Dragon Age

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dragon Age

Postby erwtenpeller » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Oh. Right.
erwt.blogspot.com - Personal art exposé.
www.wc3campaigns.net - For all your modding needs.
erwtenpeller

Postby gandalf37 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:18 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:So... Lilliana or Alistair?

Why not both? That's what I did.

For some reason I just don't care about DA2. I don't think I'm even going to play it. I know I should care, but something is keeping me from wanting to.
gandalf37

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm not happy about it coming out Tuesday. I haven't been able to put MvC3 down long enough to finish a final DAO run.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Kind of gay the signature edition is not available on Steam. I'm gonna be missing a bunch of items.
Kaz

Postby TheRaven7 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:04 pm

not as gay as all of the NPCs
TheRaven7

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:15 pm

I ordered off impulse to get the Signature. Saved $10 at the time too.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:43 pm

Some stores still sell the signature edition, it's just that I want it on Steam.
Kaz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:29 pm

They shouldn't still be selling it. The only possible way they could be is if they had canceled pre-orders after EA delivered the stock, or I suppose, if they just reported higher than actual pre-orders. Steam got jacked out of SE pre-order time because of an issue between Valve and EA over APB iirc.
Nooneyouknow

Postby OniBarubary » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:59 am

I'm trying to like this game, but it's doing it's damndest to thwart me.
OniBarubary

Postby Ensabahnur » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:32 am

Your allies in Dragon Age II each have a set of armor that they wear all the time. This means that you can’t equip them with the helmets, boots, and gauntlets that you find in your quest.

WTF

Source

Spoiler:
Also, whenever I login I keep having to enter a challenge phrase because it's saying my account is locked. This just started happening the last week or so, anyone else?
Ensabahnur

Postby Mengde » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:44 am

I'm having fun so far.

And if I only have to worry about what the fuck my main character is wearing, great. Micromanaging the inventories of every single one of my party members is not why I play Dragon Age.
I know the pieces fit, 'cause I watched them tumble down.
No fault, none to blame; it doesn't mean I don't desire
To point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over
To bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication.
Mengde

Postby GraveI » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:08 am

This game sucks.
I said, YEAH BABY YEAH, I am the evil Midnight Bomber what bombs things at midnight!
GraveI

Postby OniBarubary » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:57 am

Yeah. I'm really not enjoying it.

When your characters remark that the same shady dealings keep happening in the same warehouse jokingly and you realize, no wait, that's absolutely true because the game has 5 areas and you just go through them over and over and over and over it starts to grate on you REALLY fast.
OniBarubary

Postby gandalf37 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:10 pm

I read these con's at the top of the Gamespot review:
* Main story lacks focus and drive
* Multiple elements have been inexplicably simplified over the original
* Combat is much less tactical.

Fuck that. Maybe I'll download it when I'm bored and have nothing else to do.
gandalf37

Postby Nooneyouknow » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:19 pm

-Skills were dumped. They were poorly done in DAO, so no big loss.
-Talent Trees are much better now.
-Combat is EXACTLY. THE. FUCKING. SAME. The only thing missing are the spell combos, and the gigantic AoE spells I never had any real use for anyway.
-Other than the Darkspawn, once you install the hi-res texture pack, the game looks about a thousand times better than DAO.
-The slight changes to what each stat does, and the lessened NPC equipment management is a good thing. The inventory management overall is now better.
-I miss the iso view, but I also understand why it's gone, and have no need to throw a huge fit over it.

Caveats: I speak only for the PC version. The consoles don't have an auto-attack at the moment, and that's a huge change. But I logged nearly 800 hours in DAO, and there is certainly no "ruined forever" shit going on here.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Mengde » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:45 pm

Amen Zah. I loved DA:O and I'm enjoying this game. I'm not sure it's as good as the first one, but I'm having a good time. Granted, you guys sound like you've put in more time than I have currently, so we'll see how I feel after I've played for 10+ hours.

On the one hand I wish there were an auto-attack button on the consoles, on the other having to press a button to attack feels very hack-and-slashy and those are my favorites kinds of games so I can't say yea or nay. All I'm sure of is that my mage will transition in mid-combo from hurling fire bolts to smacking bitches up in her grill with her staff and that's badass.

Also: if enemies are coming to rape my face, I CAN RUN AWAY AND THEY WILL MISS NOW. Oh thank heavenly Jesus yes.
Mengde

Postby Bobwich III » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Should I play the first one before playing this game? The idea of going through a 60 hour game just to play another is daunting.
Bobwich III

Postby Kaz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:21 pm

How do you spend 800 hours in DA? I completed the game like 8 times and it was about 350.
Kaz

Postby Mengde » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:30 pm

Bobwich III wrote:Should I play the first one before playing this game? The idea of going through a 60 hour game just to play another is daunting.

I highly recommend DA:O because it is a wonderful game. But you don't need to play it to play DA2. I played DA:O on the PC, so I didn't have any saves to import on my 360, but it's okay because DA2 gives you a few options for your canon choices, which is very nice and should have been in ME2.

Also Fenris's intro is fucking METAL. THAT is the way to make me want to use a character, guys.
Mengde

Postby OniBarubary » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:48 pm

It's not a terrible game, not really. I just don't like it. Too many things added up that they changed for the worse in my eyes.
OniBarubary

Postby Nooneyouknow » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Kaz wrote:How do you spend 800 hours in DA? I completed the game like 8 times and it was about 350.

My first play alone was close to 150 hours. After that I mostly just kept restarting and fucking around with different character builds. Especially ones people cried weren't viable at all, like archery, which is actually grossly overpowered done right. Shit, I managed to blow nearly 80 hours in my first run of Awakening. I lost a lot of time to reloads on Nightmare before I really settled into a "this is how you play this game" groove. After that I bitched it was too easy. Oh, and I never skipped any of the dialogue, since I was usually picking different lines to see how the NPCs would respond.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Nooneyouknow » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:39 pm

OniBarubary wrote:It's not a terrible game, not really. I just don't like it. Too many things added up that they changed for the worse in my eyes.

Like what? Other than superficial changes, not much actually changed. That's why I'm having issues with these comments.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:56 pm

Archery? Did you use a bow with no rapid aim with maxed out dexterity and rapid fire?
Kaz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:01 am

Negative. You take a rogue, grab Combat Movement, Aim, work your way to Scatter Shot, then Arrow of Slaying, then master archer, and spec bard. Whore cunning. Max Stealth. Between the improved flanking from Combat Movement, Aim, and Song of Courage you can push 80%+ crit rate before Awakening. To make it grossly overpowered, you use the repeater gloves from RtO, which allows you to use Aim and still fire at the quickest possible speed of 1.6. Or just use a fan patch to fix haste effects interacting with bows for the same effect. Or use Shale in Rock Mastery. Either way, you'll be firing off nearly guaranteed crits every 1.6 seconds. Scattershot does ridiculous damage, and Stealth will force it to crit on all targets. Suppressing Fire has no maximum stack, it reduces the enemies attack rating by 7.5 every hit, and refreshes the duration of the debuff. Arrow of Slaying is always worth using on cooldown as well, because at worst it's a double damage critical hit. Rapid Aim is actually complete garbage, since all it reduces is the aim time of the bow - which is .2 seconds for a shortbow, .3 for a long bow, and .5 for a crossbow. like the rapid aim property, it has no effect on the cast time of specials.

The reason archery seems bad is because people want to use every skill on cooldown, and don't really plan a build ahead. Most people also seem to think that because you can't backstab with a bow, that it doesn't get flanking bonuses either.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:25 am

I'll try specing Leliana like that next time I play. What bow?
Kaz

PreviousNext

Return to The Fast and the Spurious