Your sins need to be said

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Your sins need to be said

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:19 am

Blizzard got a team for legacy support, and they're doing updates for Diablo2 and Warcraft3, mainly to make it run properly on Win10 and OSX. But it seems they've also been doing some upgrades other than that.

Blizzard Classic Games lead Robert Bridenbecker made the announcement in a YouTube video posted today by Back2Warcraft. The video is themed around the Chinese version of Warcraft III, but Bridenbecker explains that the update, 1.27, will be released around the world on March 15.

"Thank you very much for your support over the past decade, playing Warcraft III," he said. "Over the past few months, you may have noticed we have introduced a new battle platform. It's introduced features like matchmaking [and] the ability to communicate with your friends at a level that is unparalleled to anything we have done with Warcraft III in the market before. And on top of that, we're proud to announce that on March 15, the next patch for Warcraft III will be available in the market, simultaneously with the rest of the globe."

At this point, Blizzard isn't saying what's included in the patch. Back2Warcraft suggests in this follow-up video that the patch may include balance tweaks, but this is not confirmed.

It seems War3 is still pretty popular with the Chinese, so that's why they are specifically addressing that, that's what makes it still actually relevant, would you believe. Maybe part of that is that it has so low requirements on computers. But also, come to think of it, there currently is no good Fantasy RTS I know of. There is nothing quite like War3 right now, unless you count the Dota derivates as its natural successor, but I don't know. RTS is all Sci-fi now. And on top of that, I guess War3 still goes well with the WoW train.

I've been just looking some vids on war3, first time in forever, and bloody hell, War3 still looks so good after all this time! Damn, I suddenly feel a strong gaming itch...

One thing that irks me a lot though, do they ever fix it for widescreen support?
it usually just stretches shit to hell, doesn't it?
Wut ohne Ziel. Wut ohne Folgen.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby Fledermaus » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:49 pm

Yeah... This is the supposed patch notes

Not sure how much I believe it though...
Preload should have been fixed years ago since it can be used to write binaries... Widgetizer specific fix sounds odd to me... And 64mb maps? How could you even use that much space?

I think both patches are mostly just compatibility and wide-screen though?
ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:54 am

Cool. we'll find out very soon.

Hrrm, ya know. There was a time, way back, on Blizzard's transition from War3 to WoW, when I was disappointed with Bliz in a lot of ways, and a harsh critic. But in the recent few years, I must admit... boy, did they turn it around. I mean, who's perfect, right, but when I look at their line up today, they're doing a lot of things very well now. Impressive stuff.

There's a couple problems we could talk about, but for the most part, it may just come down more to wanting something different than that it's inherently wrong.

The transition in mapping/modding from War3 to Starcraft2, while a vast improvement on paper, the way things played out, all considered, it didn't turn out quite so well. Not all of that is their own fault, but the new constellation on the gaming market, and maybe if you take those factors into account, it might be doing okay even, considering what you could realistically expect in that situation. Hrrm.

One of these problems is, though I don't know how things improved since LegacyOfTheVoid, that it's all around a bit too, uhh, "sophisticated". It's not just a matter of tool design strictly, but the kind of standard that you have to live up to when creating all new content. The kind of people that are able to do that, are not very likely to confine themselves to SC2 now. It sits between worlds, too difficult for amateurs, too restrictive for semi-professionals.

War3 still seems to sit in a neat sweet spot, in all its low-poly comic glory, and the community made tool environment. It's more that, from a usability / platform / connectivity point of view, it was behind what people expect nowadays. If that's somewhat fixed a little at least, it just keeps on chugging along.

And that's basically why I chose the route I've been going. How I see it, the way to really improve upon War3, from a hobbyist creative point of view, is a sort of regression into pixel/voxel art. There's some trade-offs in advantages, actually, but I think overall it still turns out a much better deal for that purpose, than pursuing industry standard. Hrrm, anyway, time will tell.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:19 pm

Okay, so, that one patch is a little short of people's expectations.

Specific Changes & Improvements
- Throw away that old PowerPC Mac in the closet, we’ve created a new installer to support Mac 10.10 and 10.11
- Improved compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
- Fixed a crash caused by Chain Lightning

But the good news is, this is supposed to be just the first of many updates.

At least these issues they say they know, so I suppose they plan to fix soon:
Known Issues
- Windows 8.1 and 10 saved games are still stored in a location that requires running as system admin
- Some graphical issues with the cinematics are still occurring
- Changes to gamma settings will not take effect in windowed mode
- Cyrillic characters are still not displaying
- Disabled ambient sound while a MIDI issue is being resolved
- Mac 10.9 and earlier are not supported
- Mac build does not support the editor

and then they also say this:

Please be aware that while we are working on a balance change and new map pool, that work is still in progress and is not part of this patch. We’ll have further details on that as development progresses.

Sounds nice, and there's hope for more. No word on proper widescreen support. I really hope they address that. Along with more counter measures to hacks maybe.

Just from the sound of it all, starting to roll, how they're building up that Classic Games support department, it sounds promising, more than fair enough for such an old game.

It's stuff like this why Blizzard games are easily worth their money.
They make you feel really good being a fan/customer. By valuing their own work.
And of course, kudos to their business sense, realizing and seizing this open opportunity.
Also keeping an eye on their image/brands/relations long-term. Good for them.

So there you go, it starts slow, but a little praise for once anyway, it's due.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:49 pm

That Crota guy still does decent shoutcasts on recent War3 matches.
Was fun for me to watch some these past couple days.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:09 am

Meanwhile Valve is going back to try making Mods paid content for Dota2.

This video looks at it more critical, but I can't really say if it's all that bad. Difficult probably.

Not having paid marketplace for maps/mods may have been what's holding back higher quality SC2 custom games. But also, you can see how communities already took measures to solve these problems by themselves, via Paypal/Patreon/Kickstarters. It's more that game host developers try and get in on the rev share by offering built-in solutions. But maybe that also does increase overall revenue for everyone. People are conditioned into DLC anyway these days. And having a viable income by whatever means is the only real way to foster an ambitious mod scene that's competitive with the indie scene. We gotta differentiate between simple modifications of the main game, or the highly successful total conversion mods of the past, that just had little to no alternatives.

Not totally sure if SC2's custom games scene is only held back by development though, or the mentality of the playerbase preferring to play standard game. Who would hold back whom. I think custom games were also more popular in War3, because that game often appeared more broken in vanilla, and the ladder or coop system not comprehensive enough, while the custom game scene often made War3 into a simply better game. But SC2 may have just stroke the chord that makes it work well enough, people may be just less interested in custom maps. Also, the Battlenet award system has people hooked more on standard as well, I guess. And if they don't play SC2, they play HotS. Or whatever.

Well, that's what we gotta see, who attracts whom, what potential is there still in mods, will getting more serious about mods make the difference? And how serious can you really get on the current state of mod tools for a target platform.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:21 am

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:21 am

But man, the introduction of Bnet 2.0 did fuck up the custom games scene hard.
It's hilarious how much better War3's much simpler online system was.
I mean, how long did it take them to catch up to that again?

Had they just done a straight conversion, instead of trying to use SC2 to push through their undeveloped master network, things could have gone a lot different. It had a real chance taking some of the wind out of LoL's sails. SC1 was a good game too, but what carried it for so long in the West was the custom games first. By betting so concentrated on competitive sports, they lost it so hard, because they lost sight on what most people consider actually fun to do themselves. Now look at LoL & co. Many former Bliz fans, once trying LoL, they couldn't go back to playing regular Bliz RTS. Too many people migrated through that window. LoL is even so much more popular in Korea now, as mainstream game and e-sports. Because that's how it really works, after you got the experience right for most others, then comes the interest in the advanced play of sports. You gotta keep regular people immersed to your environment.

Anyway, things are different now. With the brand new games and fixes to their previous, they've done so much right again. I'm curious to see how it goes from here this late.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:03 am

Sony announced the price for their own VR. 399$ for the headset alone.
That price in combo with the cheap PS4 running it has the best chance for greater adoption.
Quality is below Oculus, of course, but still decent, I heard.
The best application of seated look-around VR I've seen is driving/flight sims.
They also sell it in a bundle with those crazy glowsticks for input, so it's not totally seated only.

One thing that still irks me about VR is the cables. They really need to get rid of that shit asap.
That's the one thing that those phone based VR solutions have above the dedicated ones.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:23 am

Oh, and... :mrgreen:

The future! ... :lol:
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:57 pm

Virtual Desktop screen:
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:25 pm

I wonder if classic RTS is becoming a sort of niche genre, comparatively. It does seem to me that Dota style somewhat cannibalized on that target audience. And big companies like to go with the most popular play styles. When you look at view counts on sport casts, SC2 is usually far behind the LoL&co nowadays. And even in actual play, there is the question why does competitive matchmaking seem more appealing to people in games like LoL rather than SC2.

When I remember War3, most people I knew always felt rather uncomfortable about 1on1 ladder games. It didn't seem so much fun but stressful and panicky. However, the larger the games, the bigger the teams, 2on2, 3on3, 4on4, the more enjoyable it would become for a lot of people. Now with Dota, starting at 5on5 upwards, it seems cool enough that suddenly even competitive matchmaking is appealing to a lot of people. I guess it has something to do with how gaming is also a social experience, not just a posed problem itself. And the "social security" of larger teams better excuses individual mistakes in play, and allow more crazy experimentation. May even be about evolutionary psychology in how team play is more attractive. And how well the Dota mechanic plays along other popular mechanics from RPGs.

And so I wonder where RTS will go from here in response. Going more strategic, less micro intense? Maybe the revival of better base building? Or will they introduce more Dota elements, or various alternate game modes similar to it for online play. Will they try to differentiate, or to incorporate? Maybe they could branch off into other popular genres even, like integrating with world building/simulation, in search for exciting new strategic features? How will they be able to stay relevant, instead of more and more obscure and financially insignificant, ala Point&Click Adventures.

So the question is, should RTS try the run for success through sports, in a hope to still get their cut of the market? Or leave that to these new genres? Is being a sport the only way to become popular and profitable? I think there are many games that aren't a professional sport, yet still big.

Or am I "overreacting"? Hrrrm.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:59 pm

Download update version 0.1o

Fixed performance breakdown after picking a Tile with large amount of cubes.

Fixed recurring issue with the new Pick while in capslock.

Fixed crash on close.

Reduced aggressiveness of Input Interpolation upon drawing.

Added marker graphic on picked tile.

whenever your current selection leaves
the area you Picked, a marker shows
the location you will copy&paste.

Added Rotation.

Copy&Paste now auto-rotates tile.

This depends on:
The side you were picking the tile at,
and the side you are pasting to.

This is useful for both,
intuitively painting tiles on different walls,
and rotating a tile on the same spot.

Holding key Shift while Picking a tile,
deactivates auto-rotation for that tile upon paste.
The sides of picking and pasting then don't matter.

This feature plays to an advantage in workflow of 3d.
You can reduce the minimum amount of tiles required for a full set,
and greatly enhance visual variety at little to no extra work.
Further takes advantage in fractal mass construction methods.

More manual rotation and flipping come later.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:53 pm

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:45 am

Download update version 0.1p

Fixed crash when trying to copy&paste in some odd situations.

Fixed various problems when changing side of same selection.

Adjusted behaviour of the visual Marker for tiles.

Added manual rotation and Flipping:

When holding key Alt, the movement keys w, a, s, d, q, e
flip and rotate the currently selected side of cube or tile.

ALT + q, e: counter-clockwise and clockwise side rotation.
ALT + w, a, s, d: Flipping of side, up, left, down, right.

Use this to further adjust the normal auto-rotation of pasting.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:54 pm

That's a super sweet version. A game changer, new level of fun, and very productive.

This seamless ease of the tile handling makes a real difference to what is Pixel Art.

It becomes quite the brain tease in the emphasis of puzzle placement and combinatory logic.

And here you see the fundamental principles of Blackbox hugely pay off. Yet just starting.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:04 pm

I'll be able to fix my computer next week. That will mark an important event for development.

Break another barrier holding back the tool, I'll lift the hardware standard a lil' more.

Prolly will whip up some new videos showing off all those snazzy features in action.

Want to give some examples on intended use and good practice.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:47 am

Btw, the platform it's running best currently is Win7.
As I just found out, hotkeys still not fully fixed on Win10,
and also not on the latest version of Ubuntu Wine I tried on.

What's more, the Steam Hardware survey says there are
as many Win10 users as Win7 users, both about 35%.
While there are about 15% Win8 users, sinking...

I guess that did the free upgrade campaign or whatever.
Not that I would know how it runs on 8 anyway, never tested.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:16 pm

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:12 am

Assumed you already seen that one, but just in case:

Is all cute, until you realize the military is funding this.

Just like with the internet! But in the end, love (porn) wins!

Virtual reality is just to tide us over until they figured sex robots.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:03 am

Automated 3d emulation of the original NES games:

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:59 pm

Alright. cheapo computer up and running again. whew. /PcMasterRace

Put a little ssd in there as well. First timer. and yeah, it's a life changer.

The thing sparks my curiosity. Gonna do some experiments on files.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:02 am

Holy cow, they're doin' a Doctor Strange marvel movie next.

Cumberbatch, fuck yeah.

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:34 pm

RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:05 am