Watch me cry on national TV

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Watch me cry on national TV

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:11 pm

TheRaven7 wrote:If you're 29, why does your dad have executor status?

Units of measurement. You must convert to dog years.
That's how that restaurant ordeal must have felt anyway.
Nein, nein, nein! Do not be so little! When I say answer it, I mean respond to it, to Them.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby windigo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:22 pm

Not sure how - but I saw this episode. I barely ever watch TV and the odds of this being on when I was sitting at the couch with my wife were pretty astronomical. Never seen the show except maybe a tiny part of one in the past.

Anyways - saw the whole thing and I think you place looks pretty sweet actually. If those problems get fixed I think you seriously have an incredible future there.
windigo
Site Admin

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Incredible like those future fund ventures. His future fond ventures. The big grill is in his control!
Nein, nein, nein! Do not be so little! When I say answer it, I mean respond to it, to Them.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby harveymudd » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:16 pm

That's the point raven he didn't. Sure I have every right to sue him but he has no money and lives with friends now or something. One of the first things a fiduciary attorney will tel you is you can't bleed a stone. Why rack up legal fees? For my own satisfaction?
harveymudd

Postby TheRaven7 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:40 am

He didn't? I guess at this point it would be mostly punitive. I hope you switched banks at least.
TheRaven7

Postby Vladimer » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Holy shit this is fucking terrible. Poor management is pretty much the stem of all of this. I haven't seen part 2 but god damn.

You definitely have to have some kind of passion to open a restaurant and beyond all else, if you have no formal education or training surround yourself with people smarter than you are in the field and work with them. Your father is a joke and honestly, your mom shouldn't be in there either. Holding meetings for menu changes and discussing why and how for changes is pretty much standard procedure...

edit: not trying to sound mean and too critical - it obviously wasn't your idea to open the restaurant. I've just been in the restaurant industry and my education is in business administration and finance. It's eye-opening.
[4:54] <NMNFTU> I'm tired of women
[4:54] <Mell> YES
Vladimer

Postby gandalf37 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Well I just watched the second part and I gotta say that it was pretty awesome how much Ramsay believed in you and you definitely had the whole expediting thing down. Do they still say "Yes Chef!" to you? lol

Obviously from your one post though the "chef Ramsay saved my relationship with my family" thing at the end didn't last which I am sorry about. Hopefully this is not out of line, cause I don't mean offense, but the way your dad acted on the show seemed almost like he has some form of dementia or something. He just seemed like the classic old guy wandering around not knowing what is happening, completely clueless.

Do you still own the restaurant?
gandalf37

Postby Cassiel » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:18 am

Yeah, I want the "Where are they now?" update.
Cassiel

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Just watched the second part. Looks like you guys were on the come up on the show, but I'm not sure if that was the true take on the matter. More importantly, I just noticed the ex-chef David Blaine turned into Foghorn Leghorn when he was threatening you.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Ryzel » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:08 pm

Dude harv...is Ramsay a fuckin' superhero or what?

It's ridiculous how that show made your father's inner motivations and cognitive processes so transparent. He seems like he's so strongly motivated to be right. He wants people to tell him he's right, and that he's doing a good job, and that's because he needs others to tell him he's right. That's why, when faced with criticism from a distance, he told himself it was all bullshit. The moment it was thrown directly in his face though, he capitulated so that he could see himself as being right again. Deep down, he doesn't have the self-confidence he needs to truly believe that his shit doesn't stink, so he uses praise from others when he can get it, and denial when he can't, to maintain his belief that he's doing well in life.

Of course, you and Wendy and apparently your mom don't seem to count as "other people" in the sense that your praise doesn't give him the self-satisfaction that he needs. It might be because he groups you and your mom with himself as opposed to "other people", and the only way to deal with Wendy is outright denial of everything she says. You really lucked out with Wendy by the way, she really seems to be exactly what your family needs, and mad props to her for sticking through the stress of it all.

I'm sorry I seem like a presumptuous prick for trying to analyze your father like that, but the reason is because I see part of myself in the way your father thinks and acts. Seeing the way he was acting, and why he was doing it, helped direct my attention to the way I think. Lately, I've directed so much mental effort into being right about every aspect of my life, because I've been insecure in myself, because I believed that I've fucked up and I never want to again. It almost brought me to tears watching the second part because I could see a part of myself in so many things your father did, and it hurt me to see how he was handling things. How trapped he is in his need to be right, to be perfect, to be the best he can be.

Your dad sure seems like damaged goods, I'm sure if I read his book I could deduce that conclusively. He's never developed appropriate methods to care for himself mentally while caring for others. But I totally believe that Ramsay was right when he said that your father's heart is in the right place.

So again, I'm sorry I've made such judgments of a personal nature, but I only do it because they affect me personally as well.

How are you guys doing now? More importantly, are you getting SWtOR or are you just waiting on GW2?
Ryzel

Postby Myth » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Finally watched Part Two. If I end up in LA next year, I will totally come in and try the burgers. I <3 lamb. And I'm sorry to hear that things might not have worked out in the long-run, but it's good to see YOU get what's rightfully yours and to see you receive the acknowledgment you deserve. /hi5 and hug

(also, I think I might just wait for GW2. I got into the TOR beta this weekend but never bothered to download it, choosing instead to spend the weekend making terrible mistakes.)
Myth

Postby Zeuter » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Finally watched part 2. What happened since the last episode?
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Previous

Return to The Fast and the Spurious