I think we finally managed to code

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

I think we finally managed to code

Postby Zeuter » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:34 pm

After 10 years! I think I'll show myself Smalltalk.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Re: I think we finally managed to die

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:41 pm

C'mon man, Prolog is right around the corner.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Tirion » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:52 pm

/salute
Tirion

Postby Mengde » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:28 pm

I still check builds once a day. Never know when gonna hit Gits.
I know the pieces fit, 'cause I watched them tumble down.
No fault, none to blame; it doesn't mean I don't desire
To point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over
To bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication.
Mengde

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:32 pm

I haven't had much to say lately that wasn't writing game related. I'm not surprised the TV/Movie thread died down.
Nooneyouknow

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:18 am

We null pointer dereferenced so many times, collectively and individually, I lost count. It just comes as it goes. Alright. Other places might be more lively, yet also somehow more boring. Not to mention disgusting. I have more fun rereading old threads here than new ones elsewhere.

We're a bunch of very unlikely people I like. Our common was a game.
And we don't just need any game. We need our game. The game.
That we can only make. That only we can make. For our sake. As it was.

Directly or indirectly, we all had a part in ToB somehow. It formed us, it belonged to us, it was personal. This game was made in the best interest of us, it served no other purpose than to benefit us, in a very fundamental way. We cannot find this experience anywhere else. It's all just not good enough, it's no good for us.

Our game is our only saviour. In the second coming. But it's something we have to do, not look for.
Nein, nein, nein! Do not be so little! When I say answer it, I mean respond to it, to Them.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby Drayven » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:23 pm

It was a good runtime environment, thanks for the memory allocation.
Drayven

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Are we in Debug mode now?
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:21 pm

Turkey_Slayer wrote:Are we in Disney mode now?

I never know what mode we're in after Rav compiled.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Vladimer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Blah Buffer overflow.
[4:54] <NMNFTU> I'm tired of women
[4:54] <Mell> YES
Vladimer

Postby Zeuter » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:03 am

Drayven wrote:It was a good runtime environment, thanks for the memory allocation.

simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:46 am

Haven't had much coding time left this year. Last week I bought one of those dirt cheap AMD C60 Fusion netbooks, fine hardware to increase my creative mobility and find more pockets of time on the road to code. Hopefully. When my dayjob is physically demanding, all I want in my pause is to eat and sleep.

So I don't know how much time I gonna have to further persue that this year. Maybe depends on if anyone else is enthusiastic about the idea of having a game made in general and this one in specific. Don't want to work myself sick though. Can't afford that. The more toyish and laid back, the better the chances this moves anywhere.

Like yesterday I snuck some time in, for the first time in months, babysteps to get the juice flowing again. Started research on auto-mapping and traversal. To give the various methods a hint of analytic comparability I put in a heatmap. The program is a quick prototyping platform for maps and movement and have the differences be telling. Not many tests in yet, but a good start I guess.

UI:
Mouse near edge of window to scroll
Mousewheel: Zoom
Esc: Exit
Pos1: Remake all maps
End: turn off bots and heatmap, but keep map
F1 - F12: Select map to run around in.
Arrow Keys: Move yourself in selected map.
You're Little Violet, the bots Balls Blue. If they catch your ass you're fucked and it remakes selected map.

I really didn't plan on posting at this time, but if it interests you, we can talk about where this can go. That or I just keep on jobbin' and foolin' 'round in silence, and you be on your merry way.

Alternatively, we all just smoke virtual pot goin round and chill to the mythical sound of cycles.
Hrrm, that would be a nice forum feature to have.
Attachments
Labrats.zip
(15.38 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Nein, nein, nein! Do not be so little! When I say answer it, I mean respond to it, to Them.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Ryzel » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:09 am

Yeah, too bad there hasn't been a central amazing API for us to all rally around anymore.
Ryzel

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:48 am

I remember when I never made a GUI until I read your GUIde and did nothing else for weeks.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Zeuter » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:46 am

Speaking of makeup, I made this last week:

(It's unwatchable when not in fullscreen).

How about mapping your game to my cloth to make the visuals pointlessly obfuscated.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:50 am

RageAgainstVoid wrote:I remember when I never made a GUI until I read your GUIde and did nothing else for weeks.

I remember that. You disconnected about halfway through every time and then we were left with a command prompt for the rest of the session.

Ryzel wrote:Yeah, too bad there hasn't been a central amazing API for us to all rally around anymore.

Yep. It could have been SC2, but they fucked it up.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Turkey_Slayer wrote:I remember that. You disconnected about halfway through every time and then we were left with a command prompt for the rest of the session.
I'm sure no one noticed a difference. But what were you doin' in Norten Commander!? Getting a cold?
Bootstrapping with you and Merlin was the last good coding I had.

Zeuter wrote:How about mapping your game to my cloth to make the visuals pointlessly obfuscated.
Good work there, it would be pointless but hilarious to render game to texture and have it map to a simulated cloth grid! That intermediate step isn't even needed though, since technically Labrats already is rendered as such grid in 3d, just not to perspective and animated. In theory it would be relatively trivial to have either program literary plug into the grid data of the other. It's just not happenin for practical reasons.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Cassiel » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Ryzel wrote:Yeah, too bad there hasn't been a central amazing game for us to all rally around anymore.

Do recent multiplayer games all just suck or what? A bunch of guys I work with have been playing DayZ, but I can't bring myself to drop 30 bones for a mod.
Cassiel

Postby o » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:59 am

wow you have to pay for that shit?
o

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:09 am

I think he means the 30 beans for Arma II. I've heard mixed things about DayZ at this point. By all accounts it was better before it got so popular.

RageAgainstVoid wrote:I'm sure no one noticed a difference. But what were you doin' on Northrend!? Getting a cold?

The games were hosted across all servers at that point. Getting a ToB game goingon any other server than Azeroth would probably take a decade or two.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:54 am

I'm feelin a bit confused about that. At the point of Ryz' guide? That's like an eternity ago, still the heydays of ToB?

I'm also very confused about the existence of Dayz. About that it became popular, as well as that it was made a mod to begin with.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:53 am

Maybe we're mixed up here. I was talking about playing ToB O with you and Merlin, in which it was long after the heydays of ToB. You still picked Inq pretty much every game, though.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Ryzel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Wow, I almost forgot I had made an Inq guide at one point. It makes me feel good to know that my guide got someone excited about Inq back when nobody would play it. I wonder if someone has that guide archived, would be neat to read it again...I'm looking at you, Zeut.

Cassiel wrote:Do recent multiplayer games all just suck or what? A bunch of guys I work with have been playing DayZ, but I can't bring myself to drop 30 bones for a mod.

I'm in the same boat. It didn't look good enough for me to drop bones on, and those kinds of games really aren't my playstyle. SC2 is well...SC2, Diablo 3 was not the gamechanger that its predecessor was, there's no consensus as to which MOBA to rally around (if any)...I just don't see any games with the kind of competitive comraderie that we were able to develop with ToB.

Now that I think about it, a good question to ask would be what was so great about ToB (and WC3) to all of you? And what games out there have you noticed to have similar qualities?

What first got me hooked was how amazing the skins and skills were compared to every other map, I felt that the heroes had a lot more personality than in other maps. Eventually I got good, and made friends with a couple people who were in a ToB clan and then got to know everyone, and that's when I started becoming invested in the game personally and it took off for me.

So I guess what I'd be looking for is the atmosphere. I want a game that pulls me in with it's depth (both game-wise and aesthetics-wise) and the atmosphere for me to bond with fellow players as we compete with other groups and get better and better. And also the chat channels or some equivalent where I can just hop on and see who's on at any given time, and either hang out and talk story or play a game.

SC2 came kind of close, but I can't get invested in mastering the zerg the same way I could as mastering the Inq; I just didn't really feel special. Maybe with more time some maps will come out that will give me hope, but they're not out now. Also, having a friends list with all your buddies on isn't quite the same as having a chat channel that all your buddies hang out in, I'm not sure why but it just doesn't feel as chummy.

LoL, Dota2 and the like are too impersonal to bond with strangers, so they're out. Diablo-esque games don't have team-based PvP, so they're out. WoW was pretty fun while it lasted and I got to have some fun times with some of you, but that ship has sailed. TF2 had it going on as well, but most of us have moved on from that too. NS2 has HUGE potential, but it's not done yet and too obscure. Tribes is pretty fun, but even though it has plenty of strategic facets to its game play they may be overshadowed too heavily for some of us by the intense FPS-ness of it. DayZ has huge server overflow problems and is more about survival without a clearly defined goal, not really what we're looking for. I am SUPER stoked for Guild Wars 2, with not having to grind levels for PvP (automatically bumps you to max level when you're in a PvP setting) and clear, expansive PvP objectives for teams of us with specific classes, strengths, and weaknesses to accomplish; but it's an MMO so that's an immediate turn off for a bunch of you.

Tl dr; iOS sux! DOS for life.
Ryzel

Postby Zeuter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:34 pm

Ryzel wrote:Wow, I almost forgot I had made an Inq guide at one point. It makes me feel good to know that my guide got someone excited about Inq back when nobody would play it. I wonder if someone has that guide archived, would be neat to read it again...I'm looking at you, Zeut.

I tried finding it, but I don't really archive that kind of stuff. The only index archive.org has is located here, and at that point the entire subforum was gone.

The thing that made ToB great to me was that it was a quality game with a small but not too small community of excellent mentally unstable individuals.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Merlin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Zeuter wrote:mentally unstable individuals.

So that's what that is. I knew something was different about this place.
Merlin

Next

Return to The Fast and the Spurious