X-Com

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: X-Com

Postby Cassiel » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:50 pm

windigo wrote:So if it is the end of their business - well, good riddance. Offer a worthwhile service and people will buy it - if not quit cluttering the market.

Yeah, that's totally how the business world turns. You just need to sell something people want! The rest will work itself out! No regulation necessary or anything! If only people had known that all they needed to unseat Microsoft was a better product!
Cassiel

Postby windigo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:32 pm

Comparing apples to oranges right now. In the future we'll see.
windigo
Site Admin

Postby Cassiel » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:49 am

windigo wrote:Comparing apples to oranges right now. In the future we'll see.

windigo wrote:Amazon
Cassiel

Postby Dominant-Male » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:01 am

Wow. I'm beginning to wonder if this has anything to do with the original at all. Man this looks bad.
Woo
Dominant-Male

Postby gandalf37 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:58 am

What the frak. That could quite possibly be the worst trailer for a game. The only thing I got from it was that it is made by people who made bioshock and it's a FPS where you shoot black shit.

What is X-Com supposed to be about again?
gandalf37

Postby GraveI » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:34 am

a wondrous marraige of both over-arching strategy and more specific individual tactics wrapped up in a killer turn-based alien invasion.
I said, YEAH BABY YEAH, I am the evil Midnight Bomber what bombs things at midnight!
GraveI

Postby windigo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:37 am

Very disappointing indeed.

I do like the setting - 1950's alien invasion. It's good. But c'mon. It sure as hell isn't XCOM.
windigo
Site Admin

Postby Nooneyouknow » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:56 am

The full X-com pack is on sale on Steam for $3.74 for today. I just went ahead and nabbed it. Haven't played any of the series yet myself, by I know people who rave about who good at least the original was.
Nooneyouknow

Postby windigo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:35 am

For sure.

I just don't get why they don't remake the original with better graphics and interface improvements. It's a guaranteed win. Yet they choose to enter the saturated FPS market.
windigo
Site Admin

Postby Viikuna- » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:39 am

Game business sure is full of remakes and new versions and sequels, eh?
No Marlo, no game.
Viikuna-

Postby Cassiel » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:46 am

Cassiel

Postby harveymudd » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:51 pm

This only pertains to restaurants, but it has something to do with a few statements on how game companies have to produce great product to succeed.

In the service industry, it's not about serving fantastic food. That comes with a cost. If you want to use real mayonnaise then your gonna have to hire line cooks who know how to emulsify properly, which means they probably went to culinary school, which means they are going to make a few dollars more per hour. If you are open 7 days a week and have 6 line cooks all making a few dollars more an hour, then that adds up very fast.

Or, you could buy big gallons of mayonnaise, hire a cheaper staff, lower the cost on your food, and sell your product at a more competitive price.

You could also take that money you saved on staff and put it towards marketing, and generate more business.

You could also take that money you saved and apply it towards a more aggressive happy hour campaign.

There are tons of things you can do with that money all because you weren't arrogant and decided to use store bought mayonnaise instead of hiring more expensive line cooks to make it from scratch.

In the service industry we live in a society that expects to get triple A service at single A prices. That isn't realistic. Video game companies operate in a similar fashion. They are catering to an audience that wants triple a games at single a prices.

Is angry birds a triple a title? What about farmville? Valve is the best as disguising single A titles at triple A prices. Portal 2? 59 dollars at release, 10 hours of gameplay. Dota 2 is gonna rake in cash and that is literally a fresh coat of paint on an already DESIGNED game.

I hope this rant made sense somewhat.
"From where do you come barbarian, and by what are you called?" Gasped the complying wench, as Grignr smothered her lips with the blazing touch of his flaming mouth.
harveymudd

Postby Dominant-Male » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:35 am

Cassiel wrote:

Oh look, it's Mass Effect.
Woo
Dominant-Male

Postby Kaz » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:58 pm

It's a much more involved Mass Effect.
Kaz

Postby Deacon (AYC) » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Is this a good thing or??? The setting looks really cool, but people are getting hella butthurt on the YT comments.
HOSK CLAN: CLAN HOSK
Deacon (AYC)

Postby Dominant-Male » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:19 pm

To be fair, the gameplay actually looks good, and I'm sure it'll be a decent game at worst. The butthurt everywhere is just because of the incredible deviation from the original. If they'd called it something else, there wouldn't have been a problem.
Woo
Dominant-Male

Postby Cassiel » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:42 pm

OMG guyz the Spider-Man movies sucked cuz Spider-Man should ONLY be a comic!

(I would've gone with a WoW analogy but WoW does in fact suck. Just, you know, not because it's not an RTS.)
Cassiel

Postby windigo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:05 am

A better analogy would be Halo -> Halo Wars (or whatever it was called, the RTS).

However, the main problem with X-COM is that people have been begging for a TRUE sequel for years. And then this is announced. Probably an OK game but it doesn't scratch the same itch.

Re: restaurants and video games - I don't think the analogy holds up at all.

A video is essentially free once you have it completed. Maybe it would make sense if restaurants licensed you recipes.

The other problem is the way the market works. Video games cost 50$ (60$ for console maybe) for a new release. It doesn't matter if the studio spent 500 man hours working on it or 100000, they are sold for the same price. Barbie's Horse Adventure will sell at the same price as the new Elder Scrolls. It just doesn't make sense.

It makes AAA quality niche titles hard to produce in the first place.

Price generally goes down the faster selling and more successful it is. Which is completely contrary to the restaurant idea. And generally when you buy 1 copy you'll never buy it again.
windigo
Site Admin

Postby Dominant-Male » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:44 am

Did anyone else play Syndicate? It's getting a reboot too.

WUB WUB WUB
Woo
Dominant-Male

Previous

Return to The Fast and the Spurious