Zombie Games

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: L4D2

Postby Kaz » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:03 pm

I guess you could make it based on the situations rather than the different kinds of enemies you face.
Kaz

Postby windigo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:02 pm

Dead Rising is just a weak action game.

An actual zombie apocalypse style RPG could be pretty sweet though. Factoring keeping clean water and sources of food and all that. Keeping the party from killing each other too could be a bit of a theme. Or purposely killing human trouble makers could make things interesting on the flip side.

It's also important to factor in things like realistically people can't kill 20 zombies a minute like in dead rising. They would get tired. And what happens when you have to sleep and stuff?
windigo
Site Admin

Postby windezz » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:17 pm

windigo wrote:An actual zombie apocalypse style RPG could be pretty sweet though. Factoring keeping clean water and sources of food and all that. Keeping the party from killing each other too could be a bit of a theme. Or purposely killing human trouble makers could make things interesting on the flip side.

It's also important to factor in things like realistically people can't kill 20 zombies a minute like in dead rising. They would get tired. And what happens when you have to sleep and stuff?

That sounds more like Sims with zombie theme, rather than some sort of RPG with zombies.

Wouldn't mind seeing a RPG based on World War Z, but I just don't see the possibility to translate all those "realistic" factors into a game well, if at all.
windezz

Postby Cassiel » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:59 pm

GraveI wrote:Comparing an ARPG and a side scrolling platformer is kind of silly Cass :S.

Comparing Diablo, Diablo II and Torchlight to a zombie game is flat out retarded Grav. That's the point.

gandalf37 wrote:An RPG where you fought the same enemy over and over and over and over...would suck.....right? I'm not having a stroke and missing something am I?

Like Windigo said, you have an opportunity to make an entirely different kind of game with it. And zombies are far from the only threat in a zombie apocalypse. Do you guys not watch zombie movies?

Who's the big bad in 28 Days Later?
Hint: not zombies.

Who fucks everything up in Dawn of the Dead?

What's the central conflict of Day of the Dead?

There's an unlimited potential for different kinds of enemies in a zombie game without resorting to uberzombie garbage. Game developers are just notorious for drawing a line between an overly narrow concept of "gameplay" and everything else, then sticking everything else in the back seat. If they bring in someone to work on story at all it's usually years into production, after the game is more or less finished. These folks are then forced to do narrative gymnastics to turn the "gameplay" into something coherent. The people who buy these games are the real zombies.

For an example of how it should be done you have to look at something like BioShock. That's the real measuring stick. Ken Levine is a bad motherfucker. I would fellate him mercilessly.
Cassiel

Postby StrikeRaider » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:04 pm

Would you kindly stop debating this and actually start planning this shit out!? This could be the biggest break of the god damn century.
StrikeRaider

Postby Kaz » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:24 pm

There should be a zombie supremacist movement that help zombies into human encampments.
Kaz

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:28 am

Dude, why haven't they made that expansion pack to The Sims yet.. it would be perfect..

You live in this suburb idyll, spend weeks and months laying out the house, choosing furniture, defining a little ordinary life for your Sim, building relationships to your neighbours, and then suddenly.. zombies. Everything and everyone goes to shit and haywire, desperately struggling each in their own extraordinary way based on how you lived before, what skills their Sim learned, what jobs they have, what stuff they have available in the house for some A-Team/McGuyver action, and who and how their neighbours are and relate to then and now, and it's the best moment in gaming ever.

Why hasn't anybody at least made such a mod for it..
Nein, nein, nein! Do not be so little! When I say answer it, I mean respond to it, to Them.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby RageAgainstVoid » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:20 am

I would make a computer virus that infects pcs to look for a first Sim to mod-infect, unknowing and unprepared to the players who spent so much effort into setting up their perfect little world.. And one day, completely unwittingly, they'd log in, stroll around their house, and find their little kid feast on their dog.. "uhm.. Kathy what are you doing.. Kathy? Kathy!!", and so it spreads..
Nein, nein, nein! Do not be so little! When I say answer it, I mean respond to it, to Them.
RageAgainstVoid
More like Rage Against Roids/Rrhoids

Postby Myth » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:37 am

RageAgainstVoid wrote:I would make a computer virus that infects pcs to look for a first Sim to mod-infect, unknowing and unprepared to the players who spent so much effort into setting up their perfect little world.. And one day, completely unwittingly, they'd log in, stroll around their house, and find their little kid feast on their dog.. "uhm.. Kathy what are you doing.. Kathy? Kathy!!", and so it spreads..

Like a Sim virus. RAV, I think I love you, just a little, tiny bit.
Myth

Postby GardenGnome » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:48 pm

Subject: L4D2

windigo wrote:Dead Rising is just a weak action game.

An actual zombie apocalypse style RPG could be pretty sweet though. Factoring keeping clean water and sources of food and all that. Keeping the party from killing each other too could be a bit of a theme. Or purposely killing human trouble makers could make things interesting on the flip side.

Look up Fort Zombie.

Small developer, was released a couple of weeks back. Has it's problems, but it's a survival game rather than slaughter zombies game. The main goal is to gather other survivors in your fort, stock up on ammo, food, medicine, other equipment and stay safe in the fort. After a few weeks (ingame) a huge zombie wave attacks, the goal is to survive that.

Not possible to kill other humans though, but if you suggest it it might get included in the next update.

(sorry for sending that as a PM, hit the wrong button and didn't notice before after it was sent...)
GardenGnome

Postby Kaz » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:50 pm

L4D2 is 37.49 on steam for the next 11 hours. Tempting.
Kaz

Postby Cassiel » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:03 pm

It's free on TPB for the next ever.
Cassiel

Postby Zeuter » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:13 pm

It's 30 dollars at gamestop.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Kaz » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:29 pm

For PC?
Kaz

Postby Zeuter » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:33 pm

simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby gandalf37 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:25 am

Cassiel wrote:It's free on TPB for the next ever.

The whole point of the game is to be able to play online and blame stupid people for losing rather than play offline and blame terrible AI for losing.
gandalf37

Postby Zeuter » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:07 pm

Because the survivor AI really is terrible, and the infected AI seems to have been improved by significant amounts.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Myth » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:55 pm

That was the best thing I've seen all day.
Myth

Postby Cassiel » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:17 pm

gandalf37 wrote:The whole point of the game is to be able to play online and blame stupid people for losing rather than play offline and blame terrible AI for losing.

You seem to be under the impression that pirated games can't be played online. This is incorrect. There are more ways to play online than Steam.
Cassiel

Postby windigo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:08 am

L4D requires a good host though (I think - because of all the zombie tracking) which is why I think most people play on dedicated servers*. So it probably would be just easier to pay for the game and play it on Steam.

*Not 100% sure on this since I didn't play too much L4D. I quickly realized that spending time in TF2 is more enjoyable - for my tastes of course.
windigo
Site Admin

Postby Zeuter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:17 am

Correct, when I host on my old singlecore (Athlon 3500+) I get massive framedrops. The ping for myself and others is quite alright, however.

It should be more than fine on an i7.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Cassiel » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:46 am

Woah, someone's processor is actually older than mine. Then again mine melts motherboards and isn't 64-bit.
Cassiel

Postby Zeuter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:58 am

I got this system 5 years ago (December 2004) and figured it'd last me 5 years. It did, although it's become a bit of a ship of Theseus. A replacement here, upgrade there. This December I'm getting an i7 however, which should keep me rolling for another five years.

I remember when your computer was too slow to boot up the world editor, let alone play WC3. My first experience with WC3 was on an 800Mhz Intel Celeron, by the time DotA Allstars came around it wouldn't even load for me without disconnecting because it was so horribly optimized that my computer couldn't hande it. Good times.
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Cassiel » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:44 am

I still can't run WC3 and the World Editor simultaneously without either the monstrosity in spoiler tags below or, worse, Sudden DirectX Death Syndrome. It's the main reason things take so long. Like I spent the entire day yesterday debugging the item socketing/dynamic tooltips system. To pass the time the computer spent opening the editor/game, loading the map and running external tools and scripts, I made it through something like 9 episodes of The Big Bang Theory in 30-second to two-minute intervals. Kind of hilarious. But on the upside, we now have fully functional item socketing with tooltips that reflect the contents of each socket.

Spoiler:
gogovideo.jpg
gogovideo.jpg (362.7 KiB) Viewed 6068 times
Cassiel

Postby Tirion » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:16 am

what is

how do

that is terrible
Tirion

PreviousNext

Return to The Fast and the Spurious