Heroes of the Storm

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Heroes of the Storm

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:22 am

Hrrm, but if I were to think of another benefit of what Bliz is doing this way, it would be making the various maps more distinct, in gameplay tied thematically, more focused on difference, more packed in that, by minimizing the necessity for common strategic entities on map, like item shops, that inflate needed space, and same-ify the play from what else makes a map unique -- if there really is enough of that on its own, that's key to whether this is good or bad, how much effort is put into the maps, otherwise having a stronger foundational strategic substance tying it all together is better.

It's a bit of a give or take in my eyes. I can't see the removal of items as a pure advantage only, that it would be an irresistible progression of the genre at large; it's more like a different emphasis, another branch that may turn out good on its own, all things considered. A game does not and should not want to be everything, so if they remove items, they'll lose some good things on one hand, but maybe make all the better on other elements along losing some bad, so it's not necessarily missed, but fun for what it is. That is to be seen by case.

Personally though, I'm more inclined to explore a different take on itemization. I feel that we have not seen the best of it yet, and there might be some elegant solution to problems in little ways, worth testing before making more radical decisions.
Wut ohne Ziel. Wut ohne Folgen.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby busterkomo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:22 pm

wd2stewa@uwaterloo.ca

By the way, is there an editor in Heroes?
busterkomo

Postby Dragon_Blade » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:04 am

MagicCarpetRide wrote:Well, you probably dont know me but I love this game enough to still lurk here. Anyway, if its no problem I would like an invite as well. amardip.s.minhas@gmail.com

noob, you should add me on steam if you have it, it's been a while!

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198031678620/

edit: should probably add an email address as well just in case there are any more invites =) seeley16@gmail.com thanks!
Dragon_Blade

Postby Ryzel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:30 pm

mista_t@cox.net

I would love to get in on this! <3
Ryzel

Postby Stexe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:01 am

I'm in it and it is fun... a lot of things reminded me of ToB which is why I came back and was checking to see if Cassiel was working on it or something.

The talent tree is really cool and lets you change depending on your match up and current game situation. I do miss items / gold / reasons to last hit / kill creeps. But I definitely do NOT miss leveling up individual skills.

I miss the idea of breaking up the flow by needing to manage when to go back to base and get items and when to keep pushing. This game feel like a constant push fest without a lot of interesting decision trees that come from when to heal, when to buy, what to buy, etc. Still, I do think it is definitely an interesting step in a direction of improving the AoS ("MOBA") genre.
Stexe

Location: near Philadelphia, PA, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe

Postby o » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:33 pm

Apparently i need your real names... Since it is friends/family alpha haha...

hit me up with names/ email again, sorry.
o

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:19 pm

o is clearly NSA. Beware.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby smellibear » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:21 pm

Pretty sure the NSA already has all that nonsense on file somewhere in... was it Utah?
"I like you, Glorious Godfrey! You're a shallow, precious child — the Revelationist — happy with the sweeping sound of words! But I am the Revelation! The Tiger-Force at the core of all things! When you cry out in your dreams — it is Darkseid that you see!"
smellibear

Postby MagicCarpetRide » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Amardip Minhas amardip.s.minhas@gmail.com

Once again, thanks for the opportunity o. I gave up on LoL at some point and would really love an AoS that I can get behind.
MagicCarpetRide

Postby Ryzel » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:42 pm

PMed
Ryzel

Postby Fledermaus » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:04 pm

Re-PM'd!
ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus

Postby Cassiel » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Stexe wrote:But I definitely do NOT miss leveling up individual skills.

So do you just choose paths through the tree, and then the skills automatically get better instead of you allocating points to them?
Cassiel

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:25 am

Is the strength of every skill tied to the level of hero then?
And somewhere I heard that heroes don't level individually anymore but as a team?

They sure make quite a ruckus to the genre, re-investigating it from the ground up, and that's pretty great. It's almost surprising to see them so wonderfully aggressive, uncompromising and consequent, but since this is no sequel, they can -- show off what creative risks are still in them -- and they must, it's their only way of getting "back into the game" in this biz, if there is any, by clearing this garbage dump of dilettantish designs, contrived limitations and unimaginative tropes that happened to form the fundamental legacy of the genre from an era long gone.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Well, that's the positive way of spinning it.
Anything's better than what's been.
So good job on being different, try-hard. :mrgreen:

I'm a bit torn on some details, already am I missing some aspects, but then again there's hope that the grand package more than makes up for it in the end, best served this way.

Some things feel quite ToB-ish too, so you know there's something good. At long last maybe we have a better answer for fans coming back here once in a while asking, "Which of the others are the most like ToB, what can you recommend?" -- though should be too obvious now. Blizzard did its homework. They have some of the very few devs knowing that there was something else than Dota for reference, that too is to be an advantage they need, any and a lot.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby o » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Cassiel wrote:
Stexe wrote:But I definitely do NOT miss leveling up individual skills.

So do you just choose paths through the tree, and then the skills automatically get better instead of you allocating points to them?

Every X levels you get a choice between like 4 talents. The earlier choices dont really set you down any path they just augment abilities or give you some passive stat upgrades. When you reach the level where you choose your ultimate ability you then go down two paths. The paths arent really that different though, The following choice changes based on the ult you picked. Though you don't even have to upgrade the ult if you'd rather upgrade some stats.
o

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:31 pm

No items and this leveling, balancing the game for competitive play should be easier.

The genre has quite a complicated facade these days, and lots of unintuitive knowledge required, but turns out you don't have that much of a choice in practical play. It will be interesting to see if Blizz succeeds increasing the effective choice while simplifying. Or at least not further confuse you with fake complexity after you choose your hero.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Fledermaus » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Anyone in yet? Starting to believe Turkey..
ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus

Postby o » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:24 pm

I put everyone down as US region. If youre not in the US I don't know what will happen. Fled you should have an invite? At the very least you are on the "list" for the next wave of invites.
o

Postby Fledermaus » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Nah I haven't gotten anything yet, maybe it's the non-US thingy :c Although my bnet region seems to be Americas & Southeast Asia so maybe?
ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus

Postby Zeuter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:21 am

I think mine is Europe? Probably.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Ryzel » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:05 pm

Yeah I haven't got one either...ah well. I'm just glad I have connections.
Ryzel

Postby o » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:03 am

alpha wipe coming tomorrow, potentially new heroes, potentially more invites? They go in waves not daily invites as far as i know.
o

Postby Deacon (AYC) » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Alpha invite came today, thank you based O
HOSK CLAN: CLAN HOSK
Deacon (AYC)

Postby Fledermaus » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:32 pm

!!!!!! You're not in the US are you?
ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus