Okay, so, that one patch is a little short of people's expectations.
Specific Changes & Improvements
- Throw away that old PowerPC Mac in the closet, we’ve created a new installer to support Mac 10.10 and 10.11
- Improved compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
- Fixed a crash caused by Chain Lightning
But the good news is, this is supposed to be just the first of many updates.
At least these issues they say they know, so I suppose they plan to fix soon:
- Windows 8.1 and 10 saved games are still stored in a location that requires running as system admin
- Some graphical issues with the cinematics are still occurring
- Changes to gamma settings will not take effect in windowed mode
- Cyrillic characters are still not displaying
- Disabled ambient sound while a MIDI issue is being resolved
- Mac 10.9 and earlier are not supported
- Mac build does not support the editor
and then they also say this:
Please be aware that while we are working on a balance change and new map pool, that work is still in progress and is not part of this patch. We’ll have further details on that as development progresses.
Sounds nice, and there's hope for more. No word on proper widescreen support. I really hope they address that. Along with more counter measures to hacks maybe.
Just from the sound of it all, starting to roll, how they're building up that Classic Games support department, it sounds promising, more than fair enough for such an old game.
It's stuff like this why Blizzard games are easily worth their money.
They make you feel really good being a fan/customer. By valuing their own work.
And of course, kudos to their business sense, realizing and seizing this open opportunity.
Also keeping an eye on their image/brands/relations long-term. Good for them.
So there you go, it starts slow, but a little praise for once anyway, it's due.
Wut ohne Ziel. Wut ohne Folgen.