Graduation. Shieeeet.

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

How long have you been coming to ToB.com?

Too Long
37%
8+ years (is that possible?)
30%
Fuck if I know
17%
Bhekar Ro
17%

Total votes : 30

Graduation. Shieeeet.

Postby pix » Tue May 24, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm sure some of you out there are my age, like Mengde (I think?), which means we are graduating college this year. "University" for you cultured folk. Commencement is June 4 for me, and I'm currently working on finishing my senior capstone (portfolio) and closing out my other two classes. Portfolio is 137 pages and counting right now.

I'm graduating with a major in Creative Writing and a minor in Black Studies from Knox College. Gonna be pretty homeless. Planning on taking a year or more off before going to grad school, though I ultimately do wanna shoot for at least an MFA.

What are you guys planning on doing? If you're in high school and graduating to the world or college, same question. Or, if you've already graduated school, any advice on life?

I'd narrowed a while ago my possible living locales to Seattle, the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) and New Orleans, and I think (for now) I've settled on New Orleans. If I get my shit together, I'll probably head down there Julyish and see what happens.

Holy shit a new topic.
pix

Re: Graduation. Shieeeet.

Postby Cassiel » Tue May 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Nobody will have been here for 8 years until July. But yeah, too long.

And you should come to San Francisco. All of you. Because I'm bored.
Cassiel

Postby pix » Tue May 24, 2011 9:31 pm

Get me a job and I'll go anywhere. It's fucking insane that it will have been 8 years in July. I was 14. Goddamn.
pix

Postby Mengde » Tue May 24, 2011 11:33 pm

I've had my diploma in Creative Writing from Carnegie Mellon for a couple weeks now. Been on vacation ever since. I plan to get a temp job or something for the rest of 2011 and then apply to Jet in 2012 to teach English in Japan.

(grats pix)
I know the pieces fit, 'cause I watched them tumble down.
No fault, none to blame; it doesn't mean I don't desire
To point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over
To bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication.
Mengde

Postby Ryzel » Wed May 25, 2011 12:09 am

Graduated UCSB this last quarter, the actual walking ceremony is in a couple weeks. Majored in psychology, working with autism treatment as well as being a part of a committee with an education professor for the purpose of designing a new school.

And a part of the forums since v.98. Wow.

EDIT - Actually no, I think that's when I started playing. I think I joined the forums around the beginning of the lettered versions...maybe B or C.
Last edited by Ryzel on Wed May 25, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryzel

Postby Nooneyouknow » Wed May 25, 2011 12:10 am

At the apathetic rate I'm going, I might finish some or another college degree by the time I'm 60. I just can't give a fuck about much of anything for more than a few months at a time.

Cass: bleh, Bay Area. It's so close, and yet so far because of traffic.

Mengde: That was one of the many plans I was hyped up for for a bit, and ultimately ceased to care. It's still a bit tempting, though.
Nooneyouknow

Postby gandalf37 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:47 am

I graduated two years ago with a degree in Software Engineering. Went to Europe for a month with my fiance, then got a job. My only advice seems to be what most of you are doing which is take time off before going back to grad school or getting a job. That month in Europe was awesome and I would have stayed longer if I had the money to.

I have no idea when I started on the forum. I do remember I think I was in grade 10 though?? That's like eight years ago.
gandalf37

Postby Fledermaus » Wed May 25, 2011 5:05 am

ImageImageImageImage
Fledermaus

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Wed May 25, 2011 11:50 am

I have certainly been visiting this forum for far too fucking long (I was seriously around 11-12 when I first visited here), but as a young buck I won't graduate college until next year. I'm going for a psychology degree with a clinical concentration, so I'm probably going to need to go to grad school unless I want a job at McDonald's. However, my GRE scores were subpar in comparison to where I wanted them.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby Zeuter » Wed May 25, 2011 12:14 pm

30cm is "too long". 8 years is "too old".

Started off in media studies, but frustrated with never making anything, I ended up in computer science. The stuff I make now is fun, but my fellow students are not. All the stereotypes are true. It's all guys, and none of them are hot. The majority of people I've befriended so far don't even major in CS.

I have my own translation company, it provides me with some money on the side, but it's nothing impressive. Just random freelance jobs.

It'll take me a few more years to finish everything up, during which I'll travel and do nothing as much as I can. After that I intend to work for a bit and travel even more. Perhaps I'll even come visit some of you, better watch your backs.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby bdnakathelakaflammab » Wed May 25, 2011 1:36 pm

I do believe I would fall under the "Too Long" category as well. Damn, can't believe I have been coming here for 8 years, since I was thirteen. Version H was the first that got me on the forums, but I think version C? was the first one I played.

I'm on my last year of school at Tulane University in New Orleans. Chemical Engineering and Russian major, so I am hoping to get a decent enough job. If you need some New Orleans advice, hit me up. I know a decent amount about the city, and might be able to help you out. The city is definitely... unique.
bdnakathelakaflammab

Postby DAN THE SCARY VAMPIRE RAR » Wed May 25, 2011 2:51 pm

If any of you unemployed fellows are interested in a job in online advertising (we have openings across the board, no need to be a comp sci guy/gal) shoot me a PM. We just closed a big round of funding and are hiring like there's no tomorrow.
DAN THE SCARY VAMPIRE RAR

Postby Kaz » Wed May 25, 2011 4:35 pm

Where?
Kaz

Postby o » Wed May 25, 2011 5:12 pm

San Fran? I turned down a job up in San Rafael a few months back. Still waiting to hear back from Blizzard, they flew me out last week for an interview. Was supposed to hear something today.
o

Postby Deacon (AYC) » Wed May 25, 2011 6:09 pm

I'm not nearly as old school as a lot of you guys (the 2003 group and whatnot), coming in late 2005. That would put me at about 12 years old when I started (as the people I gamed with know, putting up with my utter immaturity both personally and game wise. I remember Kaz and Grav struggling to tolerate my failings at DotA).

I graduated from high school last year, and have started a three year degree in Journalism this year. As much as I would love to take my Fencing as a sole career, the lack of funding in the sport here really kills that opportunity. Turning 18 was also great, seeing as that is the legal drinking age Down Under.
HOSK CLAN: CLAN HOSK
Deacon (AYC)

Postby OniBarubary » Wed May 25, 2011 6:23 pm

I remember Kaz finding me annoying and getting very sad when I found out.

Also, Scar.
OniBarubary

Postby Cassiel » Wed May 25, 2011 6:28 pm

pix wrote:Get me a job and I'll go anywhere. It's fucking insane that it will have been 8 years in July. I was 14. Goddamn.

Do you already have a job in New Awlins?
Cassiel

Postby Bobwich III » Wed May 25, 2011 7:23 pm

I've been lurking the shit out of this forum for around 7 years.

I'm a year and a half away from my bachelor's in nursing from San Diego State. Pretty clear career path for me.
Bobwich III

Postby pix » Wed May 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Ain't we just a smart group of mofuckers.

Bdn, I might just hit you up at some point. I went there this summer and recorded some writers in the know, including some young people that my friends and I stayed with, so hopefully I'll have some help once I get down there.

Cass, I got no prospects down in Nawlins. Just seems like a cool place to live. I got enough money for a couple or few months of rent so hopefully I'll be able to find a job in that time. We'll see.

Jealous of you computer science kids. Might have to live in your basements at some point.

Edit: At some point.
pix

Postby Cassiel » Wed May 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Shit, I thought about going to Tulane but I've heard too damn many stories about getting robbed.

edit: Also let's just all go here.

Spoiler:
Cassiel

Postby Ryzel » Wed May 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Down.
Ryzel

Postby harveymudd » Thu May 26, 2011 12:28 am

At 30 years old am I the oldest one here?
Not that that's a good thing...
harveymudd

Postby Nooneyouknow » Thu May 26, 2011 1:22 am

harveymudd wrote:At 30 years old am I the oldest one here?

Possibly, but you're not much ahead, I'm 28.
Nooneyouknow

Postby bdnakathelakaflammab » Thu May 26, 2011 2:46 am

Cassiel wrote:Shit, I thought about going to Tulane but I've heard too damn many stories about getting robbed.

Only people who get robbed are usually drunk dumb asses. I've noticed at my time at Tulane, there are people who get awesome scholarships, such as myself, (Hooray for not paying 40k tuition) and there are spoiled rich kids from the Northeast who are paying in full.

For example, check out this golden crime alert.
bdnakathelakaflammab

Postby gandalf37 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:23 am

harveymudd wrote:At 30 years old am I the oldest one here?

If NRJyzer was still posting he would have you beat quite a bit. :P
gandalf37

Next

Return to The Fast and the Spurious