Dragon Age

Off-topic forum which is now, paradoxically, the on-topic forum. Any on-topic posts will be moved to the off-topic forum and verse-vica.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dragon Age

Postby Nooneyouknow » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:43 pm

Skill books are much, much rarer than talent/spell books. Although you'll run into Old Tegrin about 7 billion more times.
Nooneyouknow

Postby BloodPrince » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:31 pm

I need this game. Asap.

I already downloaded the DLC from tpb. now I just need the game.
BloodPrince

Postby windezz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:56 pm

There's one in Redcliffe? I must've missed it somewhere. Who sells it?

Couldn't really get many elfroots at Lothering, low on fund on that point and the town does not last for long.
windezz

Postby Kaz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:57 pm

The barkeep sells elfroot and flasks and the normal poultice recipe too if you don't have it already. Annoyingly, no distillation agent.
Kaz

Postby Mengde » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:26 pm

Spoiler:
I actually like Alistair, so I had him carted off to get executed to get the Recruiter achievement, then reloaded and had him kill Loghain in front of his daughter. Epic lulz. Also, I totally could have tried to convince everyone to let me rule alongside Alistair, but I decided to save that for the next playthrough where I actually do his romance subplot.
I know the pieces fit, 'cause I watched them tumble down.
No fault, none to blame; it doesn't mean I don't desire
To point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over
To bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication.
Mengde

Postby windezz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:41 pm

The dwarf merchant at your camp has unlimited stock on all three agents and the flask. I think he also has unlimited stock on trap triggers too, but not sure on that.
windezz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:28 pm

So, I'm now playing a male human noble dual wield warrior on nightmare. And um...it's easier than the mage was on normal. By far. Dual Weapon Sweep and Flurry are completely broken.
Nooneyouknow

Postby gandalf37 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:29 pm

You just described my exact playthrough wind. I have yet to go to Mage Tower so I don't have Wynn yet.

Nooneyouknow wrote:So, I'm now playing a male human noble dual wield warrior on nightmare. And um...it's easier than the mage was on normal. By far. Dual Weapon Sweep and Flurry are completely broken.

I went shield skills. They are not broken :?

The barkeep in Redcliffe hasn't restocked on elfroot. I bought him out a while ago and he hasn't gotten any more and the dwarf in camp doesn't have any either. I am severely desperate for potions.
gandalf37

Postby StrikeRaider » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:39 pm

Yeah so I uninstalled and reinstalled it so I could 'use' some of them dlc floating around. Lost all the specializations I had earned. No more ranger for Zevran. I almost cried.
StrikeRaider

Postby Kaz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:43 pm

So... should I buy talent books? Will the merchant in camp refresh them?
Kaz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:47 am

I had his inventory refresh multiple times, up until the point it was more gear I sold him than he started with, and then he stopped refreshing. But yes, just buy every book you see and can afford. Make sure to quicksave before using a stat book however, any of them other than the one you start with if you have the CE are really random 1-5 points on use.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:48 am

gandalf37 wrote:You just described my exact playthrough wind. I have yet to go to Mage Tower so I don't have Wynn yet.

Nooneyouknow wrote:So, I'm now playing a male human noble dual wield warrior on nightmare. And um...it's easier than the mage was on normal. By far. Dual Weapon Sweep and Flurry are completely broken.

I went shield skills. They are not broken :?

The barkeep in Redcliffe hasn't restocked on elfroot. I bought him out a while ago and he hasn't gotten any more and the dwarf in camp doesn't have any either. I am severely desperate for potions.

Head to the Brecilian Forest then. The elves have infinite elfroot.
Nooneyouknow

Postby windezz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:22 pm

Still hasn't found anyone in Redcliffe with infinite elfroot supply.

The elven camp in Brecilian Forest does have it, though. Buy all you need when the NPC trades with you, because after that he will refuse to do so again until you've finished the quest without deciding to kill all the elves.

Funny thing is I decided to stop trying to use different party members and settled down with Wynne, Morrigan, and Leliana. With two mages healing and tossing CC/aoes, I haven't used many healing pots since.

Just finished Broodmother...fugly hag was fugly, but the narration before the encounter was way disturbing.
windezz

Postby DE » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:30 pm

I really dunno about having Leliana as a ranged character. I really want her to be a melee rogue, like Zevran - and I could easily pick Zevran over her, but her Bard specc is just too great. Ugh.
DE

Location: Developing compromising photos in a red-room, of course.

Postby Kaz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:53 pm

It was before you save the village from the undead I think because I returned to the tavern since then and he doesn't sell as many things
Kaz

Postby windezz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Ah...guess I missed it.

Shoulda talked him into helping out with the defense and then watch him die :P

Yeah I think I'd try Leliana in melee dps spec if she didn't come with points in archery and Bard already.

As it is though I gave her a decent bow and a point in Ranger, so it's not too bad either, with Aim and a tier 6 special bow from werewolf ruin (I think?) she's got over 30% crit chance, but not so great damage due to more points in Cunning for lock picking over Dex only. I think Str would also help out with damage somewhat, as a lot of bows have strength modifier now.
windezz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:05 pm

No, pure cunning and dexterity is what you want, she just needs lethality.
Nooneyouknow

Postby windezz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:14 pm

Hmm I heard that Dex/Str still give more damage than Dex/Cun with Lethality, is that true?
windezz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:09 am

No, it's not. It would still give more attack, but then you'd never be able to open any locks or disarm traps.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:31 pm

The bow you get from Leliana's side quest is pretty good, tier 7 with +3 cunning +3 damage and rapid aim (no idea what that does). I think I'm gonna keep her as an archer. Scattershot's AoE stun looks pretty good.

Not sure where to spend my stats now that I reached the pre-reqs for all the talents. Should I keep giving Morrigan magic or willpower for extra mana? 5 per point doesn't seem like a whole lot. I guess my warriors could use more constitution.
Kaz

Postby windezz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:18 pm

I HATE Shattershot when it's coming from the enemy archers, cause it's never just one round of stun, it's half a dozen archers using that ability.

The aoe radius seems to be as big as a fireball at times.

Not that it matters, almost done with my first play through, then it's L4D2 time.
windezz

Postby Mengde » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:49 pm

Just finished my first playthrough! 46 hours 44 minutes 04 seconds, got a little more than half the achievements (go figure) and explored a little less than half the content (also go figure). Played an elf mage, so I'm thinking I'll go human warrior next time.
I know the pieces fit, 'cause I watched them tumble down.
No fault, none to blame; it doesn't mean I don't desire
To point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over
To bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication.
Mengde

Postby Nooneyouknow » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:57 pm

I honestly can't believe people called mages overpowered and easy mode while DW warriors exist. Dual Weapon Striking+Berserk=one shot everything not orange con on nightmare. there's no way this level of damage out can actually be intended, it's fucking nuts.
Nooneyouknow

Postby Kaz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:05 pm

What did you do, spend all your stats on strength? Would you spend more than 40 in magic for a mage?
Kaz

Postby Nooneyouknow » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:22 pm

I'm not even level 10 yet, and you can't dump it all into strength for DW. And yes, I did put practically every point into Magic on my mage. Magic is a completely master stat. spells cost less to use than physical skills, mana regenerates faster in battle than stamina, and there are mana pots. Oh, and if you take blood magic, you can lso cast from HP, and steal massive amount of HP from party members for barely hurting them. Magic is far more sustainable than physical skills in this game, and does significantly less damage.

Bleh, I was going to link my final stats for my mage, but the online profile hasn't updated since level 14,
Nooneyouknow

PreviousNext

Return to The Fast and the Spurious