We need to find a common game again!

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

What game would you want to start playing if everyone got into it?

One of the new free-to-play MMOs on Steam
12%
WoW
No votes
Rift
4%
Starcraft II
14%
Vanguard
No votes
Diablo II
10%
League of Legends / games like it (HoN)
16%
TF2 / games like it (Left 4 Dead, Natural Selection 2)
14%
Tides of Blood!
22%
Other (please specify in post)
6%

Total votes : 49

We need to find a common game again!

Postby Ryzel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:44 pm

You can choose your 3 favorites. I miss playing with all you guys and lately I've been in a game slump. I want to find something we can all gather around again. What do you think?
Ryzel

Re: We need to find a common game again!

Postby Mengde » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:12 pm

I do very little PC gaming anymore because my laptop is a couple years old and only has half a gig of RAM. It can certainly run TFT or WoW and I doubt LoL/HoN/whatever would give it too much trouble, but the more graphically-intense shooters I just buy on the console.

I'm leery of getting back into an MMO. I'm done with school now so it's not like I'll have the same kind of workload that I have had, but still. The nice thing about AoSes is that you win eventually.

On the other hand, it would make sense to organize a given night/time to play whatever, so it would make as much sense to do raids/whatever on that given night if it is an MMO that people want. So, as long as I can justify that I'm playing with friends, I could do WoW or whatnot.

The problem with LoL/HoN for me is the same problem I have with CoD. I don't care about ranks and having to grind my Goddamn level up in multiplayer. I want to join a server, pick whatever, and have fun. I can't muster the crap to give about ranked competition and such. So I would prefer not-those.
I know the pieces fit, 'cause I watched them tumble down.
No fault, none to blame; it doesn't mean I don't desire
To point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over
To bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication.
Mengde

Postby Merlin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:30 pm

I wish you'd come play ToB with me! I'll settle for LoL or Spiral Knights, though. Are you still playing that Ryze? I got my 2 star gear, but haven't played in a few days.
Merlin

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:05 pm

I'd love to play some more ToB, but I'm never on when shit actually goes down. Spiral Knights is pretty fun yet it's not addictive enough for me to spend that much time on. Also, I selected D2 by accident because I thought it was D3.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Merlin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:14 pm

Get on tonight then, I'll start hosting in a little while.
Merlin

Postby Nooneyouknow » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:36 pm

Everyone should get GGPO and start learning Last Blade 2 and Vampire Savior >.>

Honestly, though, I don't play much other than fighters and single player RPGs these days. I doubt I'll touch another MMO of any kind until ToR, and only then because it looks enjoyable enough solo. I've just gotten sick of people not even attempting to learn to actually play anything resembling a team or co-operative game at this point.
Nooneyouknow

Postby theboogleman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:07 pm

Mengde wrote:The problem with LoL/HoN for me is the same problem I have with CoD. I don't care about ranks and having to grind my Goddamn level up in multiplayer. I want to join a server, pick whatever, and have fun. I can't muster the crap to give about ranked competition and such. So I would prefer not-those.

That's the worst reason to hate LoL. Going from level 1-30 is about the time it takes to actually be good at the game and during this team you're matched with people similar to your skill level. If you don't like the gameplay that's different though.

What is this spirtal knights?
theboogleman

Postby Cassiel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:09 pm

Bullshit. It takes forever to get to level 30 in LoL.
Cassiel

Postby gandalf37 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:34 pm

I think D2 would be fun. D3 would be better but we'll be 80 and have severe cases of carpel tunnel before that comes out.
gandalf37

Postby Merlin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Cassiel wrote:Bullshit. It takes forever to get to level 30 in LoL.

Nuh-uh, just 200-300 games of which the combined duration is only about 150 hours non-stop.
Merlin

Postby theboogleman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Cassiel wrote:Bullshit. It takes forever to get to level 30 in LoL.

It does, that's also how long it takes to be good at the game. Learn all the items and when to use them, all the champions(runes + masteries too), what are their counters and get good with several champions. Deal with it.
theboogleman

Postby Cassiel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Having to memorize the random ins and outs of a bunch of shit content is the definition of a poorly designed game.

Deal with it.
Cassiel

Postby Merlin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:13 pm

I was sort of hoping you would deal with it for us, ifyanowhatimean. :cry:
Merlin

Postby Cassiel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Seriously, that goes for Zah's fighting games too. You have to be cracked to want to memorize that much useless crap. Play Smash instead. It has more depth anyway.

Musashi wrote:You win in battles . . . by knowing the enemies' timing, and this using a timing which the enemy does not expect.
Cassiel

Postby harveymudd » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:16 pm

We could all just play a game of cards.
harveymudd

Postby Kaz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:14 am

Death to MMOs
Kaz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:12 am

Cassiel wrote:Seriously, that goes for Zah's fighting games too. You have to be cracked to want to memorize that much useless crap. Play Smash instead. It has more depth anyway.

Musashi wrote:You win in battles . . . by knowing the enemies' timing, and this using a timing which the enemy does not expect.

You play the wrong fighters. Especially since the basics of the genre apply to pretty much all of them. And since these days Smash=Brawl, uh, no, no thanks. Complete ass game. I'm going to disagree with the depth comment as well, although I don't feel like writing paragraphs on why. And, as I recall, you're favorite in the series was the original, and I already play MvC3 on a regular basis to get my fill of ToD.

I like the card game idea. Let's all pick some random ass podunk town somewhere in the US to move to, and play Magic constantly. >.>
Nooneyouknow

Postby o » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:57 am

1. Download Magic Workstation
2. Make free decks
3. Play with friends
4. ????
5. Enjoy
o

Postby theboogleman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Cassiel wrote:Having to memorize the random ins and outs of a bunch of shit content is the definition of a poorly designed game.

Deal with it.

Like I said, not like the game because of the gameplay/design is a different story, however the time to learn it is appropriate. DoTA games will always start with a steep learning curve.
theboogleman

Postby Cassiel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:05 pm

The time to learn isn't appropriate. It's supposed to be 'easy to learn, hard to master.' But most of these games are the opposite: hard to learn, but easy to master once you have. Because there's no depth to the options, just a lot of them.
Cassiel

Postby theboogleman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Yeah I remember your post a while back on Complexity vs Complicated and I completely agree with everything you say. Now I feel like playing me some ToB, bastard.
theboogleman

Postby Zeuter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:52 pm

simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Cassiel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:26 pm

theboogleman wrote:Yeah I remember your post a while back on Complexity vs Complicated and I completely agree with everything you say. Now I feel like playing me some ToB, bastard.

It's not like ToB solves that problem, though it has significantly fewer burden of knowledge issues than LoL.
Cassiel

Postby theboogleman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:39 pm

I was getting reminded of the old days which is why I felt like playing.

That is one legit picture of pix, what a hairy mofo.
theboogleman

Postby Nooneyouknow » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 pm

Cassiel wrote:The time to learn isn't appropriate. It's supposed to be 'easy to learn, hard to master.' But most of these games are the opposite: hard to learn, but easy to master once you have. Because there's no depth to the options, just a lot of them.

Which why depth is gauged on "true" options, not "false" options. Seriously though, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, any of the Marvel vs games, Garou, Vampire Savior, Last Blade, and honestly, even most of the KoF series are pretty damn easy to learn at a basic level of competency, and mastering them simply comes from match up experience, more than anything, although some of them do have a side of training mode grinding.
Nooneyouknow

Next

Return to The Fast and the Spurious