Overwatch

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Overwatch

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:32 pm

So Blizzard is making a FPS now, called Overwatch. That news is somewhere between WTF? and Finally!

The gameplay vids look fun actually. And of course it's a "TF2 clone"... that's what's so amusing most about it: Blizzard says to Valve: "oh you think you can jump on our Dota like that? alright then... now we're jumping on your TeamFortress in return." hahahaha... well played Bliz, well played.

It also is a nice way of sidestepping the whole Moba clusterfuck fiasco, with character driven online fps. The one thing that's strange about it, normally Bliz would move in on a game type that's too raw yet, and make it theirs with an unprecedented polish, that's what sets them apart. It felt like it needed to be done on this merit alone, a new standard of quality set to genre.

But now it doesn't quite feel like that anymore. They are appropriating the already pretty much perfected/polished formula of someone else, and coat it with their own branding of things. It's true for both, the card game and this shooter. So the question stands that normally shouldn't: what makes it better and different than TF really? why make it? It looks good but it doesn't feel more polished than TF2 on first glimpse. How can it? That's really weird coming from Blizzard. Now it looks more like an Activision market share grab than creatively reasonable.

A key design accomplishment of TF2 was turning Class into Character, exceptionally well for pure online shooter. What Bliz seems to go for is a bigger rooster roster of characters to start with, and maybe eventually Moba style/size? in many ways it may take lessons from Moba space. So this might be the sufficient creative reason after all, the further Dota-fication of fps, that would be their push, concentrating on tactical timing of character abilities over twitch reaction skills of player. We'll see what they do with the maps.
Wut ohne Ziel. Wut ohne Folgen.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Re: Overwatch

Postby o » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:01 pm

It's similar to TF2 but plays completely different. It appears the plan is to have a large cast of characters instead of the static roster that TF2 had. The addition of different movement abilities makes each character feel pretty unique.

It's worth trying.
o

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:06 am

Yeah, it's readily apparent that it worked from TF's design base for starters, but it's not required to be fundamentally totally different to be more than just another clone.

It's strange, some of the movement abilities kinda remind me of NS too!

But hey, every shooter is just a Doom clone anyway right? :lol:

I can't throw too many stones at this, seeing as I'm kinda sitting in a glasshouse... Minecraft and all. :mrgreen:

On a funny anecdote, that Pharah vid made me giggle, if you know what I mean. Not sure if the humour is totally intentional, but when she says, "I will protect the innocent!", and then run&guns down that bazaar, randomly blowing up booths with a rocket launcher, and later "justice rains from above!" and does this spray&pray area barrage... lmao.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RibbuM » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:27 am

This is the first Blizzard game I actually want to try since the early days of Wow.
RibbuM
BIGGEST YANKEES FAN EVER
BIGGEST YANKEES FAN EVER

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:23 pm

Strangely true. Considering our backround here, you'd expect that we'd be most excited about HeroesOfTheStorm, and yet I too am more enthusiastic about Overwatch.

Something I also hope Bliz can deliver on above TF2 is the whole platform thing, from matchmaking, competitive organization, balanced game. Altogether just a bit more serious than TF2. They have quite some experience and infrastructure in the whole package of things by now, and that is where I expect a lot of polish above others to happen eventually.

Another thing that cracks me up is that ultimate move of that Hanzo guy. When he talks dramatic asian mumbo-jumbo and shoots that ridiculous dragon spirit thing, that looks like a gigantic rendering error and clips through walls. lol. it's great. =p got mods flavour. =D
RageAgainstVoid

Return to The Fast and the Spurious