Your sins need to be said

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Your sins need to be said

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:17 am

Download update version 0.1q

Fixed all keys for all platforms, a possible crash and some minor issues.

Blackbox should perform the same on all platforms now.

Increased max number of cubes from 900k to 950k.

Decreased minimum movement speed,
alongside other adjustments to cam,
slightly more convenient for details.
Wut ohne Ziel. Wut ohne Folgen.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:27 pm

Download update version 0.1r

Fixed an issue in which mouse buttons in free mouse mode
would only execute function when holding button and moving mouse.

Added improved line tool preview,
with actual wireframe cubes lined instead of just a simple line;
only reverts back to simple line if line is very long with too many cubes.

Increased max number of cubes from 950 thousand to 2 million.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:56 am

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:23 am

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:36 am

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:12 pm

Yay! I can make decent videos again! My, my, it's been a while.

okay. I'll make a series of video quickies now and then showin how to have fun with the tool.

The first one is Pastebin

Note: in this video, I deactivated Smart Select with key g,
and used shift+Pick for tiles to deactivate auto-rotation on paste.
Both of which made picking and pasting easier in this situation.
I also used walk mode on key v before flying in.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:42 pm

And more Twisted fun.

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:31 am

:roll:

Great... Firefox blocked some new visitors to my site, with an insecure connection warning, Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN, because the host of my site certified SSL to only cover http://pandemonium.graphics, NOT http://www.pandemonium.graphics. But seems to be no prob anymore in either case, if you've been at least once through the correct url.

Learned of that by mere chance when using someone else's computer. Well, better now than never.

I don't actually know if and for whom else this was a problem.
Don't really understand why it took ssl into account at all, since the site is no https// nor a login query.
It's the simplest possible html site, for pete's sake! is it because of the paypal button? fuck if I ever know.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:52 am

or was just a freak accident on a weird computer? dunno. anyway... there is always something coming up.

But overall things feel okay now, I seem to have a good handle on stuff for the moment.

Still a long way from ready for prime time, though. Shit, so much to do.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:28 pm

Anyway. You know what to do. Just have more fun. On the Lifeline.

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:24 am

Download update version 0.1s

Fixed total performance breakdown on colour changes in massive scenes.
Scene updates after you're done changing colours with slider movement.

Increased max number of cubes from 2 million to 2.4 million.

Note: Blackbox is currently on greedy settings for tests.
Gaming-grade machine required, with recent drivers,
and no other expensive programs running for resources.
If these conditions are not met, you see no starting cube.
Restarting Blackbox or your computer may help clear it out,
otherwise upgrade your graphics card, with 2gb vram recommended.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:53 pm

Well, anyway. Fuck CG and VR.
Robotics / Animatronics is where it's at.

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon May 09, 2016 1:50 am

Oi Turkey, you all grown up now.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Mon May 09, 2016 1:14 pm

I'm the creepy, grumpy old man now - sick of everything except punani and Deadwood.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon May 09, 2016 10:13 pm

*hug*
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon May 09, 2016 10:44 pm

Hey, here's something for smiles: watched the Nvidea presentation of their new Pascal chips, and this hilariously awkward situation happened... you gotta watch this shit, I forwarded it on the right time marker. Now what you gotta keep in mind while watching -- and I tell you this beforehand, cuz that makes it even funnier from the start -- as you will find out, only the CEO speaking on the stage was supposed to ever open his mouth, not the backround guy, "Tom", controlling the screen, even though the atmosphere was supposed to look a bit leisure (or patronizing). And you notice how the stage guy is a little startled as things go a little too far, tries repeatedly to take control of the situation back, hoping no one notices and it settles, until there is this stand-off kinda moment, with a total meltdown drama live on stage. Ready your popcorn, this is great. After "years of research, by thousands of scientists world wide, costing billions of dollars", and it all comes down to this moment in the unveiling. Oh and the crowd was total shills so obviously, it's embarrassing. what an event, lmao. that's life at live. But that chip is gonna rock VR.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun May 15, 2016 7:07 am

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Thu May 19, 2016 5:29 am

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun May 29, 2016 12:56 pm

Been busy workin' the next update quite some. Lotsa learnin' and experimentation. It's important groundwork that later features will depend on. The immediate advantage being, that active mini cams no longer have a performance cost, not a relevant one anyway. Up to the last version, it fully rendered all camera views each frame anew. Now each camera has its own custom frame buffer on gpu, that it renders to off-screen, and for as long as there's no changes to the model, it doesn't need to re-render, but just copies its last render result over to the main screen buffer. Even when you draw in late game, it spreads out the render load of all the cam updates such that you don't notice. The final image is a composition of all kinds of frame buffers. This also eliminates screen tearing, as the final frame on your screen is just a couple simple textured quads. (Yes, I render to texture actually. Can render a scene and apply it as a texture to something else. it's crazy shit to play with.) This performance gain in managing frames is even much more important later on, when the GUI is full of views on various models, from tile palette, to animation sequence, to layers, to workspaces, altogether dozens of cams active, but no slowdown.

Also done auto detection of currently available free memory in video ram. So it adapts to your system, and runs on pretty much anything now. Kinda embarrassing I didn't have that before, but manual video ram management been kinda awkward, since drivers do their best to shield you off from that. The policy been, "You don't need to know, the driver knows best". Well, drivers are a piece of shit, and I damn well need to know. So glad that the newest developments in graphics further de-emphasize the importance of drivers, and give you more manual in-depth control on PC. Always been jealous of consoles in that regard. Can't believe it took PCs so long, all the while treating all their graphics coders like n00bs, basically.

Anyway, gotta iron out some stuff, and then we got another milestone to build on.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue May 31, 2016 1:36 pm

The maybe most important advice I can give to beginning coders is Visualization.

Visualization. Visualization. Visualization. And then maybe some "Audibilization".

Always think about how you can produce data about what your code does, and how to present it with impact, to better understand what's happening. I can't quite stress enough how much that helped me.

It also makes even a dry topic entertaining.

Here's an example with sorting algos. Sorting and searching are your bread and butter. You want to be able to compare them, how they work on which kind of scenario. Different algos can situationally be more or less efficient. Even a bubble sort that's supposedly among the worst has a best usecase. So you need to understand them. Here it sorts an array of random numbers by size, each of which shown by vertical length of line:

And to extend that thought: people don't draw enough their planning before coding. You must first properly understand the problem you want to solve, and a lot of that is done best without any code.

Artists would often ask you "Where is your pencil sketches?" that you should have done beforehand to whatever else you do, be it painting, pixeling or modeling. And technicians should ask the same "Where is your pen&paper work?" Because most people doing code, don't do enough of that, and that shows, in weaker code where it matters most.

I had some difficult discussions with artists a while ago, about the role of tools and means of exercise, in which I felt necessitated to argue a bit the other way around than what I usually do. This sometimes happens, when I feel that even though a position is true, it becomes less true the more stubborn you stand on it.

So depending on how a debate goes, at one time you will find me talk about the importance of generalization:
RAV wrote:It is good to know more than one language/engine/platform and pick each as fits best to a project, or suits your progression. With each one learned you learn the next faster, since you recognize universal patterns of game making and just get used to some new details. It's like with art: you see a huge difference in the first pixel art between someone who has been drawing and painting for a couple years before, and someone for whom it is the very first piece of art at all.

RAV wrote:It's "compiler versus interpreter" / "binary versus script", but for a computer scientist / professional engineer there is only programming on either. The brunt of the work is about the math and algorithm independent from any one language of implementation; the difference utility. A script language is not just a weaker programming language, it has programmatical strengths of its own. For this reason, a script might as well outgun the usual binary in power and competence; it really depends who's doing it for what.

in another, about the merits of specialization:
RAV wrote:I do very much recommend people to make most use of higher programming languages, engines and frameworks, especially with quick focus study on algorithms and math. But I also tell them, when they make their particular choice on something for a project, know exactly why you picked that, and make use to the fullest extend of what it can offer. Don't pick C if you have no ambition and need in memory management, else it will just annoy you. But whatever it is you pick even on high level, you must learn to interpret your general computer science through specific application, and to master this kind of negotiation between levels, to become one to greatest effect, requires much dedication and experience as well. And every language will make its darn best to convince you, why it's so much better and different than anything else, maybe it really isn't, but hopefully it will at least attempt to develop itself to a depth of interesting concepts, that very much qualify and challenge everything else you know.

and the need for a balanced diet in your food for thought:
RAV wrote:When I see a line of proper high level code, I see much more in it, because I know what actually happens down on the low. And this realization, consciously and sub-consciously, heavily impacts many decisions on the higher levels. Many of my high level decisions would be much poorer without. It is often actually pretty severe, in how it influences radical architecture design, choice of algorithms and math. Because just as art draws from visual reality, coding has to deal with the reality of hardware, even if we like to forget that these days. For me there is no clear cut border between low level and high level, that it would be these two entirely different worlds of thinking modes, divided by the vacuum of space, and you should stay on the warmer and brighter one, 90% of your time.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:50 pm

Man, Overwatch is really taking off. Looks pretty damn great.
It was their most risky move, and may as well pay off most.
Now everything seems to fall into the right place for Blizz.

Anyone tried it? wish I could. What's your opinion?
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:03 am

My imaginary friends.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby busterkomo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:25 pm

Cassiel thinks there isn't enough character.
busterkomo

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:17 pm

Ah, well, to be honest, I like the characters of TF2 better actually. I still greatly enjoy their intro vids. I gotta hand it to Valve, with TF2 and Portal, somehow they still manage to maintain that indie-like "risky" and "odd" charm that makes things interesting. Compared to that, Overwatch looks a bit bland and washed. It works though, it's well crafted and marketed, so it works for Blizzard. But it leaves me not really feelin' it. It's like the narrators in their cinematics, rarely works for me.

While we're on that topic, this narration works for me:

It's not totally original either, or what, but somehow it lands without falling on its mouth.
It carries that trailer, instead of ruining it, as it happens too often sadly.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:13 am

Download update version 0.1t

Upgraded window system: stage 2.
Virtualized windowing on gpu,
for better resource management
by cascaded Framebuffer system,
through rendering to texture.

Fixed screen tearing when moving through busy scenes.

Fixed occasional wild jumping window when moving it.

Fixed key c reacting only to release.

Reduced greatly the runtime cost of the mini cameras.
You can easily use them all even in complex scenes.
Takes less battery on Laptops, from idle to run.

Improved overall smoothness of operations
and behaviour in video capture.

Added controls for transparent graphical user interface.
alt + F9 to toggle backround of palette menu bar.
alt + F11 to toggle backround of cams menu bar.

Added controls for mass cam modification:
ctrl + tab to toggle grid for all mini cams.
ctrl + shift + tab to include main cam.
ctrl + b to reset all mini cams.
ctrl + shift + b to include main cam.

Added adaptive memory allocation.
Currently available vram is detected,
and max number of cubes set accordingly.
It ranges from 300 thousand to 6 million.

If the last version didn't work for you,
there is a good chance it does now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a couple things I couldn't test, so if anyone here can, that would be great.

I need people with a beefy graphics card, with at least 4gb vram, ideally you'd have 8.

For Nvidea users, I need confirmation that you can reach the cube limit without crashing.
Just start plastering cubes until nothing goes, you know how to multiply shit quickly, right.

For AMD/ATI users, I need confirmation that the vram detection works to begin with.
If it doesn't, it will assume the minimum value, which should be noticeably less cubes than the last version.
RageAgainstVoid

PreviousNext

Return to The Fast and the Spurious