Graduation. Shieeeet.

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

How long have you been coming to ToB.com?

Too Long
37%
8+ years (is that possible?)
30%
Fuck if I know
17%
Bhekar Ro
17%

Total votes : 30

Re: Graduation. Shieeeet.

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:26 pm

A wonderful adventure, in a wonderful night. The night! The fight. Good fight, good night.
Wut ohne Ziel. Wut ohne Folgen.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby Zeuter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:05 pm

And then they all fucked.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Serra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Myth idk what to say but I'll give it a shot:

1. It seems to me that you are disproportionately concerned with other people's approval in the context of your education. I don't know if that is anchored irl or is limited to here. And I don't know if it's because you worked hard and feel slighted or it's because you coasted onto your current path and are lashing out because of cognitive dissonance. Honestly it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks about if you actually like what you're doing. The catch is that you have to actually like what you're doing.

2. I don't know Cass for shit but if I had to isolate his intention between trying to feel superior by putting you down versus trying to help you out with some tough love I'd opt for the latter. If you firmly disagree - and I get the impression that you might - I have no idea why you'd ever revisit this community. I don't care much for spending time with assholes either.

You gotta pick how to proceed. And you gotta pick your company. Cheers kiddo.
Serra

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:03 am

I have a certified collection of mental disorder, like stamps. Can't touch that!

All this here really is not important. It's not to Cass, it's not to me, and least of all should it be to her. It's become shits&giggles about an exemplary situation. This is filed off as just another funny anecdote. This really is not about us and how we ought to rethink our relationship. Babe.

You do not need to know Cass to see what he was on about. He talked about the current employment situation for Phds in the humanities, what people should be aware of, especially if they do this for career. If you are to engage him, engage him on the matter. It is not about friendship, it is not about praise, it is not about capability, it is not about preference, but all this here is about prospect, because that clearly is most important to her, this is her reason. If you do this because you think your preference outweighs your prospect, then have fun. But if you argue about the prospect of this, in manner of emotional short-term interest, you are doing yourself a disservice, as well as to others considering this. This is serious. My shit's nothin'.

There are people that are severely depressed if they can't have their daily wine and caviar, or drug of choice, others are so if they feel dishonoured, or if they think their life is not as it should be, or if there are a bunch of bad words on a screen. Maybe they are right, but right now I'm eating pudding and spin in my chair, and I couldn't tell you what else I'd care for.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby HdM » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:16 pm

You're right, with the exception that this wasn't a thread about the advantages and drawbacks of a PhD, but a thread for personal achievements.

Don't get me wrong, I am aware that obtaining and working with a PhD has a lot of pitalls. And that one should also be very aware of them when choosing that road. But this was delivered in kind of a weird context. You didn't discuss the pros and cons of a graduation when pix opened this thread. You wished him congratulations (kind of).

Imagine the following scenario: You are unemployed for 2 years, and finally get a job at McDonald's. You know that this is not the career option you always dreamed of, but let's say in your eyes, it's better then nothing.
Now your best friend comes along, you tell him the good news, and you kind of expect cheering words and that he is a little bit excited for you too. Instead, he starts with you a discussion about entrepreneurship and how you are caught in the system now. How would you feel? Maybe not attacked, but a little bit weirded out, right?
I know that my analogy is not fully applicable, I just want to point out where the misunderstanding happens here. I'm sure that the PhD is a matter worth discussing, and I'm also fairly sure that Myth sees that similarly, but the discussion was awkwardly misplaced.

That is all.
HdM

Postby theboogleman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:32 pm

I have never seen Cass congratulate anyone on anything ever.
theboogleman

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:47 pm

I've seen it. Sort of. But two conditions must be met:
1. The matter of work is presented, not the laudation.
2. He understands and cares for the matter of work.
Still, even then, that's not to say there's nothing else to say.

If you are to point what pix meant this thread to be, it wasn't about (misre)presentation and (awkward) validation, and certainly that was not how the thread progressed either (I'd lock that shit), it was a thread about life, time and what we are doing (hence I did not lock that shit). And this gem:
pix wrote:What are you guys planning on doing? If you're in high school and graduating to the world or college, same question. Or, if you've already graduated school, any advice on life?
And that although he didn't even sound to need any, and frankly I have none, I don't know other than what I do. He appeared to be on a roll. No one knew of a problem, so what else was there to say other than what has been said.

Maybe to some this place looks scary, maybe worse than ever. That is stupid. It's only scary to stupid people, not because they're wrong, but because they are stupid, until their stupidity is exorcised. This is not a forum to adults playing stupid social games. I've grown to hate skulking around the issue so to not step on any toe, when it's just one step ahead to what matters. I'm not counselor Troi. I'm Q. *snip*
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Cassiel » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:00 pm

theboogleman wrote:I have never seen Cass congratulate anyone on anything ever.

I give people props when they make things*. Perfunctory milestones like graduating and getting married and having babies don't really qualify. The exception to this is when people make ballsy moves that go against social norms, like the kid I work with who dropped out of college to come hack on malware with us because he realized the degree was just slowing him down.

*As in, "Yeah you have an MFA, but what have you written?" Or "Yeah you have a PhD in CS, but what have you coded? Link me your Github."

Obviously Myth is going to grad school, and hopefully her experience is as awesome as mine was. But this is unlikely because a) I never had any interest in professional academia, and she does, and that's where the real problems are; and b) I don't care much about money, and she seems to think an advanced degree guarantees her financial security, and it so, so doesn't.

These are real problems with academia, not criticisms of Myth. People are forever confusing objectivity with meanness.
Cassiel

Postby pix » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:11 pm

sup dawgggggsssssss. so i've given up proper grammar on the internet so fuck that shit and fuck commas. i thought about making fun of harvey's burger problems but i didn't want him to cry. zing. jaykay dawg. good luck with that and your batshit dad. cass, why you hatin? myth, why you carin? serra, why you not a hot chick like sica? was sica even hot or was i just 15? the world may never know. rbm does i guess. intimately. rav good to see you're still crazy as shit.

thought some of you that write or like to read might be interested in my new project i did with two other friends that finally got its launch: the knox writers' house. it's an audio archive of writers (pretty legit writers) that we recorded all over the country over a two year span. the website just got put up and i had nothing to do with its construction so don't tell at me about any mistakes, but feel free to point them out and we'll get them fixed. basically, you go there, click on a random person or city or some author you know, and listen to them read their dope shit to you. also listen to them read other people's dope shit to you, like blake butler reading dennis cooper. it's a party and a half.

hope everyone's doin good/well. lemme know if any of you know any dope writers that would wanna be recorded at some point and we'll see if we ever make it out to where they/you are. party on, wayne. myth, just live your life, quit worrying so much.
pix

Postby theboogleman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Cassiel wrote:I give people props when they make things*.

Yeah come to think of it anytime erwt did a really sick skin you did praise it. I never thought you were mean just difficult to please; the father of all tobbers.
theboogleman

Postby Turkey_Slayer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:29 pm

What happened to erwt anyway? I haven't seen him post in ages.
Turkey_Slayer

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Cass means it. He's the meanest of all. He's not always mean though. In fact. Hope.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby Serra » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:39 pm

Cassiel wrote:I give people props when they make things*. Perfunctory milestones like graduating and getting married and having babies don't really qualify.

There's something to be said for appreciating such conceptions simply for what they mean to other people.

pix wrote:cass, why you hatin? myth, why you carin? serra, why you not a hot chick like sica? was sica even hot or was i just 15?

Shit pix - I feel like this is one of the more eloquent things I've ever seen you write.
Serra

Postby Cassiel » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:52 pm

Serra wrote:There's something to be said for appreciating such conceptions simply for what they mean to other people.

Nah. That's what your other friends are for. I fill a different niche. (This all applies to me as well. I didn't attend my graduations, don't celebrate birthdays, etc.)

pix wrote:Shit pix - I feel like this is one of the more eloquent things I've ever seen you write.

pix is a dope writer. #whypixisdope
Cassiel

Postby gandalf37 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:41 am

Cassiel wrote:
Serra wrote:There's something to be said for appreciating such conceptions simply for what they mean to other people.

Nah. That's what your other friends are for. I fill a different niche. (This all applies to me as well. I didn't attend my graduations, don't celebrate birthdays, etc.)

Sounds depressing.
gandalf37

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:41 am

Are you. He's no role model. He just is.
RageAgainstVoid

Postby windigo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:38 am

Lies! He came to my birthday.
windigo
Site Admin

Postby o » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:38 pm

He came, but did he celebrate?
o

Postby Cassiel » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:51 pm

Don't celebrate my birthdays. Because who gives a fuck? I sure as hell don't.
Cassiel

Postby windigo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:39 pm

That's how it is though. You think I care to celebrate my birthday? I don't give a fuck about MY birthday either - if anything it's depressing - hehe.

Still fun to get together though. And get pushed in the pool. MrShihtzu deserves much credit.
windigo
Site Admin

Postby theboogleman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Turkey_Slayer wrote:What happened to erwt anyway? I haven't seen him post in ages.

That fucking cunt. He's probably hanging with sorbo and herby living the dream.
theboogleman

Postby Eodey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:36 pm

All of this is just way too... uhh... heavy? Am I even allowed to use that word? I'm too much in the mindset of just "going with it." Maybe I'm just a hippie at heart. Either way, Serra, you always seem to speak the truth, even years later.

Also, RAV reminds me of how Gandalf talks...
Anyways, that's all I can think to say on this subject...so... anyone need some avatars? Crazy bored here these days.
Eodey

Postby Serra » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:41 am

Cassiel wrote:Nah. That's what your other friends are for. I fill a different niche.

Nah? Jesus christ Cass. If you want to play a heartless robot on the internet that's your prerogative, but if you want to play it convincingly you need to be a way bigger asshole.

To be continued. I don't have time to hash this out right now but to be motherfucking continued.

Windy: When is his birthday?

EoD: Thanks man, I appreciate that.
Serra

Postby harveymudd » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:28 am

pix wrote:i thought about making fun of harvey's burger problems but i didn't want him to cry. zing. jaykay dawg.

i am in the middle of chapter eleven, have a five hundred credit score, and being sued by the labor board, state board, and sysco. trust me, an internet ribbing won't bring me to tears. ;) just gotta stay positive
"From where do you come barbarian, and by what are you called?" Gasped the complying wench, as Grignr smothered her lips with the blazing touch of his flaming mouth.
harveymudd

Postby pix » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:19 am

Serra wrote:Shit pix - I feel like this is one of the more eloquent things I've ever seen you write.

hahahaha, thanks. i'm eloquent as shit nowadays. i've turned the page and have forgotten my angsty forum days. i mean, i just don't get why anyone's opinion matters to anyone? i'm fuckin applying to grad school right this second and cass being a dick (cass you're my boy) isn't gonna make me rethink my life. i want to go, i think it'll be good for my writing (and for me) knowing i thrive in that communal, expectations-driven environment. i don't really care if the piece of paper i end up with is gonna leave me with the same job prospects that i have now as long as i come out a better person and writer. NAH I MEAN? myth, cass is just mad his "castmember" script hasn't been picked up yet. (no joke cass, i think we should write a pilot script together or something hahah).

Cass wrote:pix is a dope writer. #whypixisdope

hahahah is it weird that this means more to me than anything my dad could ever say to me? thanks, man. i think i've gotten way better over the past few months. i've been writing quite a bit. also, i'm applying to u of o so put in a good word for me.

harvey wrote:i am in the middle of chapter eleven, have a five hundred credit score, and being sued by the labor board, state board, and sysco. trust me, an internet ribbing won't bring me to tears. just gotta stay positive

well shit, in that case: you look stupid as fuck in hats and your mom acts like a prescription drug addict. i'm kind of kidding. shit though, good luck in your shit. that sucks. stay positive is a good motto.

lastly, rav keep your rambling to your forum. it was annoying trying to find the actual discussion happening in this thread. i mean i don't really care, hahahaha, but it was annoying.
pix

PreviousNext

Return to The Fast and the Spurious