for hobby. Playing and fooling around with it for years. Having a dream. Later going into study with already a good basis.
And the other ones don't really know what they want. Never really did anything. Waiting if maybe university's gonna get them into it. Both kind of persons sitting in the same class then, getting the "same" degree.
You know what they do at sports university? You have to do a fitness test before you even qualify, regardless school degree. If you can't make a single pull-up, just because they didn't teach you that in school, you're out.

And just looking from the official credentials, you as an employer see the same title and can't know the difference. All that makes the difference is actual samples of work showcasing concrete ability. That is, it's all the personal projects that matter most, your portfolio. And if that's the case, anything else becomes insignificant. Just as it is for artists. Engineers should be treated like you would an artist. How do you choose an artist? who ever gives a damn about an artist's diploma? You look at what they draw. You tell them to draw something for you. You want to be a professional engineer? Where's your demos? Where's your sources? Where's the documentation?

But having said all that, when I look at the indie scene, a lot of folks sneering at the system, trash talking education, and you look at what they're doing, and maybe they shoulda gone to school. Because they're conflating these things, the virtues of academia, being organized, methodical, literate, informed... with the institutional structures of academia, and refuse it all at once. And wonder why they never move forward. And that's the problem on advice. When they are not motivated, dropping out of school won't help them either. It's probably making it worse. You need a drive. You need to know what drives you. Most people have no drive. But then, nothing matters. The question of what is good education, nothing matters if you haven't figured what drives you.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:58 am

RageAgainstVoid

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Who do I pay to make this website not look like shit?
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Fledermaus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:57 pm

A mobile theme would be nice too
ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus

Postby Stexe » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:12 pm

Not up to much. Just remembered this site now that Dota 2 just hit 7.00 and they actually made real changes to the game. Was so stagnate and boring so I have been playing LoL for a while. Not much else going on. Was wondering what the original ToB designers were up to... any game dev stuff or you guys out of that?
§†è×é is God
Stexe

Location: near Philadelphia, PA, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe

Postby Cassiel » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:33 pm

Not sure about windigo but I haven't done any in years.
Cassiel

Postby Stexe » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:23 am

Cassiel wrote:Not sure about windigo but I haven't done any in years.

That's a shame. You should get back into it. Tons of tools available now that make it so much easier. I've been doing a lot of GameJams and been trying to break into the game industry for a few years now. Lots of frustration but lots of fun and learning and creating cool stuff. Right now I'm working on a social deduction board game similar to "Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game" if you've ever heard or played that.
§†è×é is God
Stexe

Location: near Philadelphia, PA, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe

PreviousNext

Return to The Fast and the Spurious