Smite

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Smite

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:03 am

Anyone here playing it? I'm having a shit load more fun with it than I expected.
Nooneyouknow

Re: Smite

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:34 pm

From a trailer glimpse, that shoulder cam, direct controls and aiming makes it look more intense than usual. And it also has a power meter thing?
Alert and oriented.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:53 pm

RageAgainstVoid wrote:From a trailer glimpse, that shoulder cam, direct controls and aiming makes it look more intense than usual. And it also has a power meter thing?

Depends on the character. Most characters are just Health and Mana, but some have additional meters, charges, combo points, etc.
Nooneyouknow

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:20 pm

I think it looks good. I were more likely to give it a shot than most other chunk out there.

Also, after seeing how bad this genre is at designing good original heroes, I'm almost glad they at least went with tried&true stock mythology.

Makes me wonder though, discussing design in general, how much individualization of systems/resources towards single heroes or classes is a good idea really. If it gets too complicated, is it tied in enough with the hero's theme to make natural sense still, etc.

For example, I'm not sure about how in D3 the "mana" is something different for everyone, if that's actually meaningful more than an universal system that specializes parameters.

How do you feel about that when playing?
Alert and oriented.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:07 am

I played in the beta, and it was pretty fun. I think they did a great job with the perspective change. The characters actually seemed fresh and I liked the map layouts. I think I was driven away from the game because I thought they were embracing the LoL monetization system.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Turkey_Slayer wrote:I played in the beta, and it was pretty fun. I think they did a great job with the perspective change. The characters actually seemed fresh and I liked the map layouts. I think I was driven away from the game because I thought they were embracing the LoL monetization system.

It's "technically" in beta for another 2 months still. The set up is very close to Leagues I think sadly, but the era of F@P is upon us, so that's going to be much more common. Until beta ends there's a $30 buy everything option, but that's only if you're willing to give Hi-Rez money.
RageAgainstVoid wrote:I think it looks good. I were more likely to give it a shot than most other chunk out there.

Also, after seeing how bad this genre is at designing good original heroes, I'm almost glad they at least went with tried&true stock mythology.

Makes me wonder though, discussing design in general, how much individualization of systems/resources towards single heroes or classes is a good idea really. If it gets too complicated, is it tied in enough with the hero's theme to make natural sense still, etc.

For example, I'm not sure about how in D3 the "mana" is something different for everyone, if that's actually meaningful more than an universal system that specializes parameters.

How do you feel about that when playing?

The only time I really even pay attention to individualized resource systems is if one doesn't work. I also see little point in having resource management when the primary restrictor is cooldowns, but it seems no one else agrees with that.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Deacon (AYC) » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:21 pm

$30 buy everything option was the only thing HoN ever did right, and really shows the difference between a F2P game and a P2W game. I think something like Smite would fall under F2P technically, because the only restriction is heroes??? (afaik there is no bs like runes, just cosmetics).

People who want to promote a F2P model really need to go along that route because it's more attractive. HoN had the market locked with that sort of shit, but S2's terrible management ran that game into the ground.

I mean, sure, it can still fall under P2W because you are disadvantaged by not being able to select from the whole range of characters, but it is far less of a distance than say LoL's 'f2p' system.
HOSK CLAN: CLAN HOSK
Deacon (AYC)

Postby Nooneyouknow » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:32 am

Deacon (AYC) wrote:$30 buy everything option was the only thing HoN ever did right, and really shows the difference between a F2P game and a P2W game. I think something like Smite would fall under F2P technically, because the only restriction is heroes??? (afaik there is no bs like runes, just cosmetics).

People who want to promote a F2P model really need to go along that route because it's more attractive. HoN had the market locked with that sort of shit, but S2's terrible management ran that game into the ground.

I mean, sure, it can still fall under P2W because you are disadvantaged by not being able to select from the whole range of characters, but it is far less of a distance than say LoL's 'f2p' system.

Smite also allows you to rent gods on a per game basis for 1/55th of what they cost to unlock permanently.
Nooneyouknow

Return to The Fast and the Spurious