I think we finally managed to code

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: I think we finally managed to die

Postby Fledermaus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:49 pm

I have a few guides saved. Not yours thought, not sure I ever read it either :c

Contains:
  • Dark Ranger - Gorbadoc
  • Kevin-Sorbo's Introductory Guide to the Shoe Lace
  • Miyamoto Musashi - NaturalAffinity
  • Pirate - Mengde
  • Porphyria - OniBarubary
  • Scion of the Storm - Gardengnome
  • The Shadow Hunter - TheBoogieMan
  • Warlock - akarat
Attachments
Hero Guides.zip
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 109 times
ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:24 pm

Hahaha, damn it! Zeut! Sparked curiousity for pointless endeavor.

Fully functional Labrats mapped to the surface of a 3d wave:

Earlier Keys wrote:Mouse near edge of window to scroll
Mousewheel: Zoom
Esc: Exit
Pos1: Remake all maps
End: turn off bots and heatmap, but keep map
F1 - F12: Select map to run around in.
Arrow Keys: Run around in selected map.
You're Little Violet, the bots Balls Blue. If they catch your ass you're fucked and it remakes selected map.

Additional Keys:
Hold right mouse button and move mouse to rotate.
Press Enter to toggle wave on/off.

I specialized rendering for this, so hilariously it even runs alot better than the flat version before.
Attachments
Labrats2.zip
(16.84 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Nein, nein, nein! Do not be so little! When I say answer it, I mean respond to it, to Them.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby Cassiel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Ryzel wrote:NS2 has HUGE potential, but it's not done yet and too obscure. Tribes is pretty fun, but even though it has plenty of strategic facets to its game play they may be overshadowed too heavily for some of us by the intense FPS-ness of it.

On that note, I've become a C# ninja for work and am currently getting into Unity. The only thing slowing me down is that a) all the default code is in UnityScript and b) interop between the three languages the engine allows sucks because you have to organize your code into separate compilation passes. So I'm rewriting everything in C# and hope to have a single-player prototype of the gravity-shifting FPS by the end of the year.

Ryzel wrote:DayZ has huge server overflow problems and is more about survival without a clearly defined goal, not really what we're looking for. I am SUPER stoked for Guild Wars 2, with not having to grind levels for PvP (automatically bumps you to max level when you're in a PvP setting) and clear, expansive PvP objectives for teams of us with specific classes, strengths, and weaknesses to accomplish; but it's an MMO so that's an immediate turn off for a bunch of you.

I haven't heard about any server issues, but DayZ is a total sandbox. The original Guild Wars was decent, if clunky. My problem with MMOs is subscription fees and grindfests, but Guild Wars eliminates both those problems so no issue there. Windigo was a big fan of the original as well.
Cassiel

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:01 am

MaKing.

:king:
Nein, nein, nein! Do not be so little! When I say answer it, I mean respond to it, to Them.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:14 am

And wtf... did the .exe.zip file ending confuse win7 for any of you? Saw someone having that problem, or was that a fluke? Re-uploaded as just .zip for sure, but oh lawl.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:38 am

On debug I feel like a fucking Whyking.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:45 am

And if you think my forum spam is annoying, you should see my console error spam.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:16 am

Epic mix of Sisyphus, Tantalus and Prometheus.
RageAgainstVoid

Re: I think we finally managed to code

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:02 am

Uh oh, thread got in race condition. But to my excuse I got drunk. DIGIDRUNK, BITCHES.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Zeuter » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:22 pm

Drunk on digital love.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:56 am

To my great shame though I must admit.. I'm an anonymous analogic.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Cassiel wrote: So I'm rewriting everything in C# and hope to have a single-player prototype of the gravity-shifting FPS by the end of the year.

Keep us updated, hoss.

I'm a 1337 coder myself. Last spring break I managed to make a totally rad calculator that can add, subtract, and give the answer with a fuckton of expletives.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Zeuter » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:56 pm

After working with C++, C# feels like a soft, smooth, cool pillow in the middle of a horrible heatwave.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Cassiel » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Right up until you hit P/Invoke. Then it's just a prettier version of C++ again. I actually love C/C++ though, minus the proliferation of "string" types and the typedef spaghetti code most folks write.

The main things I don't like about C# are 1) the token enforcement of pure OOP (token because in practice a static class is no different than a namespace, so forcing everything into classes is pointless), 2) the mix-n-match of garbage collection and manual memory management (using statements, IDisposable, etc.), and 3) access modifiers (even though you can easily circumvent them with reflection). You still have pointers if you want them, whether it's with ref/out or fixed() blocks, and there are lots of other cool knickknacks. Also lambdas are the best thing ever, particularly for threading. Actually, here's an example of the awesomeness of lambdas combined with the annoyingness of access modifiers:

http://codepad.org/Tt9uYUpg

This is the job pump from a tool I wrote for our QA team. We have a bunch of servers running a few thousand Windows VMs each, and managing them all has traditionally been basically impossible. The gist of the tool is that it lets users interact with the VMs on a massive scale. For performance reasons, there's a little ticker they can use to set the max number of VMs that can actively run a job at any given time. Each job/VM needs its own thread, so this thing has threads and lambdas coming out of its ass. Which would be fine, except that reading the value from the ticker is not thread safe, and thanks to access modifiers, cannot easily be made thread safe. But for the most part, C# is awesome.
Cassiel

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:34 am

The fuck do you do, Cass?
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Cassiel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Over the next few weeks I'm transitioning into the role of jet-setting Product Manager for an InfoSec company. They hired me nine months ago as a Technical Writer, but I came in and took over all their marketing writing and a decent chunk of engineering on top of that. They gave me a choice of becoming an engineer or managing all our products while being flown around the world; I picked the latter. If you can code, the world is your fucking oyster.
Cassiel

Postby Zeuter » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:36 am

That is, if you still have some auxiliary skills. Coding itself will get you an income, but it won't get you particularly far by itself.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:14 am

Sounds pretty baller, Cass. All that flying time should allow you do some work on that game, too.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Cassiel » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Zeuter wrote:That is, if you still have some auxiliary skills. Coding itself will get you an income, but it won't get you particularly far by itself.

If you're willing to relocate within striking distance of Silicon Valley, pure coding will get you six figures easy. As in, that's the starting range for kids fresh out of university. Or you can take a job at (or found) a startup at a relatively "low" amount, say $60-80K a year, and take equity instead. Your startup will probably fail, but if it succeeds you'll be a super millionaire.

Turkey_Slayer wrote:Sounds pretty baller, Cass.

Maybe. I could end up hating all the travel. Point is, I still think grad school is a massive waste of time and Myth is a big dummy =p.
Cassiel

Postby Zeuter » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:03 pm

That's a rather substantial if. That is, for anyone who is not a US citizen it would require a myriad of auxiliary skills not commonly found in coders.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:00 pm

Zeuter wrote:That's a rather substantial if. That is, for anyone who is not a US citizen it would require a myriad of auxiliary skills not commonly found in coders.

Yeah, like washing yourself and going outside. Hate that shit. If only tying shoes wasn't so complicated.

Hey Cass, on your ways to Paris and Tokyo, when the stewardess is eating the oysters in your lap while you sip on crystal champaign, make sure you feel terribly ashamed of yourself: "Oh no, what am I doing with my life! I should have rather sat in a dark rathole crunch-timing on videogames and be payed in insults. -- Oh Miss, I think you missed some of me, would you kindly.. aahh yeeesss, thank you."
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Nooneyouknow » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:20 pm

And to think, my largest ambition in life was to find the line of work that required the least actual time invested during the year. Pretty sure I succeeded though, since I have 7 and a half months off annually.
Nooneyouknow

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:07 pm

Nooneyouknow wrote:And to think, my largest ambition in life was to find the line of work that required the least actual time invested during the year.

Exactly my thinking. When getting a job you like is not an option, doing it as little is the only option. This goes hand in hand with reducing your daily needs and costs. Usually I can live comfortably on what 400$ buys you. I always look for ways to optimize this even further, as a general rule, the more I grow, the less I need, simply because I'm more myself. There are downsides to that too, but there is a downside to everything you do, there is always an opportunity cost. Which downside you prefer is personal. I go very pragmatic about this though, if I happen to have more resources I gladly use them in line of my life, just that I don't put my life on wrong line for more resources than I really need. Let me add the distinction between "job" and "work", since even a hobby can feel exhausting at times. I'm pretty ambitious about the things I do, just that they don't get me money nor prestige. However, when someone is happy about what he does as job, all benefits included, then lucky him, especially if it's someone I like.

Nooneyouknow wrote:Pretty sure I succeeded though, since I have 7 and a half months off annually.
Excellent achievement, especially if you can keep this up. For me this varies, although my personal costs are pretty much fixed and very low, there come times of increased burden, and I live in flow with that.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:31 am

Cassiel wrote:Maybe. I could end up hating all the travel. Point is, I still think grad school is a massive waste of time and Myth is a big dummy =p.

Welp, I'm gonna be wasting a lot of time here soon anyway.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Kaz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 am

My ambition is to find something I'm not completely apathetic about.
Kaz

PreviousNext

Return to The Fast and the Spurious