Dragon Age

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dragon Age

Postby Nooneyouknow » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:07 am

Sorrows of Arlathan is probably the best in the game, if you want to use say, Red Jenny Seekers for your gloves, other wise Marjolaine's Recurve is good for Leliana. Bregan's Bow is good early game if you have it, and Far Song is just excellent, but only available if you don't find Owen's daughter. OR you get a mod to make Owen sell it.

Which DLC packs do you have? Makes it easier to give an optimal gear set up.
Nooneyouknow

Postby TheRaven7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:41 pm

The critic/user chasm on metacritic is amazingstupid.
Last edited by TheRaven7 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRaven7

Postby OniBarubary » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Thank /v/ for that one.
OniBarubary

Postby ProblemLyric » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:05 pm

liking da 2 beat it last night high dragon fight was just long not hard meh. Also the mass need for aoe spells for every fight is kinda fucking annoying. Did it as a mage and main party was varic, isabella and aveline.
[16:41] TheShaxist: dude, i bet a penis cake would taste pretty good though
ProblemLyric

Postby Kaz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Two handed warrior here and still haven't done the deep roads expedition yet. Way too busy doing sidequests and staring at the skill trees trying to figure out what I want. I figure I'll get and upgrade the two handed skills with taunt + bravery and passives from the other trees. My first spec point was reaver for the passive +dmg as you lose health which seems like a no brainer. Probably going to get templar second for the +50% magic res passive.
Kaz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:36 am

I Just finished act 1. If you spend too much gold to pay the 50 yourself, the game gives you a way out. You should still have enough to buy any skill or stat tomes/potions you come across though. I had to take the out because I spent too much on potions initially.

I'm stuck at a point where Nightmare has encounters that are ridiculously hard, and turning the difficulty to Hard makes the game laughably easy though. I'll blame a lot of that on the sheer amount of FF a 2 hand warrior can put out. Thinking about trying a S&B damage spec during act 2. If you have Claymore, and spec Reaver, your damage out is good no matter what.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:43 am

I accepted the "way out" deal but the repay double part makes me think I'll regret it. What/where is claymore?

Anyone knows if the black emporium restocks between acts? I wanna put off buying the talent/stat potions to get the 100 gold achievement.
Kaz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:07 am

You repay him with story funds, so nothing ever actually comes out of Hawke's pocket.

Claymore is the upgrade to Cleave, the center talent in the vanguard tree. Once you grab that you have 75% uptime on +100% damage.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:28 am

Wow, the rock wraith boss is some bullshit. How can you beat it without dropping the difficulty to casual? His unavoidable AoE almost kills the whole party and potions/heal are still on cooldown by the time he does it again.
Kaz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:59 am

Use the pillars to LoS the effect. That said I still had to drop it from nightmare to normal, because thanks to a bug during the dragon fight before it, Merril, Anders, and Varric all ended up with 4 wounds, and I had 1 wound kit on me. The fight is flatly impossible on nightmare when your mages have 15-20 max HP.

My strategy was thus: do as much damage as possible, when he centers himself and is no longer attackable, get the entire party behind a pillar, when he drops to the group focus fire him with Merril/Varric/Anders, use Hawke to one shot all of the adds, then DPS him with Hawke. Since there are only 4 adds the first time, this would immediately push him to the health percent when he'd do it again.
Last edited by Nooneyouknow on Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Zeuter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Nooneyouknow wrote:beacuase

FTFY
simply
it is enough to
your task is simple;
just
all you need is to
Zeuter

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Zeuter wrote:
Nooneyouknow wrote:beacuase

FTFY

-_-
Nooneyouknow

Postby RibbuM » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm enjoying the game well enough.

Pros:

I dig the dialogue system.

I like how they changed the skill trees and the lack of needing to unlock specializations.

I like the fact that they can just build on their own impressive lore setup instead of having to rely on the whole grey warden/blight situation.

Cons:

The lack of fully equipping all of your guys is disappointing.

I don't like the 'load up on quests and go do them' system the new game has adopted. Even if it mainly gave the illusion that this wasn't the case in the first one, I miss that. I'd rather it feel like long, branching story quests as opposed to doing a billion individual ones. I liked the feeling of non linear game play that the first one had. I also miss DA1's world map and the whole moving from place to place.

Most of the characters are bland or annoying. The only character that even approaches the entertainment value of Alistair and Morrigan is Varric.

I wish there were more healing options. I've taken everything I can for Anders and struggle to find him abilities I can even have him use now. I don't really want him offensive casting. I haven't played the first game in quite a while but I have to think they had more than two healing options on long cooldowns.

It never really feels like I'm having to make game altering decisions. Any time anything serious happens, it feels like there wasn't much choice anyways. It doesn't really feel like they tried to change up how you went about things or even threw in anything resembling puzzles.

I miss the camp setup and the ability to have a lot of conversation with everyone in one area. They've also toned down the sex scenes/showing of skin for some reason.

I know it sounds like I'm bitching about the game, but a Dragon Age 2 that isn't as good as the original is still head and shoulders above the rest of the garbage out there trying to pass itself off as role playing games.
RibbuM
BIGGEST YANKEES FAN EVER
BIGGEST YANKEES FAN EVER

Postby Shadowflit » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Nooneyouknow wrote:Use the pillars to LoS the effect
Hide behind a pillar or die every few seconds, whoooo. Agree that this is apparently what was intended, however.

Re: Auto attack - PC has auto attack, why wouldn't consoles? You could pretty much mash the R key throughout a dungeon and click on spells/abilities and doors. R walks your character over to loot, grabs loot, auto targets and attacks enemies... or is auto attack typically a hit once and forget button on consoles?

The first Act really bothered me in DA2, just because there's no motivation for the quests. I need money, so I run quests. Uhm, ok. Typically, I run sidequests as a break from the main story or because I need exp/gold for the main story, not because they are the story. Not having a world outside of Kirkwall bothers me. And the repetitive layout of many of the dungeons bothers me. DA2 is fun, but doesn't seem to have the same scope as DA:O.
Shadowflit

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Shadowflit wrote:
Nooneyouknow wrote:Use the pillars to LoS the effect
Hide behind a pillar or die every few seconds, whoooo. Agree that this is apparently what was intended, however.

Re: Auto attack - PC has auto attack, why wouldn't consoles? You could pretty much mash the R key throughout a dungeon and click on spells/abilities and doors. R walks your character over to loot, grabs loot, auto targets and attacks enemies... or is auto attack typically a hit once and forget button on consoles?

The first Act really bothered me in DA2, just because there's no motivation for the quests. I need money, so I run quests. Uhm, ok. Typically, I run sidequests as a break from the main story or because I need exp/gold for the main story, not because they are the story. Not having a world outside of Kirkwall bothers me. And the repetitive layout of many of the dungeons bothers me. DA2 is fun, but doesn't seem to have the same scope as DA:O.

Auto attack did not make it into the console version before the game went gold. You must push a button every time you want to do a normal attack. Act 1 of DA2=Chapter 2 of Baldur's Gate 2. It was also known for a very, very long time before release that this entire game woudl take place in Kirkwall. It's meant to be a more personal story.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:55 am

Welp, I had to drop the difficulty to casual for the act 2 boss too.
Kaz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Kaz wrote:Welp, I had to drop the difficulty to casual for the act 2 boss too.

Not there yet. I nearly had to drop to normal for Bartrand though, and then I got a bunch of lucky crits in a row, procced a couple of staggers, and he was just dead.

If/when you fight Xebenkerk, you need to split the fight in two. When she spawns with her first wave of adds, run back out into the hallway and around the corner. They'll all follow, but you'll be out of aggro range for the second (and rather stupid) wave.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:31 pm

I won't be fighting her because I read/picked up the books instead of destroying them and that apparently prevents you from completing the quest.

I don't really get how DA2 is "easy". I was playing DA:O on nightmare in my last few runs no problem but here I'm getting my ass kicked on normal. Maybe it's the extra waves spawning behind me and killing my mage/Varric and the longass cooldowns on healing.
Kaz

Postby RibbuM » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Is the Qunari leader the act 2 boss? Because he beat my ass 1 on 1. My stamina flat out did not regen and he'd swing and clearly miss and still hit me from 20-30 yards away. Maybe it was bugged.

I had to settle on declining the duel and fighting group vs group.

Also, I dropped to casual against the high dragon. That fight is some bullshit. I probably would have been fine on normal if I had more than 10 potions on me. Oh well.
RibbuM
BIGGEST YANKEES FAN EVER
BIGGEST YANKEES FAN EVER

Postby Nooneyouknow » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Kaz wrote:I won't be fighting her because I read/picked up the books instead of destroying them and that apparently prevents you from completing the quest.

I don't really get how DA2 is "easy". I was playing DA:O on nightmare in my last few runs no problem but here I'm getting my ass kicked on normal. Maybe it's the extra waves spawning behind me and killing my mage/Varric and the longass cooldowns on healing.

Yeah, you have to destroy the first 4, and read the last one. DA2 is harder than DAO on Hard or Nightmare, there's no debate. After getting used to DA2 nightmare though, evenm dropping it down to hard makes it easy enough it bores me. Although as much as I bragged up reaver earlier, the moment you have access to Silence Templar is probably the most broken thing ever. No more do I have to deal with assassin stealthing and 1 shotting characters. Hell, I think it may even stop them from chugging potions. Oh. and it always works, and always lasts full duration.

As for the cooldonws, on healing, stock up on elfroot pots. They're cheap, and unless you just have shit con are usually enough to hold you over until heal is off cooldown, especially after you spec Anders into his 20% reduced cooldown passive.

How is your 2 hand warrior specced now? I must admit, some of my power comes from me not catching on to the respec bug early enough to not abuse it. I have like an extra 8 talent points over what I should or so.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Nooneyouknow » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Ok, holy shit, the Arishok is flatly impossible on nightmare, unless you're a force mage. Staggering a 50 strength warrior on every hit is ridiculously. Even on normal it was a potion fest, and I'd have lost anyway except the vanguard deathblow kicked in at 20%, which is likely s bug, since it's only supposed to be 20% on normal enemies.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:10 pm

All 2 handed talents (to get the cheev), upgraded taunt and bravery, vanguard passives and claymore, reaver damage passive.
Kaz

Postby Shadowflit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:14 pm

Nooneyouknow wrote:It was also known for a very, very long time before release that this entire game would take place in Kirkwall. It's meant to be a more personal story.

I didn't read stuff ahead of time, heh.

Though if it was a more personal story, I would have sailed away from the mess in Kirkwall as soon as I got Izzy a ship. We could have found lots of piraty things to do for the remainder of the game.

:P
Shadowflit

Postby Nooneyouknow » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:15 am

Kaz wrote:All 2 handed talents (to get the cheev), upgraded taunt and bravery, vanguard passives and claymore, reaver damage passive.

Drop taunt and bravery for pretty much anything else, they're wasted points. At least on a 2hand. If you really want threat skills to tank with, go into Battle master and go up to fearful synergy. Heroic synergy might work well with reaver as well. Also, despite the 2 minute cooldown on devour, it's amazing. It's almost ridiculously good with both upgrades.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:57 am

Aaand beat it. Gonna roll a mage next.
Kaz

PreviousNext

Return to The Fast and the Spurious